2nd Glasgow School of Art Fire

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are plenty of buildings that failed through fire or structural design faults. Very few will have had such detailed architectural records made of them. Steel beams, ties and other components subject to the temperatures of blazing wood fires can lose an appreciable amount of strength. Reusing the shell may seem a good idea but the stones need detailed inspection for cracks and the mortar may need replacing. The steel must be suspect. Whether the shell is retained or not, the interior needs a total rethink. An up to date structure and firesafe interior seems more sensible. They can build a homage to Mackintosh rather than put the same fire hazards back in it. A VR room could guide folk through a virtual copy of the old building.
After the first fire, they dismantled an entire wall, numbering each stone as they went. Each and every one was inspected and examined before they reassembled the wall again.
Discussed on radio Scotland this morning that this time even the foundations have been fire damaged.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On looking at the figures for the rebuild, something like an average of 120 million quid across the various sources for the figures for it that I've seen online, well, sod it, someone has to say the obvious and it may as well be me.

It isn't worth it. Not by a long chalk.

Flatten the thing and build a new college building, one that will be a damned sight more fire-resistant as it will and should be built to modern standards and using materials that are more fire/student art project resistant. As said above, if the arty farty types want to gawp in awe at a Mackintosh designed building, it'd be more sensible and a lot cheaper if they could do it using those horrid VR goggles rather than building Firetrap #2. Make the installation for that VR thingy the party piece of the new build and drive on from there.

Rebuild the facade fair enough but it can easily be non flammable concrete shell under neath!

And use private money. Surely they had insurance?

On looking at the figures for the rebuild, something like an average of 120 million quid across the various sources for the figures for it that I've seen online, well, sod it, someone has to say the obvious and it may as well be me.

It isn't worth it. Not by a long chalk.

Flatten the thing and build a new college building, one that will be a damned sight more fire-resistant as it will and should be built to modern standards and using materials that are more fire/student art project resistant. As said above, if the arty farty types want to gawp in awe at a Mackintosh designed building, it'd be more sensible and a lot cheaper if they could do it using those horrid VR goggles rather than building Firetrap #2. Make the installation for that VR thingy the party piece of the new build and drive on from there.
Trouble is, £120 million will buy you a building made from steel & slot in panels that will be pretty much knackered by the time the loan's paid off (just like the stick & plasterboard shells covered in construction block they call houses).
How the f*** do construction companies go tits-up with the prices they charge? (not that there's many actually do go T-U...).

Trouble is, £120 million will buy you a building made from steel & slot in panels that will be pretty much knackered by the time the loan's paid off (just like the stick & plasterboard shells covered in construction block they call houses).
How the f*** do construction companies go tits-up with the prices they charge? (not that there's many actually do go T-U...).
Directirs' dividends, bonuses, expense accounts, asset stripping, shareholder dividends, gearing. Just a few reasons.

I hope people pay attention to the no go zone

Fire has moved art school walls six inches

The walls of the Glasgow School of Art have been moved six inches (15 cm) in places as a result of the fire, council leader Susan Aitken has said.

She said the movement of the building's facade had prompted fears for public safety.

Speaking from the site, Ms Aitken said: "It is a dangerous building, there is no question about that.

"The facade has actually moved quite considerably - about six inches.

"There is an imminent danger of collapse."

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hope people pay attention to the no go zone

."
Fire-displaced residents stage protest

It would appear that the no go zone is still firmly in place, residents in the area have not been allowed back into their homes or shops and unlikely to be able to do so until September.

Was vaguely amusing on the news watching a hi viz jacketed, hard hat wearing security guard telling folk that they could not enter the zone as it was unsafe and the risk was extremely high when the residents pointed out the various folk walking around inside the fences!

Until Nicola taxes it stupid because it's an 'English' company.
And the number of redundancies in England is revealed as these are not new jobs, but existing ones relocated to a cheaper area.

Yes I am a cynic.
Sky park recently relocated a floor of staff to Liverpool, the snobbish weegies declined to move to a third world country

Sky park recently relocated a floor of staff to Liverpool, the snobbish weegies declined to move to a third world country
If Glaswegians think Liverpool's not a place they want to go, that speaks volumes.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Until Nicola taxes it stupid because it's an 'English' company.
And the number of redundancies in England is revealed as these are not new jobs, but existing ones relocated to a cheaper area.

Yes I am a cynic.

According to chief exec of Barclay's yesterday these are jobs to be formed by "insourcing" various things that are currently put out to contract, thus saving them money. So yes there will be job losses, but not for Barclay's!