Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

2RRF to march on Parliment (Daily Wail)

Didn't the plod have a protest march recently? How are squaddies different from the police in that respect?

Our elected representatives aren't physically terrified of the Police. Despite the fact that no former or serving soldier is ever going to storm Parliament, their sheer presence in large numbers outside (and not under the direction of the normal military CoC) means they couldn't be stopped if they chose to. Politicians understandably get nervous about that kind of thing..

Back in the real world where 2RRF are not launching a revolution, the imagery of such a protest would be politically catastrophic for the government, give all MP's a case of the vapors and probably result in even greater damage to the broader military long term. While Labour would make hay with it in opposition you can bet they'd be thinking about what further reductions were required to make sure it never happened again on their watch.

It's a shitty situation for the RRF but any large scale protest will likely do lasting damage to HMF when political retribution is served.

It's a shitty situation for the RRF but any large scale protest will likely do lasting damage to HMF when political retribution is served.

I agree with your post however, when you're looking at redundancy who would give a Toss about 'Political Retribution'.

Personally, I hope the guys go for it on Thursday. The Military, Infantry in particular, have been taking casualties whilst the Powers that Be completey ignore them. We have NEVER had a strategy worthy of the name for Telic or Herrick. Never.

The only reason they are being made redundant is because the Political Elite view the Military as a soft touch. Make students pay for tuition - disorder, threaten to cut benefits - disorder, threaten to cut the public service - hints and threats of disorder. Threaten to emasculate the Military, and as long as those at the top are still getting their 'consultancy fees' - Nothing. Would appear that on Thursday 2RRF are about to challenge the Staus Quo. I might even join them.

There's nothing new in regimental association protest marches at which a minority of serving have discreetly taken part as individuals. Agree with them or not, the organisers of this one have done brilliantly in generating publicity for their perfectly legal cause. I would be surprised if serving regular personnel were ever likely to take part.

If the Colonel led the march would he be first for the naughty step? Is the riot act still in force, every tenth man a ringleader?What if they had their fingers crossed when they attested, so many questions.
Bewildered
Tunbridge Wells

Quick admin question : Rations . No one's mentioned it , do we bring our own pack lunches ?
You can't! We want to see a fine body of men marching, you can't do that if you are carrying your pack lunches! What I suggest is you buy scoff and then moon off the bridge by the Members terrace, while you eat your scoff.
Good luck chaps.

100% behind this march. It's not about their regiment really, it's about the shite deal our military continues to get from successive governments. We the government of the Military, by the way we are changing your pension rights, kicking more of you out whilst still recruiting young blood, building up the TA (or what ever they will be called) as that's a real cheap option with no duty of care.

I would have thought BAFF would have taken a greater interest in this (maybe you are). I mean what do it's members think of the treatment being handed out presently.

Update

Please pass this information on to anyone who you think will need to know.

Where & When:
09.30 Those taking part are asked to be at Richmond Terrace (off Whitehall).
09.50 Address by Brig Minter
10.00 March to Old Palace Yard, Houses of Parliament
10.15 Form hollow square, and photos.
10.30 Address by Col Gorski and John Barron MP
10.35 Move to House of Commons
11.15 Scheduled tim for Debate in House
12.15 Disperse

Dress:
Collar & Tie (Regimental preferably), with jacket/suit/blazer
Beret & Hackle (Red & White)
Dress appropriately for the weather.

To avoid any possible risk of disciplinary action and accusations of disloyalty, serving members of the Regular Army, Territorial Army, and Cadets are not to participate in the Parade, or attend in uniform.

Much of the Press comment so far has lacked a degree of accuracy. We are not "marching on Parliament", but we most certainly are gathering to show our support to the Parliamentary process, where a debate is to take place about the future of 2RRF.