• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

3 RIFLES first English battalion granted Freedom of Edinburgh

Ministry of Defence said:
Soldiers from 3rd Battalion The Rifles (3 RIFLES), recently returned from Afghanistan, marched through Edinburgh on Saturday after becoming the first English battalion to be granted the Freedom of the City.

More...

Why no gats?? normally means "drums beating, colours flying, and bayonets fixed"..... was wee eck hiding under the table?
Good question, well put.
I wondered the same thing.
Though it did occur to me that carrying rifles at the trail makes 'bayonets fixed ' a bit of a Health & Safety issue.
Scratch

No bayonets.

Swords (and not fixed at the trail, for obvious reasons. )

No colours, being a Rifle Regiment. Likewise, bugles rather than drums.
Fair point, but I didn't think they have actually had "swords" instead of bayonets with a different name since the Baker rifle.

Fair point, but I didn't think they have actually had "swords" instead of bayonets with a different name since the Baker rifle.
Buglers still carry propper swords whilst in No1s. Not those poofy little things that the guards bands carry (SLR bayonets).

The Rifles don't fit 'Swords' except on Ops. Partly re the 'not doing hte bull shit thing, and partly because in the trail (see former point) you'd be sticking your 'sword' up the guy in fronts arrse.

Drums beating = bugles playing, which I assume they would be.

Flags flying. as mentioned the Rifles don't have colours. Their capbadges/buckle badges (which bear their battlehonours - through the RGJ capbadge) suffice.

I'd imagine they had a little jog though...

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The Rifles don't fit 'Swords' except on Ops. Partly re the 'not doing hte bull shit thing, and partly because in the trail (see former point) you'd be sticking your 'sword' up the guy in fronts arrse.

Drums beating = bugles playing, which I assume they would be.

Flags flying. as mentioned the Rifles don't have colours. Their capbadges/buckle badges (which bear their battlehonours - through the RGJ capbadge) suffice.

I'd imagine they had a little jog though...
beaten to it . .

No bayonets.

Swords (and not fixed at the trail, for obvious reasons. )

No colours, being a Rifle Regiment. Likewise, bugles rather than drums.
Talk about nails----staying in formation with all that mortar shrapnel raining down in the foreground. If the next volley is to the rear, I hope they will be dismissed from parade without further ado.

Some people are just too polite! Of course there are always occasions when it's just good manners but, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A bayonet. It's a "SWORD".

Just saying. :)

Latest Threads