3 x things worth a mention

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowser-Mong, Mar 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1) I know this should be on the Senior Service site but the Sea Harrier saw its last day in service today (Fleet Air Arm soon to follow) after 30 odd years service leaving the Navy without any effective defence. Well done pennypinchers.
    2) A WW2 pilot who escaped from POW camps seven times has died aged 102. His name was Sqn Ldr Eric Foster. RIP.
    3) The crabs have had to pay compensation to a woman who claims that low flying chinnoks have caused cracks to appear on the walls in her 15th Century house. Doodums.

2. 1. Yes, sad.
    2. Good obituary in the Telegraph.
    3. I note that the RAF spokesman was reported as saying that he had little sympathy for the couple as "they had bought the house in the full knowledge that it was an operational base and that the airbase had been there for about 80 years"! So, the house was there first, I guess, by some 400 years!
    4. How about including the last day of the Black Watch?

Litotes

3. Why the Black Watch? Are you aware that there are other Regiments out there as well?

4. I am, but it was the article in the Times which jogged my memory - and that was almost exclusively about the Black Watch.

It is a sad day for Scotland and for the Infantry when a piece of their history is consigned to the dustbin of life. But until the Government starts paying soldiers a decent wage, we will always have a problem recruiting and that will make it easier for the politicians to cut regiments in order to save money that can then be used for pork-barrel politics.

Cynical? Yes!

Litotes