3 queens

is it true that they were awarded granby medals whilst in cyprus or that all personnel in cyprus got one , is this just an urban myth ???

A there I was thinking you were about to tell a joke.

3 Queens. What a misleading title

masher69 said:
is it true that they were awarded granby medals whilst in cyprus or that all personnel in cyprus got one , is this just an urban myth ???
All 3 Queens got this medal, why are you wondering ?

Discipline said:
masher69 said:
No they didn't.

ugly

LE
1 off 5 queens did if I recall FTRS and spent most of it loading hercs etc.

theblindking said:
Discipline said:
masher69 said:
No they didn't.
The ones in Cyprus did. Somehow, they missed out the Rear Party. You big whiny cowbag.

Oh, and I got mine for being in Akrotiri.

So many medals are a right bastard to court mount. It's cost me a fortune and I sometimes get a sore shoulder from wearing them all.

Hope this helps.

Dale T xxx

ugly said:
1 off 5 queens did if I recall FTRS and spent most of it loading hercs etc.
Your correct ,loading and unloading hercs,Quite a bit of O/P work by Fire support aswell,also on a short readyness to move.

masher69 said:
A few soldiers also went on OP Haven with the Royals and US Marines

theblindking said:
Discipline said:
masher69 said:
No they didn't.
The final and definitive answer is that those who were in theatre and met the criteria (cant remember what it was) did get them - I was the poor sod that had to do all the Part 2 Orders and checking of details!

Cyprus was technically within range of a scud missile; although they'd need so much fuel to get it there that there'd only be enough room in the top for a hand grenade:)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
twosugarsnomilk said:
Sorry,I expected a thread about Freddie Mercury,Elton John and Matt Lucas...
......and I was about to respond with

" straight ....read 'em and weep......my pot I think you'll find....! "

' Cincinnati '

Discipline said:
masher69 said:
A few soldiers also went on OP Haven with the Royals and US Marines
Op Haven award was a GSM clasp 'N. Iraq & S. Turkey'.

The chaps in Cyprus all got the Granby medal because the Crabs whinged at the time that not enough of them were going to get one - so 'they' increased the 'zone' so that Cyprus was included and all the scurrying little land crabs got decorated!

Our Battalion (1 Queen's) had two people with the medal - one who'd gone off to garrot arabs with piano wire with the SAS. The other was the outgoing RSM of 3 Queen's who was on his resettlement leave prior to commissioning. By his own admission, he spent the duration of the 'war' on a scuba diving course in Cyprus before joining us as MTO in Minden.

auscam said:
Discipline said:
theblindking said:
Discipline said:
masher69 said:
No they didn't.
Yes they did
No they didn't
Am pretty sure and confident that they did,however you are as well that they did not,what makes you think this ?