Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

3 Months-Stronger + Faster

rg1991

Clanker
Basicly ive got 3 months untill i start basic for the paras and i want to get faster and stronger but wanted to know is it possible to gain muscle and work on my CV at the same time, i had worked out a rough routine eg. weight train in morning fartlek run afternoon or night. but people have said this wont work as ill be losing muscle whilst i run? If this is the case has anybody got any good advise as to what i should do to get stronger and faster properly.
Thanks alot

rg1991 said:
Basicly ive got 3 months untill i start basic for the paras and i want to get faster and stronger but wanted to know is it possible to gain muscle and work on my CV at the same time, i had worked out a rough routine eg. weight train in morning fartlek run afternoon or night. but people have said this wont work as ill be losing muscle whilst i run? If this is the case has anybody got any good advise as to what i should do to get stronger and faster properly.
Thanks alot

If you're going for the Paras, concentrate on CV Fitness; this will be more important than brute strength.

Run 4 -5 times per week, varying the distance, route and speed. For example, a short fast run of 3 miles, 2 medium distance runs of 5 -6 miles and a long, slow run of 8 miles or over.

2-3 Weight Training sessions will increase strength(as opposed to muscle bulk, which you won't need or want during Para training).

Keep the weight's sessions short but intense, use compound exercises with free weights; Bench Press, Squats, Barbell Rows etc. Include lots of Press-ups, pull-ups etc as you'll have to do them during Basic anyway. :wink:

You can combine running and weight training by simply running to the gym - this gets you're CV out of the way and warms you up for the weight training. Obviously, this only applies to short runs; anything over 4 - 5 miles and you're going to be too tired to get much benefit from weight training.

Finally, make sure you get at least one day of rest per week; over-training will do you just as much damage as not training enough.

Best of luck! :D

Thanks mate for quick reply, on the weight side of things whats the best way to go about it- lots of reps with lower weight or smaller amount of reps heavy weight?
Cheers

rg1991 said:
Thanks mate for quick reply, on the weight side of things whats the best way to go about it- lots of reps with lower weight or smaller amount of reps heavy weight?
Cheers

The 3 X 3 is a good program, especially if you are doing a lot of CV training; this program concentrates on building strength rather than bulk.

Sample 3 X 3 Program:

Bench Press: Find a weight you can Bench for 3 reps, but not much more than that. Do 3 sets of 3 reps with the same weight.

Squat 3 X 3

Barbell Rows 3 X 3

Press- ups to failure

Pull-ups to failure

Sit ups or ab/crunches or leg raises to failure.

Two - three sessions per week on non-consecutive days. Start relatively light but add weight to each lift every time you train; most gyms have small weight discs of 1.25k each. Adding 2.5 kilos to you're Bench, Squat and Barbell Row everytime you train will soon make a differance.

Don't think the above program is set in stone; everyone responds differently to exercise, so feel free to experiment until you find what works best for you.

The advantage of the 3 X 3 is that it works all the majore muscle groups in a fairly quick manner. This allows more time for recovery(muscles grow when you rest, not while you work :wink: ). And the low reps allow you to use relatively heavy weights, which are the best for developing pure strength.

The gym instructor who recomended the 3 X 3 told me it was used by a lot of Rugby players - good enough for me, then! :D

rg1991 said:
i had worked out a rough routine eg. weight train in morning fartlek run afternoon or night. but people have said this wont work as ill be losing muscle whilst i run?

I would put this firmly in the category of myth - your body will use whatever fuel is most readily available, so if you starve yourself and go fo a run you will use up muscle protein as fuel, but the same can be said of doing weights also. Just eat plenty of mixed carbs and take a look into nutrition and you should be fine on whatver training programme you see fit.

Also as one of the previous posts said - make sure you take rest days or you will wear yourself out and not gain as much as you otherwise would.

But what would I know, im a fatty.

I started that training on the MOD website few months ago and thats really helping me, i did more then it said has i am quite fit already, like when it says do 7 press ups i knew i could do alot more anyways

Yer not eatin enough Haggis, Neeps and Tatties sunshine.

To aid digestion and absorbtion of vitamins and amino acids ye need to hydrate with a single malt.

Ok, Whyte n MacKay if yer skint,,,...

Enjoy!!!

Burns day the day - wid you last 250 years????

edited to add...

ye know that "X" amount of years blah, blah, blah, before stuff can be revealed to the public nonsense?

See that stuff we sh-at onto cling-film and carefully wrapped, then stored in oor bergans??

Disny Bear thinkin aboot - Jungle book??? If the grafiittiiii ye see oan an elephant's erse looks familiar... it was Werewolf or Tiger stacker that did it...

rg1991 said:
When i run should i run with weight on my back?
If so whats a good start?

Short answer - NO!

Running with a heavy bergan on, especially on the street, is a quick way to get injured.

Trust me: I was that soldier. :oops: :roll:

The only time you should have a weight on you're back while running is if you're jogging to the gym. And even then you should only be carrying a change of clothes, gym kit etc.

And make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. :wink: