3 US Christian NGO Medics shot by ANP officer

F

Flash Back

Alcohol & politics - they no mix, as G W Bush learnt to his expense.

I profer a half-hearted apology and suggest that the good survivors choose a safer territory in which to practise their kindly deeds. I believe that there are needy people in Angorra.
1. I preferred him when he was an alcoholic - sobered up, found God (or a ready made audience anyway) then started 2 un-winnable wars. Un-winable unless you are a defence contractor, security contractor, private contractor or oil company. Fcuk what we leave in our wake, we got 10yrs good profit out of that.

2. Yes.

1. I preferred him when he was an alcoholic - sobered up, found God (or a ready made audience anyway) then started 2 un-winnable wars. Un-winable unless you are a defence contractor, security contractor, private contractor or oil company. Fcuk what we leave in our wake, we got 10yrs good profit out of that.

2. Yes.
A fair summary - regrettably for the world.

Yeah they work at the jumper factory.

You ******* downy.
White-knighting a bloke, without his request: bless you, Spazz. You're lovely.

Old-Salt
For me it was a look at another culture, centuries old - been in fobs built around forts that we probably used 100yrs ago. A grey beard LEC shaking my hand and telling me i was a good man. The kids by the road who dropped the stones they were going to throw after i waved & smiled first. Hearts & Minds was on orders.
Eh?

A centuries old culture of dope smoking kiddie fiddling thieving cnuts, watching the ******* trying to strip everything off the back of a epls while you try to wing the thieving cnuts with a mini flare. Bollocks to hearts and minds, the cnuts

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Stupid on both sides - taking bibles into the situation that exists in Afghanistan, and shooting children's & maternal medics ffs… ??
3 Doctors shot and who said they brought bibles in?

They've been treating some 3600 patients a month since 2006.

F

Flash Back

3 Doctors shot and who said they brought bibles in?

They've been treating some 3600 patients a month since 2006.
I acknowledge that - incredibly brave, generous & vital that they were there. But still naive.

I would be interested to know more about the Org. What'd you know?

And medics or doctors?

F

Flash Back

I agree, it was interesting on my first tour, we'd go in and either clear a village or simply chase the talibs away. Normally then the locals would come out and talk to you shake your hands for saving their kids etc.
I bet that's quite something, hat's off to you.

But... i can't see the return of the Taliban, when we leave, been greeted with hard stares and talk to the hand quips either.

Very fickle loyalties the Afghans i understand. Hamid Karzai for example.

Z

Zarathustra

I bet that's quite something, hat's off to you.

But... i can't see the return of the Taliban, when we leave, been greeted with hard stares and talk to the hand quips either.

Very fickle loyalties the Afghans i understand. Hamid Karzai for example.
Indeed, it was the same in Iraq to, they'll back whoever they think is winning at the time, or whoever pays them the most.

My opening post: Stupid on both sides.

US Christians thinking their faith will protect them, and Afghans murdering the people who they will need post 2014.
I agree with you. However, remember America and the West are carrying out a grand social experiment of transporting Western ideas of democracy lock, stock and barrel to an alien culture. I remember a television programme I was watching and the Afghan farmer turned to the American soldier and said about the Taliban, "they are the sons of this country and you're not". I think that says it all.

The political theory behind this is that democratically elected governments don't go to war with other democratically elected governments. We won't know if this experiment in Afghanistan is going to be successful for another 100 years or so. Russia got caught in quagmire because it tried to subdue Afghanistan rather than take something of benefit to it.

It's true Afghanistan has a very old culture but it has fallen from its heights and the mind set is very different now. You have the vision to see the country needs these foreign NGOs but they don't. I don't think Western powers fully appreciate this and think they can graft Western ideas at the point of a gun and will take root.

I don't know what the solution is except to try and keep on trying because ultimately the old generation, with their limited views, will die and hopefully a new generation will come into power with different ideas and vision. That is of course if it doesn't go backwards! And yes I do know what I'm talking about; I lived in that part of the world for many years and I speak Dari.

And medics or doctors?
Jerry Urmanos was a Pediatrician in Chicago for 16 years before moving to Afghanistan in 2005 timeframe to be a doctor there.

the other 2 names haven't been released yet but are said to be a Father and Son doctor team

I'd of loved to have seen Afghanistan in the 50s, 60s & 70s.

And Iran, even now.
You obviously have an appreciation of Middle Eastern cultures. Iran is a very different place now but still fascinating place because the culture is very schizophrenic and complex. :)

F

Flash Back

You obviously have an appreciation of Middle Eastern cultures. Iran is a very different place now but still fascinating place because the culture is very schizophrenic and complex. :)
I've always found them to be incredibly hospitable & peaceful, even Afghanistan in some respects. And i enjoy the first call to prayer and observing Ramadan too which helps too.

I don't see the murder of the 3 medical personnel as an Islamic act, but a brutal political/insurgency one. If it is claimed as an Islamic act it is a twisted and corrupted interpretation of the religion.

I don't see the murder of the 3 medical personnel as an Islamic act, but a brutal political/insurgency one. If it is claimed as an Islamic act it is a twisted and corrupted interpretation of the religion.
I agree with you there. All religions have those who use it for their own ends. Otherwise why would Popes have to apologise hundreds of years after the fact?

F

Flash Back

I agree with you there. All religions have those who use it for their own ends. Otherwise why would Popes have to apologise hundreds of years after the fact?
I'm enjoying waiting for Pope John Paul's Sainthood to be put back in the cupboard as it emerges how he oversaw the blind eye and coverup of pedophilia within the Church.

The new Pope on the other hand appears to be a legend.

Some cnut on the internet comes out the blue and starts having a pop at me, i'll defend myself with facts rather than bitchy little get over yourself comments.

I did fcuk all, i know that, but what i did see was more interesting to me than you could realise.

For most it was a shitty, dusty arrse hole of the world, where the people you think you are helping may shoot you in the back.

For me it was a look at another culture, centuries old - been in fobs built around forts that we probably used 100yrs ago. A grey beard LEC shaking my hand and telling me i was a good man. The kids by the road who dropped the stones they were going to throw after i waved & smiled first. Hearts & Minds was on orders.

And somewhere the people i think i am helping may shoot me in the back.

I've touched and been touched by a culture so far away from ours it's almost unfathomable. That's bucket list shit for me, sad as that might be. Don't like? Don't fcuking post! Derrrr.
Sniff, that had my bottom jaw going..........

Last year I went to Afghan. Before Team ISAF showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

anony_mouse

Old-Salt

If you know the place that well, you'd know that Afghan isn't the middle east.

If you know the place that well, you'd know that Afghan isn't the middle east.
You are being too much of a stickler for arbitrary geographical classification. Afghanistan and Pakistan, although technically classified as South Asia, have culturally much more in common with Iran than with India. I don't personally agree with that classification because historically they were part of the Persian empire and therefore have a common cultural inheritance. Two important fact is the majority in these countries are Moslems (as opposed to just 13% in India) and they all use the same script for their language with Dari being a form of Persian and Urdu is a heavily Persianised language.

Last edited:

Latest Threads