2nd Glasgow School of Art Fire

Been interesting to see the “its oor oil” lot out telling us how it’s an architectural miracle and must be restored regardless of cost.

I really hope nobody goes back and unpicks what those same people said about the cost of refurbishing the Houses of Parliament...

How do you know it wasn’t? The work wasn’t complete, and as yet there is no statement on what the likely causes of the fire were.
Today's Guardian tells me;
"Hopes have been raised that Glasgow School of Art’s Mackintosh building, which was gutted by fire on Friday, can be saved as it emerged a new sprinkler system had not yet been fitted as part of the restoration following an earlier blaze."
My bold.

Today's Guardian tells me;
"Hopes have been raised that Glasgow School of Art’s Mackintosh building, which was gutted by fire on Friday, can be saved as it emerged a new sprinkler system had not yet been fitted as part of the restoration following an earlier blaze."
My bold.
Sprinklers are not the only method of fire prevention, and I wonder what others are yet to be fitted. And why they were all left to the end rather than fitted as part of the structure as it was built/rebuilt/refurbished.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's unlikely either of those would be a commissioned work by a world-renowned local architect and a major tourist attraction in its own right, but if they were then I suspect the response would be similar.
Though they weren't too keen on restoring the Shack/Trash when it went up in smoke, there's a fair few of Thomson's buildings that are neglected in Glasgow, though he was far more prolific than MacKintosh.

The scarcity of MacKintosh's buildings as well as this particular building's cultural and educational status means it has a higher priority. I hope that a new restoration will be initiated, I only wish Glasgow was more considerate of the rest of her architectural heritage.

Though they weren't too keen on restoring the Shack/Trash when it went up in smoke, there's a fair few of Thomson's buildings that are neglected in Glasgow, though he was far more prolific than MacKintosh.

The scarcity of MacKintosh's buildings as well as this particular building's cultural and educational status means it has a higher priority. I hope that a new restoration will be initiated, I only wish Glasgow was more considerate of the rest of her architectural heritage.
It all comes down to money, i posted a few links of previous fires. If you want to build in Glasgow no brown envelopes required to the previous labour run council….or funny handshake or a line of coke if your name was Purcell. Look at the compulsory eviction to the wifey holding up the athletes village. The empty redeveloped fields show how successful clyde gateway actually is.

Anyhow does this mean new york slice is still open or is it closed @MrBane

Apropos of nothing...another often unrealised side effect of "The Barnett formula" is fire brigade and police response in Scotland. Intruder alarm goes off in England - it generally needs a URN & "confirmation system" for police to respond to it. Many English fire brigades often impose a "respond only upon confirmation of fire" caveat when passed a fire alarm activation.

In Scotland though, if requested, both would turn up to the opening of an envelope. I guess the detail lies somewhere between operational availability and funding.

The Scottish fire brigade don't mince their words or feck about treading round egg shells when they turn up to a fire alarm on a site manned by a Nigerian whose only words of English are "Yess boss!" either.

101 for police Scotland is quicker than 999 for police in London. Ten minute waite for connection from 999 operator to MET control is not uncommon.

I will also add, as an informative, should anyone find themselves needing to 999 something regarding an issue outside the area they are calling from, on a landline: Been on phone to dad who suddenly started choking for example...
999 then immediately state "disregard the incoming number". They will then ask for an alternative number. You then tell them NONE and state the issue. The number cited is where they geographically centre resources on.

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It all comes down to money, i posted a few links of previous fires. If you want to build in Glasgow no brown envelopes required to the previous labour run council….or funny handshake or a line of coke if your name was Purcell. Look at the compulsory eviction to the wifey holding up the athletes village. The empty redeveloped fields show how successful clyde gateway actually is.

Anyhow does this mean new york slice is still open or is it closed @MrBane
The Clyde Gateway is an absolute, complete and utter ******* disgrace.

They overlooked totally the fact that not only does nobody want to set up shop in the east end of Glasgow, but that they certainly don't want to do it in an area where they'd be flanked by a pikey village on one side, and OCG run bodyshops on the other.

They tried to use our HQ as a selling point... "Next to PSoS Divisional HQ!" but everyone thinks we're cnuts and don't see being sat next to us as a selling point - especially when the staff have taken every available inch of roadway around there for parking, causing traffic chaos.

As for NY Slice, it's a shit hole. I'm not paying £3.80 for a slice of pizza. Though it is open for spilling out time and so I usually end up in there, albeit not for pizza. :rolleyes:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In Scotland though, if requested, both would turn up to the opening of an envelope. I guess the detail lies somewhere between operational availability and funding.
Any excuse to put on the blues. Worth noting though that we only normally get told of a fire by the Fire control at Johnstone. Sometimes for info only, sometimes to ask for attendance. Otherwise the amount of callouts they get alone would burst our resources, being as they are, already well and truly burst.

Any excuse to put on the blues. Worth noting though that we only normally get told of a fire by the Fire control at Johnstone. Sometimes for info only, sometimes to ask for attendance. Otherwise the amount of callouts they get alone would burst our resources, being as they are, already well and truly burst.
I can think of two sites straight away that get immediate fire response on an almost daily basis to what normally (always) turns out to be cooking/smoking setting off communal smoke alarms.

Will Pm you

They must have made some money selling off their Gullane training centre….unless of course the developers shortchanged them :)

There are plenty of buildings that failed through fire or structural design faults. Very few will have had such detailed architectural records made of them. Steel beams, ties and other components subject to the temperatures of blazing wood fires can lose an appreciable amount of strength. Reusing the shell may seem a good idea but the stones need detailed inspection for cracks and the mortar may need replacing. The steel must be suspect. Whether the shell is retained or not, the interior needs a total rethink. An up to date structure and firesafe interior seems more sensible. They can build a homage to Mackintosh rather than put the same fire hazards back in it. A VR room could guide folk through a virtual copy of the old building.

Germans managed to rebuild a whole country without it catching fire and burning down again, get the jerry builders in next time.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Germans managed to rebuild a whole country without it catching fire and burning down again, get the jerry builders in next time.
They got the Yanks to pay for it though. (Only half a country BTW)

On looking at the figures for the rebuild, something like an average of 120 million quid across the various sources for the figures for it that I've seen online, well, sod it, someone has to say the obvious and it may as well be me.

It isn't worth it. Not by a long chalk.

Flatten the thing and build a new college building, one that will be a damned sight more fire-resistant as it will and should be built to modern standards and using materials that are more fire/student art project resistant. As said above, if the arty farty types want to gawp in awe at a Mackintosh designed building, it'd be more sensible and a lot cheaper if they could do it using those horrid VR goggles rather than building Firetrap #2. Make the installation for that VR thingy the party piece of the new build and drive on from there.