2nd-hand Choppers

Link

GORDON Brown plans to hire broken down foreign helicopters to help under-equipped British troops in Afghanistan.

The PM is offering to spend £3million fixing choppers for hard-up air forces who agree to let us borrow them.

Mr Brown wants wealthy Nato countries to pay into a trust fund to get more gear to troops fighting the Taliban.

He believes it will solve the serious kit shortage that is putting Our Boys at risk.

He has admitted the shortage of helicopters in the deadly Helmand province is “a weakness”.

British commanders want at least a third more – but they have been told they must wait for a minimum of a year.

Now a new multi-national leased fleet may be taking to the sky under proposals to be put to a Nato summit in Romania this week.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy privately hinted he will back the move during his visit to London last week.

Countries such as the Czech Republic and Hungary have been forced to mothball helicopters because they cannot afford to repair them.

A senior government source said: “The UK-French proposal will be to set up a trust fund in Nato to which wealthier countries contribute to get more helicopters of the right kind and equipment into Afghanistan.”
Tut Tut Mr brown!!

What ever next?

How in need of repair are these choppers going to be? Won't be a good move if they start dropping out of the sky..

Who will fly them?

Guardian3A said:
Who will fly them?
The host nations.

The idea is that a couple of the richer nations pay into a central fund that then pays out to countries like Hungary to get their old HIPs repaired and then such countries offer to send those helicopters and their crews to support NATO operations.

Will fall flat on its face: the cost of repairing a helicopter is nothing compared to the regular maintenence and servicing required (in terms of men and equipment) in order to keep it in the air.

Why are these helicopters unservicable in the first place? Answer is not lack of spare parts, but that the various countries cannot afford the pilot hours, fuel, service items, etc.

Is this anyway to run a war Prime Minister :shakefist: if only this was in the Naafi i would be more discriptive of my contempt :x

Not a Jeremy Beadle thread, then?

Christ on a bike, just when you think the cheese can't be pared any further, these fools come up with another way to disgust me.

Ah Hell, it's only soldiers lives that're at risk after all. Not anything important, like money. :x

We've been round this buoy before... I think last time they were looking at leasing civvie ones, ex Soviet Army.

This won't get far - and lets face it, who wants to fly around in a badly maintained Hip anyway? They (Hips) have kept the undertaker trade in business in various parts of the world, with a bit of help from SFOR, KFOR and the UN...

There are however plenty of 'decent' airframes (Chinooks, Pumas) out there doing very little when compared to some of their Brit, Canadian and Dutch counterparts - Spain and Italy may have a few to offer...

But Guardian 3A's point is valid - who will fly them? No point having money to pay for fuel and maintenance or indeed to get them into theatre if the countries that put them up are to worried about letting their aircrew fly them in a proper war zone....

Paper over the cracks, Gordon, I'm afraid...

Is he still looking at this old chesnut - I was working on this the last time that MOD and FCO told NO 10 flat out that this simply wasn't feasible. I wish Cyclops would pay more attention to his briefs!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't get me wrong - shoot me down in flames if this is the wrong thing to suggest but . . . why doesn't the cnut provide enough money for us to fix our OWN helichoppers? After all, we've got lots of broken ones ourselves that need fixing.

This takes the term 'the borrowers' to new lows this does.

Tell you what, why don't we see if Mr Mugabe has any spare - after all, he's Broon's friend isn't he?

from the Sun comments, say it all really -

Posted by: Calhoon

Now I’ve heard everything! Gorbals Mick spends over a million on decorating his flat and our troops will make do with second hand clapped out helicopters borrowed from other European countries with more money than us. What a state of affairs to be in! This woeful government should call an election immediately, if only to allow themselves to revert to opposition. Labour is certainly happier in opposition than they are when faced with making decisions.

The helos are russian era kit mainly - a lot of stuff that is in use or lying in hangars, but which needs upgrading. There is a facility capable of doing the job, but the funding mechanism required is totally unwieldy, and the whole idea is doomed to failure. Once more this is Brown ignoring advice from very experienced people who told him that it simply isn't a runner.

jim30 said:
Once more this is Brown ignoring advice from very experienced people who told him that it simply isn't a runner.
and we are surprised at this because... :x

tankie88 said:
Why don't they get all the tanks out of the tank museum at bovi as well,perhaps then we can have another armoured regt as well.
dont go giving one eye any other smart bloke ideas for crying out loud... :x

jim30 said:
The helos are russian era kit mainly - a lot of stuff that is in use or lying in hangars, but which needs upgrading. There is a facility capable of doing the job, but the funding mechanism required is totally unwieldy, and the whole idea is doomed to failure. Once more this is Brown ignoring advice from very experienced people who told him that it simply isn't a runner.
I meant Bipods HM forces ones.

On a good day Helis are expensive to operate, in war time costs rocket skywards.
Bringing in foreign cabs because you failed to maintain the excellent
services you had and against advice from your Professional advisor's is just another Nue Labour up clock.
john

Sven said:
I would be interested in being shown which helicopters are lying round right now gathering dust.

Pop up to Shawbury. Its full of Apaches.

Pick any other SH/JHC unit and you will find quite a few 'Christmas trees' being used as spares for cabs in theatre.

Who'll fly whatever pieces of crap our beloved leaders manage to swindle a deal from?

No idea but its the chaps in the back I'd be worried about if it's Johnny foreigner up front. One would like to hope if Brit mil pilots fly them, they will at least only fly them if they 'seem' servicable. I trust my techs but I'm not sure I'd trust Ivanovich Krudowski chucking back several Vodkas prior to servicing it. At least I leave the bar at a similar time to our techs.

Um, is the thought of Soviet era helicopters cutting around a country which has recent and rather unpleasent memories of a soviet occupation worrying anyone else arund here? I'm pretty sure the taliban already play on our history as previous occupiers, suddenly appearing out of Hips isn't going to help a great deal I fear.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alfred_the_great Health and Fitness 5
DPM_Sheep Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 6
halo_jones The NAAFI Bar 37