3 Killed storming security at Robins Air Force Base

You can see, six seconds in, the whole control console area is being moved backwards - I'd guess the engine block and anything attached to it is stopped & ripping through the vehicle, ending up wrapped around the barrier and wedged up into the remnants of the cab.
Watching front on you see the bottom of the engine hit the deck momentarily after hitting the barrier.
[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought, after some careful viewing. It looks like the engine block went under the vehicle.

The USAF uses (or did when I had occasion to use it, early 2000s) the USAF Design Guide for Entry Control Facilities. One paragraph states:
4I - Final Barrier
The purpose of the final denial barrier is to stop unauthorized vehicles from entering the
installation. Most individuals who attempt to enter the installation without authorization
are lost, confused, or inattentive, but there are also those whose intent is to run the gate.
A properly designed final denial barrier will take into account both groups, safely
stopping the individuals who have made an honest mistake and providing a properly
designed barrier (based on locally postulated threat vehicle) to stop those with hostile
intentions.
(2003).

This guide was updated after the 1996 attack on facilities in al Khobar and others, and was the principal source of information in the builds of many installations in the ME, and presumably in continental US too. When al Qaeda attacked my Riyadh compound in 2003, they destroyed the gates, barriers etc, so we had to ensure that we had the best available barriers in all our compounds thereafter. The best at the time (for a high-traffic situation) were made by Delta Scientific (the Delta Barrier), which has a similar effect as the one in the video above, but is cheap, easy to install and quick to deploy; it can be raised and lowered for each vehicle in very quick time. Unfortunately, it doesn't distinguish between the lost and the motivated (although the stripy warning on the front edge should be a clue) so the effect is pretty well the same, if the vehicle's travelling at speed:

Last edited:
I can't say I agree with that. It's not a competition. You seem to want to make it about country X vs country Y, and I just don't see the world in such binary terms, outside of war or sporting events.

For example, you get right-wing hawks in most countries around the world. You get liberals in most countries that want to sing Kum-by-yah and solve the world's problems by forgiveness. You get high-brow academics and judiciary who think they're intellectually above everything/everyone, yet still put their pants on the same way.
I used to frequent Quora and was quite amazed by how much of the content was about country U being better than countries A..U..Z and claiming all sorts of good things were done by U and all sorts of bad things were by other countries (it often seemed like the Great Badness was a particular target ... maybe if we hadn't treated Mel Gibson so badly ...).

Interestingly, many such writers were not from the ranks of the deplorables who married their sisters but from people claiming to have received an education and to have researched the topics under discussion.

PS. Don't worry, there were lots of people doing the same for other countries.

The USAF uses (or did when I had occasion to use it, early 2000s) the USAF Design Guide for Entry Control Facilities. One paragraph states:
4I - Final Barrier
The purpose of the final denial barrier is to stop unauthorized vehicles from entering the
installation. Most individuals who attempt to enter the installation without authorization
are lost, confused, or inattentive, but there are also those whose intent is to run the gate.
A properly designed final denial barrier will take into account both groups, safely
stopping the individuals who have made an honest mistake and providing a properly
designed barrier (based on locally postulated threat vehicle) to stop those with hostile
intentions.
(2003).

This guide was updated after the 1996 attack on facilities in al Khobar and others, and was the principal source of information in the builds of many installations in the ME, and presumably in continental US too. When al Qaeda attacked my Riyadh compound in 2003, they destroyed the gates, barriers etc, so we had to ensure that we had the best available barriers in all our compounds thereafter. The best at the time (for a high-traffic situation) were made by Delta Scientific (the Delta Barrier), which has a similar effect as the one in the video above, but is cheap, easy to install and quick to deploy; it can be raised and lowered for each vehicle in very quick time. Unfortunately, it doesn't distinguish between the lost and the motivated (although the stripy warning on the front edge should be a clue) so the effect is pretty well the same, if the vehicle's travelling at speed:
You know, it's funny how the brain doesn't work. I looked at that device and thought, "Hmm, it does look rather terminal for an innocent passerby who's just taking a short cut that the GPS map suggested". And then that wedge shape led me to wonder if, rather than a barrier, the 'wedge' opened a down ramp into a big pit covered in a very draggy material (to produce rapid, but non-lethal deceleration).

Should the intruders to out be a few drunk Guatemalans or Mr & Mrs Niffleheim from Potrzebie, then all is well and good (apart from a bit of a shouting at).

If not then, and the perps have more nefarious motives for being there, then press the 2nd Big Red Button ...

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
I looked at the USAF minimum aptitude test score for its plod (now known as "Security Forces") and it is G33. "G" means--- General (Verbal Expression and Arithmetic Reasoning)

To put this in perspective a "second tier recruiter" minimum score is G24 and a "Surgical Services Technician" is G44.

A broader perspective is the USAF has higher minimum requirements than any other service (except the USMC that has its own crayon and ax-based test).

View attachment 421474
Not really. Many Airmen who enlist Open General end up in Security Forces. You have a pool of talented folks who are committed wit the mission and a healthy pool of Homer’s.

They did. They served in Vietnamese waters too. I'm prepared to cut them a little slack, even though they were officially part of the Department of Transportation and later post 2001 Department of Homeland Security. At least as much slack as I give to any anchor-clanker. ;-)

View attachment 421612
Actually, Department of the Treasury until 1967. Dept of Transportation didn't exist until then, and 2003 for DHS.

It almost seems as if any "new" Dept vaguely related will have the Coast Guard thrown under it for credibility.

Actually, Department of the Treasury until 1967. Dept of Transportation didn't exist until then, and 2003 for DHS.

It almost seems as if any "new" Dept vaguely related will have the Coast Guard thrown under it for credibility.
You're probably right. I forgot about the Department of the Treasury, which makes sense for the Coast Guard to be under their purview. The Coast Guard would be in charge of combating smuggling and getting all goods imported into the country through proper ports so that taxes and fees (yum!) could be extracted and sent to Washington to fill the coffers.

I guess it is logical for them to be under Homeland Security too now. The Department is, thankfully, not a big part of my life, except when I travel by air, and then I have to deal with the bell ends at the security screening checkpoint at the airport. They have made air travel a misery for me. I feel sorry for the Coasties. During a recent budget battle, they were the one uniform service who weren't getting paid; presumably their mates in the DHS were getting boned too. DOD was exempt from this problem because the Congress (I assume) had made provisions for the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, and the Air Force to keep getting paid no mater what. No such provisions had been made for Department of Homeland Security personnel however, so they were left holding the bag. Sux to be them. I remember mention was made in my veterans' magazine about the inequity and there were funds set up to help families of Coasties who needed a little help making ends meet. Fortunately the budget issue was solved and the Coast Guard started getting paid regularly once again, but I'll bet there are some hard feelings there. Hopefully it will motivate people to get rid of some of the useless, obstructive members of Congress and get legislation flowing again. We've had enough of these endless witch hunts by the Democrats.

Hey! @LJONESY Just noticed that you're on ROPS. Who did you piss off? :?

LJonesY.JPG

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
You're probably right. I forgot about the Department of the Treasury, which makes sense for the Coast Guard to be under their purview. The Coast Guard would be in charge of combating smuggling and getting all goods imported into the country through proper ports so that taxes and fees (yum!) could be extracted and sent to Washington to fill the coffers.

I guess it is logical for them to be under Homeland Security too now. The Department is, thankfully, not a big part of my life, except when I travel by air, and then I have to deal with the bell ends at the security screening checkpoint at the airport. They have made air travel a misery for me. I feel sorry for the Coasties. During a recent budget battle, they were the one uniform service who weren't getting paid; presumably their mates in the DHS were getting boned too. DOD was exempt from this problem because the Congress (I assume) had made provisions for the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, and the Air Force to keep getting paid no mater what. No such provisions had been made for Department of Homeland Security personnel however, so they were left holding the bag. Sux to be them. I remember mention was made in my veterans' magazine about the inequity and there were funds set up to help families of Coasties who needed a little help making ends meet. Fortunately the budget issue was solved and the Coast Guard started getting paid regularly once again, but I'll bet there are some hard feelings there. Hopefully it will motivate people to get rid of some of the useless, obstructive members of Congress and get legislation flowing again. We've had enough of these endless witch hunts by the Democrats.

Hey! @LJONESY Just noticed that you're on ROPS. Who did you piss off?
An entire island in a matter of hours. I have talent sir!

Latest Threads