• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

.30 cal brownings at shorncliff

First off I've probably spell Shorncliff wrong. I remember being in the acf down at Folkestone in the late 80's and going on ex for the night with the junior leaders ( poor sods ) .It was an ambush and I'm sure they had one maybe two .30 cals am I right did you have them ?

Doubt it. I was at Shorncliffe in 1971/72 when it was JIB. The standard range of infantry weapons were taught there including the GPMG. The .30 Browning was only used by armoured types in those days. I was trained up on the .30 in 1974 prior to my second tour across the water at Crossmaglen, South Armagh. Four of us were sent up to Yorkshire to one of the tank regiment units, I can't recall which one now, for a weeks course on the .30 because we would have to man those mounted in the Saracens if they were ever used. By the time we actually got to XMG, three of the lads were posted elswhere leaving just me able to use the .30 Browning. Maybe things had changed by the time you did your thing as a cadet with them but I would be surprised.

My TA unit were using them into the late 80s, mounted on Ferrets, with a tripod, just like Action Man. So it might have been TA rather than JLR.

The Gurkhas used them for 'enemy weapons' when I did PCBC on SPTA (early 90's). We captured a jammed one in Imber, but couldn't get the damned thing to work no matter how hard we kicked it.

Certainly never spotted one there in 77/78 with IJLB. Having been force fed Commando comics by my Dad since I was 2, I would have spotted it straight away, with my steely gaze as practised from the comics.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was IJLB. It was a night ambush and one of the female cadets went down ( fannarr fannarr ) and it was called off. What I could of seen was a GPMG in sf role with the butt taken off. It was dark. Always felt sorry for the junior bleeders they always looked ragged. But where always up for a fight down the rotunda.

Doubt it. I was at Shorncliffe in 1971/72 when it was JIB. The standard range of infantry weapons were taught there including the GPMG. The .30 Browning was only used by armoured types in those days. I was trained up on the .30 in 1974 prior to my second tour across the water at Crossmaglen, South Armagh. Four of us were sent up to Yorkshire to one of the tank regiment units, I can't recall which one now, for a weeks course on the .30 because we would have to man those mounted in the Saracens if they were ever used. By the time we actually got to XMG, three of the lads were posted elswhere leaving just me able to use the .30 Browning. Maybe things had changed by the time you did your thing as a cadet with them but I would be surprised.
Could have done with you for the 2RGJ tour of Co Tyrone in '79.....when a biff from I (Support) Coy had an ND with one.

Swift and Bold mate

The RUC had them in a ferret type turret on top of the Shorland (a sort of armoured landrover rebuilt by Short Bros). They were painted grey and all ended up as range targets in Magilligan, or somewhere.

They appeared in infantry platoons in the early Nineties to give them more firepower. Ones I saw used by the Duke of Wellies had a white plastic belt which held the round at both ends.

Could have done with you for the 2RGJ tour of Co Tyrone in '79.....when a biff from I (Support) Coy had an ND with one.

Swift and Bold mate
That's strutting your stuff having an ND with one of them things :) Fortunately, I never joined that club. There was a loading option called the lazy mans load with the .30 Browning. Basically, you left the top cover down and fed the metal leader on the clothe belt through the side of the gun and pushed it in hard until it clicked in. You then cocked it once and fired it off. It went clunk! You then cocked it again and you were ready to party :). Scared the crap out of an RCT driver once when he watched me do that. He thought it was going to go bang when I squeezed the trigger the first time. I don't know if the modern .50 did that?

Swift and Bold to you as well!

some were about in shorncliffe I remember seeing them as a cadet and thinking they were rather old fashioned but we were running around with .303s and brens.
remember the cadet training team arguing wheather one of the brens was actually an LMG turned out it was a bren gun :)

some were about in shorncliffe I remember seeing them as a cadet and thinking they were rather old fashioned but we were running around with .303s and brens.
remember the cadet training team arguing wheather one of the brens was actually an LMG turned out it was a bren gun :)
When was that because they were not at the J.I.B. in Sir John Moore Barracks, Shorncliffe in 71/72. All the weapons being used there both for training and live firing were at the time, current infantry issue, i.e. SLR's, SMG's, GPMG's, Browning 9mm's, 2" mortars and 84mm charlie g's etc. I have read on here of some boy soldier unit's still using 38 patt webbing etc but the boy soldiers at the J.I.B. were using 58 patt even in those distant days. There were not any L.M.G.'s there either at that time and the only time I ever came across an L.M.G. was in Crossmaglen in 74/75 where we used them mainly in and around XMG.

There were a very small selection of older deactivated weapons kept in a display in one of the classrooms as a kind of museum. I recall one of them being a German schmeisser. Those weapons were only for display in that room and were never taken outside of the room.

Last edited:

Latest Threads