2nd Reich book archive - Flandern 1917

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by YesItsMe, May 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

a book saved from incineration by the nazis in 1933
    this book - or rather the author was on the 'black list' of books that had to be burnt by the morons of that time

luckily it wasn't burnt ... for whatever reason this book wasn't in the reichsarchiv by that time
    the good thing about it ... i came across it on the internet and got it as a real bargain :D

well - those who were on the last ww1 tour might have read the book 'they called it passchendaele' meanwhile - as i did
    *btw - if not - do so - i can only recommend this book it's absolutely fascinating*
    anyway ... reading the passchendaele book - there are clues about a huge digging machine left in the trenches in 1917
    well - today i got this flandern 1917 book now ... and there is a map included
    an official reichsmap from 1917 - with all lines and trenches of allies and germans - even trenches under construction

the first moment i held the book in my hands i thought 'damn it's old german'
    i've learnt that at school ... first two years - and then we switched to nowadays german and never back again to the old one

well ... i ended up in front of these two books - and the map of course
    absolutely captivated
    and finding out that i can still read the old german left me speechless with excitement
    so if you don't see a lot of me in the next days - guess what i will be doing :D

oh ... and for the next ypres tour - most probably in spring next year -
    i will definitely bring the books and the map along ... i might even think about a shovel :lol:

i will take some photos of the book and the map tomorrow
    if they don't look as horrible as some of the photos taken in ypres
    i will post them here afterwards - and some more information - have to get back to the books first now :)

oh - for those who've got the passchendaele book - it's on page 22 and 23
  2. YesItsMe

sorry completely forgot about this :oops:

this is the book and the map that was included

Attached Files:

3. YesItsMe

for whatever reason i can't attach the map

oh might be a limit to attachments - yeah it is

top left you see the front lines around ypres
  4. YesItsMe

meanwhile i found two more books cause this is some kind of book series

i'm afraid i won't find a lot more but they are fascinating

titles are 'growing difficulties' (a book about compiegne, villers-cotterets and reims) dated 1918
    and 'the last offence' (about reims 1918) dated 1918 as well

both books with lots of pictures - statistics and maps

i better upload the pics ...