3 (Volunteer) Military Intelligence Battalion HQ

Contact details for the Bn are below, you can ask me what you like but bear in mind that I'm old and grumpy so "what's it like being a LCpl" will be met by "In my day ... smell of 58 pattern webbing ... SMG .." and so on.

3 MI

One_of_the_strange said:
Contact details for the Bn are below, you can ask me what you like but bear in mind that I'm old and grumpy so "what's it like being a LCpl" will be met by "In my day ... smell of 58 pattern webbing ... SMG .." and so on.

3 MI
Leave him alone, he's probably the new RSM!

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
One_of_the_strange said:

3 MI
Nope, they're all Regs and usually younger than me.

One_of_the_strange said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
One_of_the_strange said:

3 MI
For usually please read always considerably.

two_of_seven said:
Hi

Is there anyone from the above unit who could help with a few (non-opsec) questions?
What do you know? I can't see anything in this message that suggests a non-reg or older than OOTS. Surely being younger than OOTS is a prerequisite for an arrse ID?

rebel_with_a_cause said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
One_of_the_strange said:

3 MI
For usually please read always considerably.
This from someone who can legitimately refer to me as "young man" ....

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
two_of_seven said:
Hi

Is there anyone from the above unit who could help with a few (non-opsec) questions?
What do you know? I can't see anything in this message that suggests a non-reg or older than OOTS. Surely being younger than OOTS is a prerequisite for an arrse ID?
That smarts. We did have computers in my day you know, proper ones, mail order from Sinclair, then the green screen Apple ][, PDP 11 and 8 inch floppy disks - ooh, then let's not forget VAX/VMS and FORTRAN (actually, let'd forget FORTRAN), then those new fangled PCs, never thought they'd catch on, I loved my Amiga, the thrill of a real live Pentium (100 MHz !) ....

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
yep, i still remember paying 1800 quid for a brand new Pentium 100 in 1996 :(
I don't usually like praising the "techy types" but when one considers what we were using computers for in the 80s (think NI) I cannot believe now it was possible with the processing power available! I can remember too being blown away by the arrival of a 286 with Windows in Sy Coy South in '93. Golf, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, you name it......

Or maybe it just goes to show how much RAM Windows pisses away running programs in the background?

Standing by for "techy type" to turn pedant for a change!

i remember my BBC Model B Micro (circa 1983) had a whopping 32k of memory. my current PC has 4GB, which is 125,000 times as much.

i also remember my 8MB RAM upgrade in 1996 costing me 80 quid. the 4GB of Kingston RAM i just bought cost 50 quid. so bang for your buck, thats a factor of about 800x difference. :oops:

One_of_the_strange said:

3 MI
So what's it like now? "Smell of wee... no sharp edges..." ;)

msr

i remember my BBC Model B Micro (circa 1983) had a whopping 32k of memory. my current PC has 4GB, which is 125,000 times as much.

i also remember my 8MB RAM upgrade in 1996 costing me 80 quid. the 4GB of Kingston RAM i just bought cost 50 quid. so bang for your buck, thats a factor of about 800x difference. :oops:
It also seems to show that you can spot a bargain from a mile off! :lol: :lol:

Budget Holders take note - CR is a shoe in as a procurement professional

:wink:

msr said:
One_of_the_strange said:

3 MI
So what's it like now? "Smell of wee... no sharp edges..." ;)

msr
Well, I was never allowed near sharp edges when I was young, but now we can add moaning at the sprogs (read: anyone under 40) that they couldn't recognise the T-62 on the news; realising your metal mug entered service in 1988 or thereabouts; finally chucking the flask of similar vintage; realising that people actually listen to what I say so trying to remember not to talk too much cack and always having a spare lesson in ones back pocket.

Oh and for nostalgists: when norgies were bought from a camping shop and came with button cuffs; 3 Shock Army; wondering whether the SMG sear would break when on the range; buying your own bergen; trops and smocks in the field; lightweights and a woolly pully with a bootlace in the neck in the office ... things are so much better now !

One_of_the_strange said:
Oh and for nostalgists: when norgies were bought from a camping shop and came with button cuffs; 3 Shock Army; wondering whether the SMG sear would break when on the range; buying your own bergen; trops and smocks in the field; lightweights and a woolly pully with a bootlace in the neck in the office ... things are so much better now !
Except for the bit about 3 Shock, and the fact that I never had an SMG, how is everything you just mentioned worse than now?

Perevodchik said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Except for the bit about 3 Shock, and the fact that I never had an SMG, how is everything you just mentioned worse than now?
I'll give you lightweights and woolly pully, I'd prefer that to 95 in the office.

The kit though was rubbish. That's why we paid a fortune to buy the stuff I mentioned that didn't fall apart. I didn't even get started on 58 pattern, buying a second bum roll, keeping those damned kidney pouches together with bungees - well, until you bought some decent pouches, trying to fit SMG mags in pouches designed for SLR, that godawful abortion of a quote large unquote pack, that damned sleeping bag that spewed rotting feathers onto you as you failed to fit all your body inside it.

And today, unless you're a kit tart that just has to have a titanium spork you can use the issue kit with no dramas. When I joined there were things that you had to buy or you just couldn't operate (bergen, norgie etc). Today you get it all.

I can beat that, £25 for a Memorex 16k ram pack for a ZX81 8O

leveller said:

I can beat that, £25 for a Memorex 16k ram pack for a ZX81 8O
I see your ZX81 and raise you an Acorn Atom - £11.50 for a 512byte ram chip - extend from 1k to 12k - the cheapo USB stick I bought last year would have been over £20M at those prices (instead of £3.99...) 8O