3 Job choices.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by lemonkettaz, Jul 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all...

I need 1 more job choice as the recruiter says It's no good having 3 choices all from Royal Engineers, I put down, 1. Design Draughtsman, 2. CMT, 3. Surveyor....

Apparently there is no point putting these 3 down and I had to pick one out of them 3 as my first choice... Because they all fall under the same category and If I failed for one I'd fail for them all or something. I understood what he meant, but is this just rubbish?

So after a re consider It's 1. Design Draughtsman, 2. Geo Tech and my 3rd is where I'm stuck..

I was thinking Avionics/Electronics Tech.. but is this one job choice or is this 2 seperate jobs, i.e. either Avionics or Electrical?

2. Avionics is a REME trade - no such thing in this Corps!!!
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

If you are pitching for those trades then you will be scoring right at the top of the selection process. So stay with them. If your AFCO says that you cannot have 3 Sapper trades then REME avionics is up there with them, or look at something in R Sigs.

But push hard for the Sappers - those trades are hard to recruit so you are pushing on an open door.
  4. Lemon,

Good luck with the application/selection process. I was staff at RSME a few years ago and had some dealings with SPSO. If I'm slightly out of date, my apologies.

First, your recruiter is not wrong. All design trades (draughtsmen, CMT, surveyor) are single-streamed until Phase 2 where they are assessed for suitability. It's an excellent choice if you're smarter than the average bear and have a desire to go Clerk of Works (accelerated career prospects, but technically-biased rather than field engineering). If you want to concentrate on combat engineering and have the nous to be RSM, you may wish to keep away from this.

Geo Tech, again, is for the bright. However, it is a completely different organisation to the mainstream Corps and your chances for swapping between the two are limited. A year ago, there was certainly talk of Geo stopping combat engineering training altogether. Similarly, there has been talk over whether it will remain RE-badged.

As for a third trade, your other two options would suggest you're academically gifted. As such, I would suggest you consider the 'A' trades, such as Electrician, Fitter or Fitter HVAC. All are pretty lengthy and taxing training courses so be prepared for that. They do still serve as a route to Clerk of Works if that's what takes your fancy, but it is rather easier to stay in a field unit with those trades.

I can't, of course, make the decision for you, but I hope this gives you a bit of background.

Again - best of luck.
  5. Sorry if sounding stupid mate - but from what I gather here, the design trade's you'll see very little in the form of any combat itself?
    I also have design trades down as my first choice, although I don't want to be stuck in camp not going out and getting any of the Combat Engineering side of things in.
  6. Sorry, I might not have been clear.

Please don't assume I meant that design trades don't get their time in (and more). What I meant is that they spend more than most on the Military Works (if terminology is still correct) side of things. This can mean protracted periods at Chilwell, rather than in field regiments.

This doesn't mean they're sat behind a desk; the amount of tours for those at Chilwell is probably higher than for most places. It can be challenging, frantic and professionally satisfying, but you're not going to be doing the same amount of bridge building, armour or demolitions.

As a final point, you might want to ask yourself what'll be more useful if and when you leave.
  7. I don't know if it's a bad thing or good thing that there won't as much combat engineering side of things but I only put down as my choices for jobs i'd love to do...

I get the impression though applying for this you probably end up not doing it...?
  8. Not sure on your last point.

Are you asking whether you'll practise your trade? If you go to a construction supervision cell or Military Works, you absolutely will.

Or are you asking on the likelihood of getting streamed that way once in? As was mentioned before, it's a difficult trade to get into and numbers are short. If you're bright enough and you want to do it, then in all probability you will.
  9. You basically answered to what i said :p

What happens in phase 2 for people that are applying for the design draughtsman?

Do you just study for however many weeks or do you do any basic soldiering?

Do these sort of careers take you to any frontline work?

Also what happens if you dont make it as a design draughtsman... is that it your out?
  10. Phase 2 is split into parts A and B. Part A is 10 weeks(ish) at Gib Barracks doing combat engineering; your training party may include all trades but, if RSME have got the pipeline timings right, will feed into 2B courses finishing immediately after. That's a pretty big 'if'.

Once you've finished 2A, the party will go its separate ways onto respective trade courses. Design group will go to Chatham and pretty early on be assessed for streaming. You may also have to complete further maths modules before starting the course in earnest.

I don't know what stage the RSME PPP (essentially a change in training delivery) is, but it may affect the military ethos at Chatham. Delivery of your technical training will largely be by civ instructors and will definitely be of academic bias. The challenge will be, as it always has, to maintain your military focus. Following two courses of regimented training, you will have to take more responsibility for your fitness levels and MATTs (basic individual military skills such as shooting, fitness, first aid, etc) will be the minimum to keep you ticking over. A great many guys out of lengthy Phase 2B arriving in Regts have failed that challenge and have a rude awakening.

Failure on any course generally leads to a few options - backsquadding, re-trading or out. If you spanked in hard on a design trade and it wasn't for you, I imagine you'd get the opportunity to retrade to 'A', but this is for the SPSO to decide.

Technical careers, as I've said before, definitely place you in the operational frame. Whether they are front-line is a redundant question - I don't think you can draw one in Helmand. I certainly saw Works Groups in Afghanistan in '95 and were out on the ground prepping for HERRICK well before the '96 deployment. that said, I don't think you'll be looked upon to prod through a minefield if you're in one of those units.

A final plea. If you are successful and make it to Chatham on your chosen course, please keep away from the Chatham ready-made family trick. Plenty of young soldiers leave there married to erstwhile single mums, who then proceed to screw up the first few years of their careers. Instead of concentrating on the best years of their lives in career and bonding terms, they're rushing home to a quarter shared with someone they've only know for 7 months and are in counselling before you know it. Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

I stand by for incoming from all the lads who did do that and are still happily married!
  11. I have no plan to get married for a good while :p

So during the educational training you are getting paid? Are you classed as being in the army or still a recruit?

How do you organise your own military training?
  12. If JPA doesn't screw it up, you will be paid from Day 1 of Phase 1. So yes, you will be paid during Phase 2.

You can't really organise your own military training. You can certainly keep your phys up. I would suggest that you remain on top of your best book, but I think you'd find yourself thought a bit of as geek.

The point I'm trying to make is maintaining the right mindset; a lot of guys will leave training having been in nearly two years and thinking they're the top man. Actually, when they reach a unit, they find out pretty quickly they're not. Remember where you're going - first impressions are vital when you hit your first unit. The difference between being a top-flight section sapper who can be relied upon and another biff straight out of training can be down to how you view your training. This will affect how soon you're looking at JNCO cadres and promotion rather than being i/c shitty jobs or on rems PT because you've an attitude or fitness problem.
  13. Cheers for all the info. I'm a long way off but will take all the advice I can get.

Just really eager to get it all started and involved :) as with everyone I guess.
  14. Do you get given material to study or do you go out and find all the information yourself...

Im guessing its a progressive assesment type study?