3 scottish soldiers

bergen

Old-Salt
Later that year, we used to regularly patrol past the point where the bodies were found outside Ligoniel. Some unknown person was placing flowers there for a long time afterwards. I went back a couple of years later and it was still happening. Most of the local Catholic population, particularly the older people, were horrified by the act.

As has been said, the lads were not so conscious of this type of threat, so one cannot be be over-critical. The first time is always understandable. However, it staggered me on a later tour in 1972 to find that some idiots based at a RUC station which adjoined the Markets area were opening a rear door to let in some slags for shagging purposes. They say a rampant prick has no conscience; apparently it has no sense of survival either.
For me the murders marked the real start of the escalation and were closely followed in 71/72 by Internment, Bloody Sunday, Direct Rule, Aldershot bombing and Motorman.

Bimbled past the murder site a few times in late 72 and there were usually flowers there. Always thought that it was a miserable and bleak place.

Why did the minimum age for deployment drop below 18? I'm sure that during the World Wars it was 18 (maybe even 19) before you could go 'on tour' legally and that was during wars of national survival.

Or was NI not really seen as a tour at the time? Were under 18s deployed to Malaya/Aden/Oman etc?

Why did the minimum age for deployment drop below 18? I'm sure that during the World Wars it was 18 (maybe even 19) before you could go 'on tour' legally and that was during wars of national survival.

Or was NI not really seen as a tour at the time? Were under 18s deployed to Malaya/Aden/Oman etc?
I was posted out of brats to 24 fld amb in aden but it was changed whilst I was on leave because someone twigged I was only seventeen

In the early days a deployment over the water was seen as a "domestic" posting, no different to the UK mainland. It was certainly not classed as a "deployment". Remember, the lads in green were initially greeted with tea and biscuits, even (especially!) by the republicans. Sadly, we all know how long that state of affairs lasted.

ACAB

LE
17 years, 18 years and 23 years of age, that says it all for me, when will it be time to let sleeping dogs lie?
Not until the last Republican has squeezed every penny he can fom the sorry excuses we vote into Parliament.

Similarly, there was another "honey trap" played on 2 pioneers from Thiepval Barracks in September 1981. One survived, but the other, Sohan Virdee, died. He was aged 20, off duty. Shot shortly after being lured to house in Stranmillis, Belfast. RIP
I was with them that night they had met the girls over a few weeks then asked to go back to a party

It's only a pity that the same effort wasn't put into solving this at the time,as there is now with the venerable finnucane?
but I doubt it will ever happen.
Well said, i tend to think i have an outside to inwards view of the conflict having only done the last four years of Banner.

I shake my head every time i hear on the radio how scum bag A or scum bag B has been arrested and let go. I keep saying to the missus - if the authorities keep letting them go/reward them then they'll keep doing it.

RIP lads.

Cpl_ Jones

Clanker
It got me thinking..is it really over 40 yrs ago?
I remember the awful atmosphere in camp as the news filtered through and the disbelief in it all.
the worst part is nobody was done for it.
I post this thread for remembrance....RIP lads.
The McCaig brothers Joseph and John with their mate McCughey if my memory serves me right were last seen alive in the Bank Bar in Bank Street Belfast. They left the bar in the late afternoon with a couple of women reportedly one was Ann Marie D*****y whom they all knew from attending the weekly disco in Girdwood Park....
jonwilly comment is most likely correct
From Wiki
"The Daily Mirror reported in November 2007 that three Provisional IRA men were responsible for the deaths: Martin Meehan, Patrick McAdorey, and a third unnamed man."
Was the Third man Dutch Doherty ?

I knew all three soldiers and the named female..

The pictures below were taken by the press two days after their murder and mutilation their regiment were goaded into ‘reprisals’ (HQNI stopped the regiment patrolling the streets after their murder). (As these photographs can be found on the internet I didn’t mask the soldiers out within them)

RHF-1.jpg

rhf-2.jpg

The incident with the two pioneers’ one lost an arm the other Virdee (from Bradford) was murdered with a single shot to the temple. Both soldiers were off duty from Wonderland (Thiepval) they had been drinking in the local pubs in Lisburn offered to a party “by students” agilely from Queen’s University the party being in the students flat in an area known as the “Holylands” (beside “The Markets Belfast”) the weapon used was seen as a prestige weapon 38 special (it having been stolen from an RUC officer) the same weapon was used in other shootings over the next few months.
Honey pots will always be a temptation to Squaddies; most of the times our cocks rule our brains after the killing and mutilation of the three Scottish Soldiers the killing of Virdee should / could have been prevented.
“Lest We Forget”

3-x-Scots.jpg

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
The McCaig brothers Joseph and John with their mate McCughey if my memory serves me right were last seen alive in the Bank Bar in Bank Street Belfast. They left the bar in the late afternoon with a couple of women reportedly one was Ann Marie D*****y whom they all knew from attending the weekly disco in Girdwood Park....
jonwilly comment is most likely correct
From Wiki
"The Daily Mirror reported in November 2007 that three Provisional IRA men were responsible for the deaths: Martin Meehan, Patrick McAdorey, and a third unnamed man."
Was the Third man Dutch Doherty ?

I knew all three soldiers and the named female..

The pictures below were taken by the press two days after their murder and mutilation their regiment were goaded into reprisals (HQNI stopped the regiment patrolling the streets after their murder). (As these photographs can be found on the internet I didnt mask the soldiers out within them)

View attachment 154189

View attachment 154190

The incident with the two pioneers one lost an arm the other Virdee (from Bradford) was murdered with a single shot to the temple. Both soldiers were off duty from Wonderland (Thiepval) they had been drinking in the local pubs in Lisburn offered to a party by students agilely from Queens University the party being in the students flat in an area known as the Holylands (beside The Markets Belfast) the weapon used was seen as a prestige weapon 38 special (it having been stolen from an RUC officer) the same weapon was used in other shootings over the next few months.
Honey pots will always be a temptation to Squaddies; most of the times our cocks rule our brains after the killing and mutilation of the three Scottish Soldiers the killing of Virdee should / could have been prevented.
Lest We Forget

View attachment 154191

syrup

LE
A month after the killings Gerry Adams became OC '2nd Battalion Belfast brigade" a year later he was 'Adjt' Belfast 'Brigade' before becoming CO of the 'Belfast Brigade'.

Cnut has a good memory for everything the Armed forces ever did, suprised no-ones asked him who did it. He'll know.

The narrative these days is that Saint Gerry was never in the IRA
Apart from Darkie Hughes and half of the old brigade putting the finger on him he still vehemently denies ever being a member.

Minimum age for Korea was 19. Other places around the time of the start of NI, like Aden & Borneo were restricted on age for overseas posting being 18¼, but that wasn't always strictly adhered although it should have been, to and I recall cases of guys being kept with rear-party and off operations until they'd reached that age.
Of course Germany was a Home Posting then and as previously mentioned NI wasn't active service at the time of the killings

I was serving in the QOHldrs at the time, the shock wave that ran through the Scottish regiments could be physically felt regardless of where we were. I didn't serve with the boys but knew them. The vicious brutality has never been forgotten, and nor should it, and never forgiven either. I know I can't. I will place my wee memorial tonight as I always do.
Successive governments have betrayed us all that served and continue to do so, hence the on the runs are free to gloat, and our comrades are still being pursued through the courts. Justice for veterans, don't make me laugh.
RIP OUR THREE BOYS. NEVER FORGOTTEN.

Minimum age for Korea was 19. Other places around the time of the start of NI, like Aden & Borneo were restricted on age for overseas posting being 18¼, but that wasn't always strictly adhered although it should have been, to and I recall cases of guys being kept with rear-party and off operations until they'd reached that age.
Of course Germany was a Home Posting then and as previously mentioned NI wasn't active service at the time of the killings
I joined my battalion after two years boy service in August 1973. We were based in Germany but the battalion was actually in Belfast when I arrived in Germany. I was seventeen years old.

I spent a few months on rear party in Celle, became 18 years of age on Friday 19th October 1973 and was in Belfast on Monday 22nd October 1973 being introduced to the Divis Flats and the Falls Road.

Last edited:
Remember, the lads in green were initially greeted with tea and biscuits, even (especially!) by the republicans.
Yup I remember the footage on the Naafi TV in Catterick in 69 (Or was it Sandy's just on the roundabout)- just waiting for posting to 28 sigs. I'd have been 18 in the July that year.

The cold blooded murder of those three lads was absolutely heartbreaking, sadly such brutal lessons are lost over time and reality does not always sink in. As others have highlighted, never underestimate the stupidity of a soldier with a cock on the forehead:

2012 - Soldier 'left bomb car unlocked' (targeted via Facebook apparently)

Latest Threads