3 Regt AAC & 4 Regt AAC move to boscombe?

Slippers948

Clanker
Many whispers flying about, for Wattisham (AH) to move to Boscombe with £1bn being pumped into potentially making it AH friendly? Seen a few articles circulating with people calling it a 'strategic move' for a move to BD. Could this be a good decision?

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/n...te_1_500_new_jobs_at_Boscombe_Down/?ref=fbshr

https://www.qinetiq.com/m/content.a...q-secures-1bn-contract-amendment-lp-thumb.png

Anyone else heard similar? I have also heard of rumours about a move to Middle Wallop?

The rumours have been flying around for months. The decision is due to be announced when the airbase part of A2020 refine is released.

Funny old thing points of view are more or less polarised dependent on where individuals are based. most Wattisham dudes reckon the decision will be Wattisham, same as for Middle Wallop punters, Boscombe is where some would say the smart money is being placed and most non AH punters couldn't give a flying f*ck ^~

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
It's a widely misunderstood news article.

I'm (obviously) away from my desk at the moment, but I've got some info about *that* article and I'll add more tomorrow.

Have you read The Eagle? Winter 2016 edition? Check out the editorial from the Stn Comd.

All of the MOD Base closures - the aviation ones remained untouched - and with good reason. An Army Aviation footprint is a sizeable one. With congested airspace over Boscombe, limited infrastructure at Middle Wallop, and a purpose-built Depth Support Unit at Wattisham it's common sense for things to stay put...

I'm sure the Sky Gods will correct me if I'm wrong, but SPTA is about 1 hour 10 mins flight time from Wattisham - so hardly a headache for cabs to exercise over. Plus although we ground-based personnel tend to think of SPTA as vast as the Australian Outback, in reality, it's a short trek from end to end via air.

If you're working at DSU Wattisham, don't go stomping off with notice in hand just yet. The D model is in service until at least 2024.

It's a widely misunderstood news article.

I'm (obviously) away from my desk at the moment, but I've got some info about *that* article and I'll add more tomorrow.

Have you read The Eagle? Winter 2016 edition? Check out the editorial from the Stn Comd.

All of the MOD Base closures - the aviation ones remained untouched - and with good reason. An Army Aviation footprint is a sizeable one. With congested airspace over Boscombe, limited infrastructure at Middle Wallop, and a purpose-built Depth Support Unit at Wattisham it's common sense for things to stay put...

I'm sure the Sky Gods will correct me if I'm wrong, but SPTA is about 1 hour 10 mins flight time from Wattisham - so hardly a headache for cabs to exercise over. Plus although we ground-based personnel tend to think of SPTA as vast as the Australian Outback, in reality, it's a short trek from end to end via air.

If you're working at DSU Wattisham, don't go stomping off with notice in hand just yet. The D model is in service until at least 2024.

That'll be the Wattisham POV I was talking about then ^~

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
That'll be the Wattisham POV I was talking about then ^~

I'm neither in Wattisham, SPTA, nor Middle Wallop.

It's the "wait until we know for sure" POV - you know... the one the Newspapers, social media and those who can't wait to type "breaking" in ARRSE Current Affairs seem devoid of.

I'm neither in Wattisham, SPTA, nor Middle Wallop.

It's the "wait until we know for sure" POV - you know... the one the Newspapers, social media and those who can't wait to type "breaking" in ARRSE Current Affairs seem devoid of.

Well bugger me, rumours on a site dedicated to rumours, who would have thought ^~

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
To put it another way - The current AH footprint isn't just 3 & 4 Regt (and formerly 9 Regt)... it's the Project Team, the ILOC, JHC, QinetiQ, AWC, Pheonix, El Centro, Leonardo...

The Model E has been purchased. One of the above goes to secure a contract to continue what they're doing for the E Model as they have for the D. That starts off a rumour at the given location.

Meanwhile, CGS (IIRC) made his aspiration clear that it would be nice to have Army Aviation all in one place, be it Yeovil, Middle Wallop - this combined with the news Boscombe have secured a contract to continue delivering T & E and maintain their links with AWC fuels the rumour.

Like I said - misunderstood news article. On the grand scheme of things, means one piece of the jigsaw has been laid - the rest are yet to do the same.

Well bugger me, rumours on a site dedicated to rumours, who would have thought ^~

Spooky isn't it? :)

The current facts as published :)

• The optimisation of helicopters basing is being pursued to align with future capability procurement plans. Through this ongoing work we are seeking to maximise the opportunities a orded by the introduction of replacement equipment capabilities and training and support solutions. The intent is to achieve consolidation onto fewer operational airfelds in a way that best facilitates operational and training outputs and efficient equipment support

Meanwhile, CGS (IIRC) made his aspiration clear that it would be nice to have Army Aviation all in one place, be it Yeovil, Middle Wallop - this combined with the news Boscombe have secured a contract to continue delivering T & E and maintain their links with AWC fuels the rumour.

Like I said - misunderstood news article. On the grand scheme of things, means one piece of the jigsaw has been laid - the rest are yet to do the same.

Spooky isn't it? :)

The Boscombe rumour has been flying around for the best part of a year, the recent announcement has only fanned the flames :)

Rumour has it ( :) ) that he asked the question 'tell me why I can't put them in MW', but not being part of his outer or inner office, I wouldn't know :)

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Rumour has it ( :) ) that he asked the question 'tell me why I can't put them in MW', but not being part of his outer or inner office, I wouldn't know :)

I attended a Stn Comd fireside chat at MW last year (or was it the year before? @blobmeister will remember as he was there too and paying attention...) where he discussed something similar. IIRC he was talking about how it could be done if so-and-so budged up there a bit, Hangar wotsit was divided into 650 Sqn and 699 Sqn, we'd need X amount of SLA and MQs etc etc ...in other words, it's possible. But it's something that would likely take years. And a lot of moolar...

I attended a Stn Comd fireside chat at MW last year (or was it the year before? @blobmeister will remember as he was there too and paying attention...) where he discussed something similar. IIRC he was talking about how it could be done if so-and-so budged up there a bit, Hangar wotsit was divided into 650 Sqn and 699 Sqn, we'd need X amount of SLA and MQs etc etc ...in other words, it's possible. But it's something that would likely take years. And a lot of moolar...

I don't disagree, there's also the inconvenience of those pesky Phase 2's.

Now about all that space in Boscombe ^~

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Any news on this 'info' then @TheresaMay?

Yep.

You're already aware of the article in the Salisbury Journal as well as other media sources stating that Boeing Defence UK has announced that it will be establishing a "Centre of Excellence" at Boscombe Down.

As well as being factually inaccurate, it also included the very misleading picture of the AH - this lead to people assuming the AH E Model Basing Policy has been confirmed as Boscombe Down. Not true.

Boeing already has a presence at Boscombe Down working with QinetiQ (T & E) and they have been exploring a number of location options to establish a maintenance and servicing centre of excellence. What they've basically announced is an intention to develop this Centre of Excellence (driven by its fixed wing side), at MOD Boscombe Down.

So no confirmation on AH Model E base yet. Not even related to it. Typical journalism really, putting an AH in the photo. Still - look at the fuss its caused. They got the desired result, wouldn't you think?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
What do you think the chances are of a move then? You seem doubtful? As with any rumour - there is no smoke without fire. @TheresaMay

As @CAARPS said, it varies given who you talk to.

The reason the Middle Wallop rumour was founded was by CGS asking "the question". Obviously with the Model E being an off-the-shelf purchase Boeing are clearly going to be making a lot of noise on this one. How this translates to where military units are based - well the two are entirely unrelated if you think about it.

On one hand you have a new piece of equipment (Model E) about to make its entrance - a lot of people getting excited, and will be bidding for contracts - T & E, training, support, logistics etc.

On the other, you have the future of our Armed Forces, 2020 and beyond, SDSR 2025 etc to decide which MoD bases remain, which move, who amalgamates with who etc.

Best not to worry about it until there's some meat on the bone IMHO.

Slippers948

Clanker
I'm pretty sure the place hasn't changed since I was taken as a child. The museum is a museum artefact in its self. Completely agree on the bulldozing.

Latest Threads