2nd Attempt in 3 months - pointers?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by brink404, Dec 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ***
    Thanks all

2. What's wrong with the ADF?

3. If you aren't confident, put it off?
    Also categories are jus reflective of how you might do, they don't necessarily translate. As you found out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, it has been a long time since I passed it but I think the best advice I was given before I attended was, "...above all, do not put on an act, just be yourself..."

Sound advice and from what you said, it sounds like advice you should heed.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Start drinking heavily!

6. Is this your entry test?

7. Just be suitable to be an Army Officer. If you are not, and try to fake it I hope you don't get in.

It's not about how much you 'want' it it's about suitability. It's not the X factor

• Like Like x 1
  8. well good luck. Imporve your chances by getting a grip of yourself. Just remember there are always other services and also the TA. They generally have lower selection standards

9. Lower selection standards? I was under the impression if you failed main board twice for full time commission, you would not be allowed to apply for a TA commission?

10. Just as an aside is there a number of times you can attend before you are 'out of lives'? If so if you aren't feeling confident it may be a better option to delay a tadge.

11. Are you not confident under questioning? From the Plan Ex it sounds as though you were flustered when pressed.

Coolness under pressure is usually a quality cultivated over a long period of time and if you don't have it now I cannot conceive of how you would acquire it within three months.

Be yourself and go for it. If it's not for you it's not for you.

12. When I did AOSB virtually every candidate had some regrets, you're not going to be able to do everything well - I was pretty average on the general knowledge, essay etc. The feedback on my Plan-Ex from briefing was the best my ACA had seen so I thought I had nothing to worry about.... mistake.... as you know the Plan-Ex at Mainboard is at least twice as difficult... but the best route is normally the most obvious... just get a few different routes down with some timings.... the Plan-Ex questions are insanely difficult!

I know the only reason I passed AOSB is due to the command tasks - people overcomplicate them; we had people using ropes when they could jump, planks when they could just balance of the green "safe" areas etc... listen to the commands and look at the task properly before starting, there are so many hidden parts (poles which can be extended by attaching to certain areas), parts where the ground can be used, where objects can touch the ground etc..... people just rush it and don't actually listen to the rules...

Like everyone else has said... just be yourself, you sound like you've done some good preparation... but dont worry about sounding like a twat... just be confident, if you've done something wrong just admit it and say what you would have done with hindsight... Good Luck!

13. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

On my planning ex I justified leaving 200 local miners to drown in a flooding mine by explaining that a qualified western mine engineer (who I planned to rescue instead from an alternative location) would be more difficult to replace - and I passed; mind you this was many years ago and I don't suppose that kind of logic would wash nowadays.

14. (My Bold) Does the word superfluous mean anything to you?