2RRF to march on Parliment (Daily Wail)

Serving soldiers (sailors & airmen) are not allowed to attend any political event in uniform, unless on duty. If serving soldiers do decide to attend this event, I would suggest that they would be well advised not to wear any item of uniform, not even a beret.

What's happening is utterly insane, a fully recruited Bn is being chopped in order to save one that is massively under recruited, just to make us popular with the Scots ('cos they will really appreciate it).
The Budgies have my full support, based on common sense.

Anyhow, it isn't an "anti Government demonstration", so how are they going to charge them with that? The purpose of the demo is to save their unit.
The govt will not like that because it will draw attention to their politically motivated decision. Tough.

Daily wail non-story. No mention of soldiers going, just a quote from ex-fusilier saying 'I'm sure some soldiers will join us'. Also, why use Army Act 55, when Army Act 06 is now de rigeur?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Daily wail non-story. No mention of soldiers going, just a quote from ex-fusilier saying 'I'm sure some soldiers will join us'. Also, why use Army Act 55, when Army Act 06 is now de rigeur?
<ahem> Armed Forces Act 2006. All encompassing jointery you see.

The Fusiliers kicked off when they were merged in to the RRF...

It's all got silly now. They've said their piece, we all know it's b0llocks they are getting chopped but nothing will change that.

Go out with dignity FFS.

Typical Hate - a non-story which they have ramped up by using the loaded word 'on' in the headline.

At the very outside they are planning to march 'to' Parliament.

If you were a member of 2RRF (and a mate of mine is), would you:

a/ Act like the firemen under Andy Gilchrist a few years ago - "emoting" like an X-Factor twat to try and get what you want and bleating, snivelling, pissing & moaning about "how you deserve better",

or

b/ See your Bn out with the dignity, respect and decency that their Colours deserve. Which is, incidentally, your duty by the way.

I truly hope that this article is true-to-form Daily Mail horseshite. If not, the short-term benefit of making the 2RRF blokes feel better (because that is ALL it'll achieve) will be massively outweighed by the damage it will do to HM Forces in the public's perception. By and large, stand fast the Cornwall debacle and Royal's ALLEGED misdemeanours of recent, Joe Public thinks his military are the dog's danglies at the moment. Is that really worth jeopardising to make 400 ex-squaddies feel better about something that is going to happen anyway....?

Oh,and if any serving troops march on this, I'd charge the lot of them.

The good thing about history is that it is preserved for ever (esp with internet servers). What we do in life, literally echos through eternity.

Bunch of whiners or proud, stoics? That is the descision 2RRF face.

The disbandment question is set in stone, those who made that call will live with it, die with it and know that forever more by this action they will be known.

FFS. The RRF Regimental Association veterans decide to hand in a petition, protesting their disbandment, to Parliament and people start questioning the dignity and integrity of 2RRF?
The RRF Association is merely exercising their right to protest - the fact they are former soldiers is neither here nor there.

I'm a Scot and a former member of a Scottish regiment whose Association fought bitterly (alas futilely) to avoid amalgamation when other less well recruited Scottish Bns were allowed to retain their, albeit parenthetical, identity. To go willingly, sheeplike, is alien to some - it was to the KOSB!
I must confess to being shocked when I heard 2RRF, a vibrant, well recruited, consistently up to strength Bn, were going to be axed when consistently under strength, struggling, Scottish Bns weren't! Very sad, very foolish!

So good luck to the Old & Bold of the RRF, even though their protest will be in vain they'll go with a roar, as befits their superb history, and not a whimper!

I'm a Scot and a former member of a Scottish regiment whose Association fought bitterly (alas futilely) to avoid amalgamation when other less well recruited Scottish Bns were allowed to retain their, albeit parenthetical, identity. To go willingly, sheeplike, is alien to some - it was to the KOSB!
Your Regt Col was the ONLY Honoury Col on the Council of Colonels to not turn up to the final meeting where this was being deicided, but his minion was the only one to vote against the amalgamation in to teh Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Royal Regiment of Scotland, Scottish Division, Army

I have no quarrel with the actual MoD quote in the article:

An Army spokesman said: ‘The Armed Forces are entitled to their beliefs provided their practice does not conflict with the services’ values and standards.

‘Although personnel are not precluded from activity which is potentially political in nature, they are not permitted to do so in uniform.’

Can you imagine what some countries would make of it? They'd have a field day. "Attempted Military Coup In UK".

Your Regt Col was the ONLY Honoury Col on the Council of Colonels to not turn up to the final meeting where this was being deicided, but his minion was the only one to vote against the amalgamation in to teh Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Royal Regiment of Scotland, Scottish Division, Army
I think you'll find Lt Gen John Cooper, Colonel of The King's Own Scottish Borderers was absent on operational duty. His Deputy (not a minion), Brigadier Andrew Jackson, voted as JC would have. Your point?

That regardless of who voted, the KOSB were the only dissenters.

Meanwhile in Wessex, the RGBW and D&D moved divs then merged and amalgamated in to an almost identical structure (5 Reg & 2 TA Bns).

Come on you lot keep you&#8217;re Alan&#8217;s on. This is the Daily Mail FFS!!!

Please let me refer you to my first post on the thread I posted not long ago.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/infantry/188204-calling-all-fusiliers-fix-bayonets|||.html

This is not an assault on democracy. Serving members will not be in the vanguard of anything let alone on the house of fool&#8217;s.
If it was against the wishes of the serving element of the Regiment, the Regiment would tell us not to do it.
The Regiment has not done this, so we march. While keeping our Dignity and our self respect... If it is a forlorn hope so be it, at least we tried.

At the end of the day, you&#8217;re Regiment either means something to you and you stand for something or you&#8217;re nothing more than a careerist drone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dunstaggin Infantry 1
KrugerCelt The Intelligence Cell 8
woopert Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4