3 cs @ Swanton, need info please

Should be 12 sqn out there in good old swanton. Whats your job when you get there?

Beat the rush, sign off now.

The exact middle of nowhere

sign off, surley cant be that bad, being posted as a nurse. first field unit, joy, just would like to know whats the unit like and what will I be doing when I get there in the summer.

theoriginalphantom said:
the barren wasteland of east angier!

Rule one - as a Cpl RN being posted to a Field Unit for the first time

Learn to use your stripes!

troops will see you in uniform, with two tapes - and they will assume a lot (two tapes = experience, knowledge and time done!)

have fun - enjoy counting!

Bedpan2zero said:
theoriginalphantom said:
the barren wasteland of east angier!

Rule one - as a Cpl RN being posted to a Field Unit for the first time

Learn to use your stripes!

troops will see you in uniform, with two tapes - and they will assume a lot (two tapes = experience, knowledge and time done!)

have fun - enjoy counting!
Not when they see the cap badge they won't. Don't let the buggers walk all over you!

naafibreak said:
Cheers for the advice :thumright: . What the hell does a RN actually do in a field unit anyways? cant seem to get a straight answer from my bosses.
remember

soldier first, trade second - youll either be employed in a section as a sec tion cpl, or you will be dumped in the trg wg!

each section has an LSN for an RN Cpl - Sgt

Oh dont worry about what you do in your unit, get out into the community. Being in Norfolk you will meet all the interbred weirdos and two headed monsters known to man. Bernard Matthews, Delia Smith to name a couple.

Tractor Boys for the premiership.....

when you get your letter of introduction sent off to your new OC, they'll send a letter back to you outlining the Unit, what it does - its next tour etc.

give them a ring and ask

what section Ill be in - then get the number of the troop commander you'll be working for and ask them what they expect of you

so,

roll your sleeves up and get stuck in - you'll earn the respect that way

for the love of all things holy,
dont sit back with your arms folded saying - 'Im a nurse I dont do that' or you'll definately have a steep learning cuvre!
(this isnt directed at you - just an illustration of previous happening to ease your way)

Cool, figured just as much, learned quite a bit on tour from the field unit I was attached to. I am actually looking forward to the change, to see how far I can go with the green half of my job. My only concern about the is keeping up my registration and is there anything in place to help me keep it up, if ward/med centre time.

naafibreak said:
Cool, figured just as much, learned quite a bit on tour from the field unit I was attached to. I am actually looking forward to the change, to see how far I can go with the green half of my job. My only concern about the is keeping up my registration and is there anything in place to help me keep it up, if ward/med centre time.
liaise with your troopie/oc and trg offr(who should be a nurse) and get some placements sorted - local A&E or DCU etc

but if youre going on tour - then the 6 months will cover your three year posting nicely

swanton is in the middle of nowhere (near Dereham on A47).

the squadron is co -located with the light dragoons - the set up is fine but the accom is arrse. the majority of the guys will de deployed when you arrive including the other nurses.

training wing is a good bet but there is a lot of work to be done by few bods so expect to break into a sweat.

sounds like you will be the third nurse posted in this year but dont let that worry you :salut:

Ive deployed with 12 Sqn 3 CS, good luck!!
I asked if theyd ever lost anyone on a deployment and was told that they hadnt had a single death, I said I didnt mean loss of life but had they actually lost anyone, their admin was distinctly hoopworthy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coiled_Spring REME 19
223335spog Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 10
223335spog RAC 11