3 Lights of Death!!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Johnny_Bravo, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I turned my 360 on last night and got 3 red lights (in the ring of light) and no picture!?! It seems this is a major issue with the original batch of 360's and needs sending to microsoft for repair....just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before and any ideas how long it may take to get fixed/replaced!?

2. Google xbox repair and take it from there mate, It I'll cost depending on fault, Some places I've used for the wii have had day turn aroud.
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I had the same thing, but as i got it less than a year ago from Game, just take it back with some form of proof of purchase*, and they will exchange it for a new one there and then.

*lost the receipt but i used the Game card at the time, so that was used instead. However, i understand bank statements etc are valid too.
  4. The problem arises if you have had the x-box modified in any way. If you have had the x-box firmwared up to play copy games Microsoft wont touch it. If this is the case there are a few places on E-Bay that can fix and have about a week turnaround, due to post. If you find one that you are near it takes about an hour, if they allow you to drop it off.

These Electronic gurus can, if they can't fix it, remove all trace of firmware and reapply all microsoft seals so microsoft will fix it/replace it.
  5. Not modified in any way...just got off the phone to microsoft and there going to fix/replace it and not sure how long it will take.
    Apparently its a design flaw and as such they had to extend the original 1 year warrany to 3yrs (got mine the day it came out)
    The mother board gets so hot it bends and seperates from the GPU which cause the 3 red lights, and failure.
    Oh well just have to play on the PS3 till it gets fixed :roll:

Thanks for the replies fella's (or indeed lasses)
  6. My Xbox 360 died at the weekend, 3 red lights of death.

I have contacted Microsoft Support who have arranged for it to be collected and repaired, they have advised that it will be 3 to 4 weeks
    before the thing comes back.

Found a good sight for all things Xbox and techy as follows, they mention the sale of goods act 1979 (basically states six years for replacement of goods). I will wait and see what the thing is like when it comes back before
    i start down the route of replacement.

7. I've had two go on me and the turn around was two weeks from the day that the parcel was picked up. Picked up from work delivered to house. Neighbours are good and accept parcel has no one at home during the day.
  8. Did they give you any freebies?
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

My 360 locks up on some of the newer games. It was one of the first batch into the country, is it a firmware problem or is it early stage death?
  10. Mine dates from 2006, first i knew was a freeze on Xbox Live then when i switched off and restarted i had the 3 lights. To be fair i had never had a problem previously. The support line were as good as gold as well.
  11. Ahhh the ring of death.
    So sure it was going to happen that microsoft fitted three led's to tell you it was fooked.
    Apparently on the newer ones its no longer an issue, however ive heard early rumours that it does still happen on occasion.
    Youtube have a shite load of video's about it.
    Some are quite entertaining to be fair.
    Biscuits, yours sounds as though it has terminal cancer and is facing iminent doom.
    Hope this helps :D
  12. It's an inherent design flaw, even Elite owners are suffering.

The Red Ring of Death has happened to so many people it's part of gaming folklore!

If the PS3 overtakes the 360, which looks quite likely, it would be down to reliability issues more than anything else.
  13. I'd trade it in for a PS3 as it sounds like yours is going the same way as mine did before I got the dreaded lights. When mine went I got microsoft to repair it for free and then went to game station and traded it, games and hd dvd player for a ps3. The ps3 has less games but all the big guns such as cod4 etc are all available. The ps3 is much better online. The 360 was always having connection problems.

Do the right thing and move to Sony. You know it makes sense. It will also give me a chance to whip yer arse at cod4 :D