3 year occupation of Iraq?

Very good question gunny.

Answers on a postcard - first prize is a new bucket and spade for digging trenches!!

Amazing, we say it here-It comes out there.........

Does this mean that we can get out of the Balkans, finally? After all, if we are there any longer, they'll start thinking about making the tour there a 2 year married accompanied slot.....!

About time we had an alternative sunshine posting, cyprus is so passe!

Gunny - In Korea you don't want to think about asking for a hot dog.

Korean Proverb - A dog is not just for Christmas.  With a bit of luck there will be some left over for Boxing Day.

Ventress

LE
They are saying it will be like the Occupation of Japan in 1945, General McArthur oversaw the transition to peace.

I think Gen Willy Franks (Maybe), a US Gen is being touted as the next 'President' of Iraq!

I must get some CD's sorted out and hire a i.s.o container.......

Why not make it two years married accompanied - means you can take all 14 wives with you!  Imagine that, no M&S there in downtown B-D..... the AFF would never stand for that!

T

Toerag

Funny thing this 3 years. Kuwait authorities are pouring concrete for the new hard standing British military hospital.

Expected life, initially 5 yrs with possibilities to modify at later date to 10+ yrs  :eek:.

3 years? 30 more like.

All that lovely open space for the tanks to play in, huge tracts of unpopulated areas for operational low flying training, the boxheads kicking up stink about all those occupation forces sausage side, I reckin we just found a place to move whats left of BAOR into.

British Army of the Desert anyone?

Funny thing this 3 years. Kuwait authorities are pouring concrete for the new hard standing British military hospital.

Expected life, initially 5 yrs with possibilities to modify at later date to 10+ yrs  :eek:.

Toerag is this straight up?  Are they really laying concrere?

T

Toerag

Afraid to say yes, was on a recce approx 3 weeks ago for the DMS/DSCA. Large concrete shutters/boards where in place at the time, with plans to pour approx a square mile of surface for a hard standing medical unit.

It was pointed out at the time with all the sand shift etc that in time it may well slide in to the sea but it fell on deaf ears. So it may well become some beach side resort.  ;D

Good news - Iraq is not a dry (ie alcohol free) country unlike Kuwait or Saudi.

In fact Saddam imports 200 cases of Scotch per week - so this is a real incentive to get to Tikrit first  ;D

Yes,

That will be the Iraq where women have the vote (even if it has to be Saddam) can drive a car, buy alcohol, wear whatever clothing they like, make up nearly half of university students, a quarter of engineers, a third of doctors, can own property, have their husband arrested for beating them up, which has the largest indigenous Christian community in the middle-east out side the Lebanon, has a small Jewish community with it's own synagogue  (both communities protected by law).  Yes totally barbaric country compared to its liberal neighbours Saudi and Kuwait.

P.S.  Who was the last person found guilty of keeping a slave in the UK under the rather arcane Slavery Act……………. Oh yes I remember now it was a member of the Kuwaiti royal family in 1991.