3 Month tours - Who has been on one?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only reason I ask (yet again), is that our orders regularly say they are available, but when asking the COC, they say they don't exist...

I understand that the practicalities of OPTAG etc.... make them rare, but way advertise them so often?

2. Might be best asking on a RAF site, mate.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Why?

You can do 3 month tours in the TA. Bibo, get you road slapper on and come over to the dark side - you can be over in time for a nice 3 monther at the end of next year!

4. Really I better grip them for that extra 3 months Im doing then.

5. :) Don't tempt me...

6. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Did a 3 monther to Kosovo back in 2002 as an IR. In total 4.5 months away from work taking in a very basic Mobilisation, OPTAG and after the tour POTL ( umm obviously after it . . not sure why I wrote that).

Also had lads turn up partway through tour in Afghanistan as IRs.

7. Not 3 month, but I once heard of a lad who did a 3 hour tour. A 3 hour tour. The weather started getting rough, and the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost. The minnow would be lost. Hope this helps.

8. RAF are changing to 6 month tours (as the RAF Regt already have)

9. As for Pob02, only at JHF (A) in 2007 - and working with Hantslad's missus. (HL, how is 'She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed' doing ?)

Exactly 100 Days in theatre. One of the best things I have ever done. Not sure if 'the rules' would allow me the same 'bite-size' opportunity again - it fitted with work a treat. The standard tour length seems to be the norm with 6 Regt nowadays.

:)

10. The RAF Regt have always been at 6 month tours.Other arms are at 4 months but I have heard nothing about that changing.

11. Exactly

12. when?

13. Re the 6 month tour change - Errrm soon. There has been a directive sent round about it. Can't find the exact reference at the moment and Im at work so can't dig it out.

Frog Prince, Mrs Hantslad is good thanks!

14. I think RAF aircrew will still be on eight week tours, though.

15. don't the AAC do 3 month tours to prevent burn out?