2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment 1914-15

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sunnoficarus, Oct 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if the Regimental Diary for that regiment (disbanded 1922), still exists and where I could access it?

2. HHH

HHH LE

Do you not mean the Royal Irish Rifles as The Royal Irish Regiment wasn't formed until 1993, if so you could try the Royal Ulster Rifles museum. The RUR were formed from the Rifles.
    Royal Ulster Rifles Museum

Edited to add;

Ignore this as I was getting mixed up, this might be a bit better,

Irish Regiments - Irish Regiments
  3. Or the 1st and 2nd Bns the Royal Irish Regiment who deployed as part of the BEF in 1914, or is that another Ireland?

Sonnoficarius this may be a starting point The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Selected First World War and Army of Occupation War Diaries

Or here, but you need to sign up The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War

Or this one World War Message Board (Page 28)

4. There is a bit of confusion here.. The OP asked about the Royal Irish Irish regiment (disbanded 1922) which has no links, historical or otherwise, to the current Royal Irish Regiment (or indeed to the Royal Irish rifles, who post 1922 were renamed Royal Ulster rifles) There is a wiki page at Royal Irish Regiment (1684 which you might find helpful and I would suggest that an enquiry to the RUR museum might be your way forward.

BTW the Royal Irish Regiment once fought in battle against the Royal Regiment of Ireland... I will leave it to the historians on ARRSE to explain how this came to take place
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Quite correct I duffed that up a little, ignore the second link.
    But this one is worth a look

The Royal Irish Regiment in 1914-1918
  6. The Imperial War museum has an impressive library. When you book explain what you want and they get the material ready for you. I was researching my local battalion and they had the war diary, an autobiography of the CO during WW1 and a host of bits and bobs I would have never found.
  7. Thanks chaps. looks like a trip to Kew and the IWM is in order to fill in the missing links of my Great Grandfathers war record. Him and his son were in the same platoon and were killed within days of each other in May 1915.
  8. Thank you for the link - am laying a wreath for the Royal Irish this Sunday, and the site is very useful.
  9. Elaborate please am curious
  10. The 'Royal' In The Royal regiment of Ireland referred to The French crown.

They were Irish soldiers in the service of France who headed off as part of 'The Flight of The Wild geese' after the Williamite wars because of their Jacobite leanings.