3 scottish soldiers

Not wishing to overly divert the thread, but are honey traps an issue for female military? I am aware it was an issue for female diplomatic and administrative staff assigned particularly in Russia/ex cis etc but I have not heard it being used as a tool against regular female personnel.

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.

batfink5537

War Hero
I was not born but my dad was serving in NI at the time.

Not wishing to overly divert the thread, but are honey traps an issue for female military? I am aware it was an issue for female diplomatic and administrative staff assigned particularly in Russia/ex cis etc but I have not heard it being used as a tool against regular female personnel.

It's a well known fact that any squaddie with a few pints will bump any horror available, where as the female tends to look a bit deeper and talk about marriage and babies and things, so it didn't have the same effect.

It was just two months later on the 11th May 1971 that I joined the Army as a young 15 year old boy soldier at the JIB at Shornecliffe. My mum wasn't best pleased at my career choice in light of these killings. Wasn't it because the youngest soldier in this shooting was only 17 years old, that they brought in the 18 years minimum rule when going to Northern Ireland?

Rest in Peace to those 3 young lads. Never Forgotten!

It was just two months later on the 11th May 1971 that I joined the Army as a young 15 year old boy soldier at the JIB at Shornecliffe. My mum wasn't best pleased at my career choice in light of these killings. Wasn't it because the youngest soldier in this shooting was only 17 years old, that they brought in the 18 years minimum rule when going to Northern Ireland?

Rest in Peace to those 3 young lads. Never Forgotten!
I think it is yes. Not that I know from experience or anything, as I wasn't even alive in that era, but I'm sure I read about it in a book on the NI conflict called A Long Long War.

Later that year, we used to regularly patrol past the point where the bodies were found outside Ligoniel. Some unknown person was placing flowers there for a long time afterwards. I went back a couple of years later and it was still happening. Most of the local Catholic population, particularly the older people, were horrified by the act.

As has been said, the lads were not so conscious of this type of threat, so one cannot be be over-critical. The first time is always understandable. However, it staggered me on a later tour in 1972 to find that some idiots based at a RUC station which adjoined the Markets area were opening a rear door to let in some slags for shagging purposes. They say a rampant prick has no conscience; apparently it has no sense of survival either.

From Wiki
"The Daily Mirror reported in November 2007 that three Provisional IRA men were responsible for the deaths: Martin Meehan, Patrick McAdorey, and a third unnamed man."

Was the Third man Dutch Doherty ?

john

Meehan and Doherty always seemed to work together so it is extremely likely Doherty was in on it.I don't remember McAdorey.

Cpl_Clot

War Hero
I was at IJLB Oswestry at the time and it was this incident that raised the minimum "active service" age to 18. Up to then, some Junior Leaders had gone straight to their battalions in NI, many were still under that age when Passing-Out. I remember the announcement of the deaths very well.

As I was under 18 when I finished my time at IJLB and my battalion was in Andytown, I got a two month jolly in Cyprus with another battalion. When I joined them I had a super bronzy. :smile:

ches

LE
As been said this was always referred to in the sec briefs on getting over there & the old equivalent of NITAT back in the early 80's. The thought of that incident always made my blood run ice cold.

I had to wait until the day after my 18th b/day before I could go over & join the rest of the batt.

I still can't understand the hatred inside someone to be able to do this in such a cold blooded way. Fcuking animals doesn't come close.

Meehan and Doherty always seemed to work together so it is extremely likely Doherty was in on it.I don't remember McAdorey.
A month after the killings Gerry Adams became OC '2nd Battalion Belfast brigade" a year later he was 'Adjt' Belfast 'Brigade' before becoming CO of the 'Belfast Brigade'.

Cnut has a good memory for everything the Armed forces ever did, suprised no-ones asked him who did it. He'll know.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
A memorial was recently constructed just around the corner from me in Ballysillan for the 3 murdered scots. A parade was held to commemorate the 40th anniversary and was attended by families and local militia.

Three Scottish Soldiers Memorial. 29th May 2011, Ballysillan, Belfast. - YouTube

Welcome to Shankill Mirror Online
The animals can't even respect that

Wiki said:
The memorial at White Brae, Ligoniel, that marks the place of the killings was vandalised sometime between 9.00 p.m. on 23 July 2011 and 8.00 p.m. the next day.
Sectarian graffiti was daubed on the memorial and the stones surrounding the memorial were scattered across the road. The ceremonial ropes were ripped off and the poppy wreaths that had been laid at a recent ceremony on 29 May 2011 to mark the first anniversary of the memorials opening were scattered across nearby fields.

It's only a pity that the same effort wasn't put into solving this at the time,as there is now with the venerable finnucane?
but I doubt it will ever happen.

Not the same incdent, but I recall visiting my Grandparents when I was a nipper and Sgt Michael Muldoon RADC was getting buried the day we were there. When we eventually moved to that town, I looked his grave up, it was in a right state so I cleaned it up. Every time I go to visit my now deceased Grandparents, I still attend to his grave, although it's been a few years since I last went to the Graveyard, should really make time next visit to Northumberland.
Just seen your post Knacker.

I can remember my father pointing out Michael's grave when we were laying flowers on my grandfather's gravestone many years ago.

I was a young squaddie on leave from NI at the time an it was quite a poignant moment, especially as my old man and Michael Muldoon had known each other.

oldgadge

Old-Salt
17 years, 18 years and 23 years of age, that says it all for me, when will it be time to let sleeping dogs lie?

It's only a pity that the same effort wasn't put into solving this at the time,as there is now with the venerable finnucane?
but I doubt it will ever happen.
Some of the cases revisited have led to closure for the bereaved families. NO case should be set aside for political nicety.

Latest Threads