30 Days Annual Leave a year?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by walkyrie, Jan 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

In a couple of months the Swiss are holding a referendum on whether or not the statutory annual leave allowance should be increased from 20 to 30 days per annum.

Now there are two obvious camps:
    • The average low income worker will love it.
    • The self employed and SME owners will hate it.
    But what about the rest? If this idea came to the UK which way would you vote? It'd be great to have more holidays, but what effect would that have on your day to day life? Your employer? The Country's GDP?

There would also be all kinds of practical implications. How would it be implemented? Would TUPE liabilities go up over night - and would this in turn devalue businesses and the economy as a whole?

Stand by. Go.
  2. Ha. Chance to take the leave I get already would be a fine thing.
  3. It would be shit if we got reduced down to 30 days leave....38 + and sometimes can't squeeze all the extra in
  4. doesn't the UK get 20 + 8 anyway? or is this Swiss vote 30 + statutory / Bank holidays which is more than a lot of people get unless they have really long service with one employer
  5. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

It would be 30 + statutory. But the treatment of statutory holidays in Switzerland is different to here. There are different rules about lieu days etc.
  6. 30 days? Ha! I used to get 10 from the employer (now increased to 14, because of my 4 years there) + public holidays, a total of about 20-22 days. This is back home in the U.S.

Since I have been transferred here to the U.K., I am on the local contract which give me 25 + bank holidays.
  7. If I was Swiss I'd want a few more days off, I mean yodelling, making watches out of cheese, building log cabins out of gold bars and dodging wars 24/7, it must all get on your ****ing tits after 400 years or so. Even shagging goats and pushing wheelchairs off a cliff gets boring after a century or two!
  8. Why should it devalue businesses and the economy?

Seems to work perfectly well in Germany for one.