2nd battalion Mercian Regiment- Nottingham Home coming

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by veritas, Dec 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today Dec 4th, the sherwood foresters (They always will be) are marching through Nottingham.

"Some 350 troops from the 2nd battalion of the Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters) will exercise their freedom of the city to mark their return from the war-torn Helmand Province.
    People are being urged to show their support by lining the route from St Mary's Church in the Lace Market to the Old Market Square."

I only heard about this as I was leaving the house this morning, too late for me to take time off work, no one in the office knew about it either. Ive come in and googled it to find out the details. I wish I had heard about it earlier so I could get into town and wave a flag or something :D WHo would have been incharge of publicising this, the council (boo hiss) or the Army bods ?
  2. The Battalion is marching in Derby Tomorrow too if it's not too late for you to get the day off tomorrow.
  3. If there's one place I'd insist on wearing CBA it would be marching through Nottingham! :D

Not going anywere near Saint Ann's or the Meadows are they?......Contact! Wait out! 8O
  4. I was just about to post about an apparent parade in Worcester on 6th! I have had comms from a relly who lives in the city asking if I knew anything about it, nothing heard. If anyone knows what time etc I would appreciate it.
  5. Same for me, as I was driving to work at 8:30 on the local radio (travel announcements, it's a shite station) the DJs said about it. Piss poor job of publicity on someone's part.
  6. Why couldn't the Mercians RHQ have organised the same level of coverage as the recent homecoming of the Royal Anglians from Afghanistan. they had a great response with literally Thousands of spectators applauding the boys.

Seems like someone lost interest!!?? The lads and lasses deserve better.

Nothing to do with a recent merger by chance??
  7. Agreed.

I have to give a weeks notice for holidays so going to Derby's out as well.
    I'm very disappointed. :x
  8. True, my unit has a large number of ex WFRs and none of them knew about this.
  9. http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=195917&command=displayContent&sourceNode=134241&contentPK=19156132&folderPk=78486&pNodeId=133951

Foresters fresh from battle in Afghanistan were today honoured with the freedom of the city as they marched past thousands of wellwishers.

Around 150 troops from the 2 Mercian Regiment paraded their colours through Nottingham city centre to say "thank you" to the public for their support during their gruelling six-month tour of war-torn Helmand Province.

They were greeted by a stunning turnout of an estimated 10,000 supporters, friends and family, who applauded and waved Union Jacks during the ten-minute march.

Commanding officer Lt Col Simon Banton said: "Soldiers have fought in some of the most intense combat seen in the last 20 or 30 years.

"Their courage deserves to be recognised."

Before the march a short service at St Mary's Church remembered the nine members of the regiment who lost their lives in southern Afghanistan.

Revd Stephen Morris, lecturer at St Mary's spoke during the service of the soldiers' "courage, bravery and endurance".

Among those lining the route was Kathleen Woodward whose son Glenn was on the tour. She said: "It's really important for the city to be doing this."
  10. And Worcester on Thursday - no other info I'm afraid

11. Same for me, only I'm at a clients in Derby today and Nottingham tomorrow! Why was it not on the news last night? I'd love to have been there to see our troops back.
  12. I heard about the Worcester parade through a (WFR) mate, but have no further details. I've heard nothing on the news and seen nothing in the paper (which is strange, because the Worcester News is extremely supportive of our troops.)

There should be posters up on every wall. Every school should be invited to watch. At the very least, people should be aware of why they're marching.
  13. Just found this:

14. Good drill RF, I will try to get there.