30.06 vs .308

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by flipflop, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen.

I am looking buying another rifle for deer and would like some advice on calibre selection. I already own a .243, but want something a little larger to take up to Scotland. Could someone kindly set out the pros and cons of these two calibres?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Both will do the job on anything you would meet in Scotland, but .308 would offer better ammo choice, availability and price.

3. .308 will do the job with a bit less powder.
    The 3006 will drive the projectiles faster.
    Some european wont let you use .308 because it is considerd to be a millitary cal. I beleive the 3006 is acceptable even although it has been used by some armys in the past.
    The 3006 will recoil a bit more than the 3008 if it is driving the rounds faster.
    Loads more differances but thats a starter for 10.
    TBH I think it is down to personnal preferance

Dave

4. Wider choice of rifles too although you might as well just buy hte SAKO anyway. :)

5. I know recoil is a complex topic, but for a given weapon, isn't it more closely related to muzzle energy than to muzzle velocity?

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Velocity makes more difference - basically because the energy is sent back faster.

But weight of the weapon firing the projectile probably makes the biggest factor to consider if recoil is the issue.

7. Kinetic energy is 1/2 x the mass x the Velocity Squared. Because the velocity is squared, increasing it increases the energy much more than an increase in bullet weight does.

8. Was looking at a 270 but in the end went for a 308 - deer in Scotland being the main reason
    Variation granted and I've ordered a Howa 1500 from Biped.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

9. Both .30Cal
    So if you drive a 150 grain from a .308 at 2900 fps and
    150 grain from a 3006 at 3100fps then the 3006 will give you more felt recoil provided that both rifles weigh the same.

muzzle energy and muzzle velocity are directly related.

Dave

10. Guys, don't fall into the trap of worrying about muzzle energy for determining recoil -- it is momentum rather than energy that we are worried about.

Measured recoil is a function of projectile momentum and gas momentum. This gives you the rifle momentum back towards your shoulder, which you can then translate into recoil energy.

Felt recoil, on the other hand, is entirely subjective and due to rates of application, stock fit, and so on.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I personally wouldnt go with either, both the 6.5 swede and 7mm mauser aka .275 Rigby are more than adequate for reds in PW land. The swede is the most available and both are very good loads from Federal if a little pricey but will take all deer comfortably beyond what the Ghillie would let you shoot at!
    Given time and patience I would buy more 7mm mausers for clients and develop some good 140 grain loads.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

7 mauser and 08 are both popular hunting rounds on the continent with a huge choice of bullets.
    I use 6.5 Swedish, but not for hunting - super accurate. Bullets tend to be quite long, which suggests they may deflect or tumble more than others...

13. Christ give me strength!
    More whining about "recoil", or "they kick hard"!
    Address the weapon correctly and .303, 30-06 and .308 have no issues.
    A bad workman ALWAYS blames his tools.

-breaths-

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My bold, I havent recovered a bullet yet from deer, the ones I have reovered from the earth bank back stop expand reliably. The shorter bullets would be less stable but as they are slim for their weight they tend to be very stablle. I did see a Belgian study on bullet stability using mortar detecting radar on various bullets fired across a lake to remove ground clutter. I dont recall the exact results but with maths included the 2 best performers over distance stability wise were 140 to 180 grain 6.5 and 7mm bullets.

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

.308 is able to provide a 12" group at 1200 yards with the right rifle and firer.

Thus, bullet tumble/wobble is immaterial when it comes to stalking in woodlands or on the hill. As Ugly pointed out - you won't be taking the shot anywhere near the maximum effective range of either calibre.

30.06 or .308 . . . . . both will do the job just fine, so it's down to personal choice. There ARE more rifles and bullets available in .308 calibre in the UK, and the ammo is on the whole cheaper.

As for recoil - as pointed out, it's not that big a deal. If it's important to you, get yourself a heavy barrelled rifle and/or a reasonable moderator. Either will significantly mitigate muzzle flip and felt recoil, albeit they'll change the balance and weight of the rifle significantly too.

Edited to add: I think it's more important to consider whether you want a lightweight woodland stalking rifle, or a heavier rifle for hill stalking and range shooting. The former means a light barrel and action, possibly without a moderator, and a light, low-mag, wide FOV scope, whereas the latter will more likely require a heavy barrel, and heavier/more capable scope, and maybe a bipod, and while you're at it, it won't hurt to bung a moderator on . . . . . but get exercising and practicing if you want to shoot off-hand with such a rig.