2k run

Morning Chaps.

Apologies advance for the long post.

I've applied to join my local 4PARA 2weeks ago (been wanting to do it for years but covid has helped make the decision), am still waiting on medical results from GP and waiting to hear when assessment centres open back up.

Since applying 2weeks ago I've started doing 5k runs every 2-3 days along with some workouts in the house (body weight / circuits type stuff)
I am 33 and consider myself reasonably fit, But 2 days ago I tried to do the 2k run in under 8min15secs. I did 2.1k in 8min15secs (accidentally) which probably works out at doing the 2k in about 8mins. But what has worried me a bit was, later that day I checked my Fitbit to see what my heart rate was and it peaked at 209BPM I have only recently started wearing one as I got it as a bday present. But after checking online my Max BPM for my age should be 187.
I'm wondering what the best thing is to do? If it takes my heart rate going into a dangerous zone to pass the run, should I be trying to do it again or what?
Does this just mean I am not fit enough and need to train more at a lesser pace or distance first?

Anyone got any info or experience of this?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Your maximum heart rate is your maximum heart rate, not 220-your age. You've done well to find out what your maximum heart rate is, then you can base your zones off that.

So running at 187 should be 89% for you based on your 100% being 209 and not 187 going off the 220-age theory, which is probably the maximum you want to be running at over a shortish distance.

There is a specific test for finding out your maximum heart rate zones, have a look online just to double check. I dont want to give duff advice but I have done a bit of research on it as I run according to heart rate zones.

Was the run on a treadmill or outdoors?

Your maximum heart rate is your maximum heart rate, not 220-your age. You've done well to find out what your maximum heart rate is, then you can base your zones off that.

So running at 187 should be 89% for you based on your 100% being 209 and not 187 going off the 220-age theory, which is probably the maximum you want to be running at over a shortish distance.

There is a specific test for finding out your maximum heart rate zones, have a look online just to double check. I dont want to give duff advice but I have done a bit of research on it as I run according to heart rate zones.

Was the run on a treadmill or outdoors?
Thanks Mrsheeny, I did think I felt fine when I ran it, I'm not too worried about it now lol.
It was outside on a 400m track in the local park.

I will continue my runs now and somehow try and get my time down while keeping the HR down too.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Thanks Mrsheeny, I did think I felt fine when I ran it, I'm not too worried about it now lol.
It was outside on a 400m track in the local park.

I will continue my runs now and somehow try and get my time down while keeping the HR down too.

I trained for selection running 3k x 3 times a week at max 88% heart rate, so once it started bleeping I'd slow down. I got used to the pace so when it came to selection I didn't worry about racing all the young whipper snappers, I stuck to the pace I knew and on the 2nd lap overtook at least 8 or 9 lads and finished mid group. I needed 10:15 and finished with more than a minute to spare.

Take the fit bit off before it causes you to have a heart attack.

In all seriousness, do you feel ok during and after the run? Only you can answer this.

I'd increase the frequency of your runs, to at least every 2 days and work up to 6 days a week, with one 2km speed run a week. Gradually increase the distance to 6miles/10km. Given you have a few weeks AT LEAST until an assessment, you can concentrate on strength and stamina, then look at improving your 2km run time.

One or two runs, break up a bit; have a few stretches where you run fast/spring between two objects (lamp-posts, for example), then jog double the distance. Repeat. On another run break up with activities; run 1KM, stop do 20 pressup, run 500m, stop and do 20 situps, run 500m stop do 20 squat thrusts, run 500m stop do 20 leg raises

You get the idea, the exercises can be anything from planks, leg raises, squat thrusts, burpees, press-ups, situps (twist sit-ups are better).

Dont concentrate on the fitbit, concentrate on exercising at <max potential and building yourself up.

I trained for selection running 3k x 3 times a week at max 88% heart rate, so once it started bleeping I'd slow down. I got used to the pace so when it came to selection I didn't worry about racing all the young whipper snappers, I stuck to the pace I knew and on the 2nd lap overtook at least 8 or 9 lads and finished mid group. I needed 10:15 and finished with more than a minute to spare.
Nice.

Take the fit bit off before it causes you to have a heart attack.

In all seriousness, do you feel ok during and after the run? Only you can answer this.

I'd increase the frequency of your runs, to at least every 2 days and work up to 6 days a week, with one 2km speed run a week. Gradually increase the distance to 6miles/10km. Given you have a few weeks AT LEAST until an assessment, you can concentrate on strength and stamina, then look at improving your 2km run time.

One or two runs, break up a bit; have a few stretches where you run fast/spring between two objects (lamp-posts, for example), then jog double the distance. Repeat. On another run break up with activities; run 1KM, stop do 20 pressup, run 500m, stop and do 20 situps, run 500m stop do 20 squat thrusts, run 500m stop do 20 leg raises

You get the idea, the exercises can be anything from planks, leg raises, squat thrusts, burpees, press-ups, situps (twist sit-ups are better).

Dont concentrate on the fitbit, concentrate on exercising at QUOTE]Good advice mate thanks.
I did feel like my heart had been worked hard like a dull ache slightly but I am a bit of a hypochondriac too lol. I did feel fine. I reckon the assessment centres won't be open for at least a few more weeks as you say. So I will start doing some more running and 5-10k and do the fast 2k once a week. Also press ups etc later in the days or every other day.
Would you say it's counter productive to do strength conditioning on the same day as a run?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
These electronic gizmos are also prone to the occasional electronic brain fart. My Garmin told me I was dead the other day until I gave it a stern talking to. I'm in the tiny_lewis camp - listen to what your body's telling you and mix up your exercise. Also, don't push it to the point of injury - there's nothing worse than watching months of hard work evaporate because you tried to run through a muscle pull.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ta. So 1.5 miles is now out?
That's about right, but you didn't specify which sensible units. I might have specified it in parsecs, but I'd have had to look up a conversion table, and result would have been exceedingly small anyway.

I did feel like my heart had been worked hard like a dull ache slightly but I am a bit of a hypochondriac too lol. I did feel fine. I reckon the assessment centres won't be open for at least a few more weeks as you say. So I will start doing some more running and 5-10k and do the fast 2k once a week. Also press ups etc later in the days or every other day.
Would you say it's counter productive to do strength conditioning on the same day as a run?
If you are a "bit of a hypochondriac, then 4PARA probably isn't for you; a 2km run is the easiest "test" there is.

Put it this way, nothing but respect for anyone who volunteers. BUT, its not all physical, a lot of it is in the mind. The Reserve is a doodle to get into. But P Coy - even Reserve PCoy, is a tad harder. You have got to WANT that beret. When it gets hard, its mental stamina that keeps you going, sheer bloody determination. You do NOT want that little voice in your head that tells you something else, that its not your fault you are stopping, its because you are "fucked/ill/heart murmer/other bollocks".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing press-ups etc on the same day. Its hardly 'conditioning' to do 25 pressups, 25 situps, then go for a run, and repeat at the end before stretching off. Why are you not doing them 3 times a day anyway? And building up from 25 to say 50. Only takes a minute or two, can be done in any kit.

Latest Threads