2nd Lt PBG Henriques, KRRC.

Son of Sir Philip and Lady Henriques, of Normandy Park, Guildford. Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, a question was posed on another forum asking why his grave is separate from others interred there. Any thoughts?
D_RCYbAU4AAJ-kz.jpg

Last edited:
Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, a question was posed on another forum asking why his grave is separate from others interred there. Any thoughts? View attachment 403568
Just an idea.
Many of those buried in the CWGC graveyards were moved from their initial burial sites and then reburied in the neat rows we see in most of the graveyards. There are some in Tyne Cot that are like this one, and they were of the dead that were buried where they fell in the attacks on the bunkers which make up the bases of some of the monuments.

In my home town of Ballymena, the town cemetery has two graves of servicemen which are completely separate from the others. As a child, I asked why, and was told that they had committed suicide and therefore couldn't be buried with the others. I don't know if that's true but it's sad nevertheless.

Edit: I just had a look on street view and there are four now at the same location, just inside the gates. They are nicely decorated though, with greenery and red flowers.

Last edited:
Educated at Eton/Eton OTC, and New College Oxford, 2Lt Philip Brydges Guterrez Henriques, d.o.w. aged 20 . He went to the Western Front in May 1915. Received a head wound at Ypres on 23. July and died of his wounds in hospital on 24. July 1915. He is listed as Jewish and was born on 10.11.1894.

CWGC record as posted earlier:
1562930800335.png

Last edited:

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
He's not in one of the postwar/modern concentration cemetery reburial plots (parts of 31 and 32), which I had wondered, so that's not the explanation. In fact, unless it was replanned, he may be the first burial there (plot 1, row A, grave 1). This would fit given that he died of wounds and the cemetery was established to serve the local casualty clearing stations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Electromagnetic ARRSE: Site Issues 25
Lower_Jumper Old & Bold 129
DieHard Finance, Property, Law 11