Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If medically discharged with "P8 L8 QR 9.387 Permanent" does that mean that the AFCS and AFPS consider your injury permanent when deciding your pension and compensation? For example not giving an interim payment etc with the usual 2 year wait?

Thanks
No, it just means they think you'll never regain fitness.

Thanks for your reply. I have copied the paragraphs from the PAP10 document and Queens Regulations.

Can you explain the difference to me if possible?

Is it not possible that the MOD/AFCS/AFPS has been interpreting this wrong for a lot of injured veterans?

By this I mean if they believe you "may" later improve one should be discharged under 9.386.
If they deem it to be "permanent" then one is discharged under 9.387.

I am happy to be corrected but I believe it may be important to many others also.

I have a fair bit of time on my hands so trying to get familiar with the official rules as reading on here it seems nothing is straight forward with medical discharge and pension etc.

PAP 10

"d. QRs Paragraph 9.386 ‘Ceasing to Fulfil Army Medical Requirements, that is, Temporarily Unfit for any form of Army Service’. This applies to an individual graded P8 for a condition that may at a later date improve. Individuals discharged under this paragraph are transferred to the Reserve and may be mobilised in future emergencies. If the individual’s medical condition is incompatible with this commitment discharge must be effected under paragraph 9.387."

"e. QRs Paragraph 9.387 ‘Ceasing to fulfil Army Medical Requirements, that is, Permanently Medically Unfit for any form of Army Service (now or in the future)’. This is the correct type of discharge in the grade P8 if the condition is permanent"

QUEENS REGULATIONS

Ceasing to Fulfil Army Medical Requirements, that is Temporarily Unfit for Any Form of Army Service .
a. The competent military authority to authorize termination is the Director General Army Personnel Centre/Military Secretariat.
b. The Armed Forces Act 2006 Statutory Instruments govern this authority.
c. This paragraph applies to a soldier who is medically unfit for any form of Army service and is ineligible for retention under current regulations, but who may at a later date improve and become fit for some form of service in time of emergency.
d. The competent military authority is not to authorize termination unless the soldier has appeared before a medical board, the proceedings of F Med 19 have been confirmed by the Commander Medical of the district or division and the form in PULHHEEMS Administrative Pamphlet 2007, Appendix 6 has been forwarded to him.
e. The officer commanding of the MDHU is the soldier's commanding officer if the soldier is to be terminated direct from hospital. 9

9.387. Ceasing to Fulfil Army Medical Requirements, that is Permanently Medically Unfit for Any Form of Army Service. a. The competent military authority to authorize termination is the Director General Army Personnel Centre/Military Secretariat.
b. The Armed Forces Act 2006 Statutory Instruments govern this authority.
c. This paragraph applies to a soldier who is medically unfit for any form of Army service and is likely to remain so permanently.
d. The competent military authority is not to authorize termination unless the soldier has appeared before a medical board, the proceedings of F Med 19 have been confirmed by the Commander Medical of the district or division and the form in PULHHEEMS Administrative Pamphlet 2007, Appendix 6 has been forwarded to him.
e. The officer commanding the military hospital is the soldier's commanding officer if the soldier is to be terminated direct from hospital.

Also in my case it is a P8 L8 Perm 9.387

Locomotion ( L 7 )

Able to:
- Independently organise and manage travel to work requirements. - Move around the proposed place of work relevant to the individual’s CEG – a minimum of 2 flights of stairs and 100m over uneven ground. - Can stand for moderate (25 mins unsupported) but not prolonged periods relevant to the individual’s CEG. - Walk 3.2 Km unassisted, without walking aids but inclusive of prosthetics where appropriate within one hour and repeat the test after 24 hours.

Locomotion ( P 8 )

Unable to pass a weapons handling test. Unable to wear full current in-Service operational body armour or the minimum theatre entry standard body armour.

As I am P8 L8 Perm 9.387 perm and physically unable to achieve L7 standards, this would mean that I am deemed permanently unable to obtain the L7 standards?

This should be interpreted as so regarding AFCS and AFPS?

If so what pension tier should I be placed?
If you look at what you posted dispassionately you'd see you have given yourself a big steer.

In your PAP10 para you stated:

"d. QRs Paragraph 9.386 ‘Ceasing to Fulfil Army Medical Requirements, that is, Temporarily Unfit for any form of Army Service’. This applies to an individual graded P8 for a condition that may at a later date improve. Individuals discharged under this paragraph are transferred to the Reserve and may be mobilised in future emergencies. If the individual’s medical condition is incompatible with this commitment discharge must be effected under paragraph 9.387."

Being graded P8 on your FMB and recommended for discharge indicates that whether or not the board believe your condition may improve at a later date, they believe that is is unlikely to improve to a sufficient condition that you could regain fully the PES required in a reasonable time-frame, if at all.

As for Pension and AFCS matters (both are linked) I reccommend you join The Forces Pension Society

At the risk of seeming rude, which I can be on accasion, you would do well to read the numerous threads on AFCS and med discharge, you'd then realise there isn't anyone on here than can 100% give you the answers you seek. An awful lot of us have been through the route you are embarking on, each has their own experience be that good or bad and each is different.

Basically veterans UK hold all the strings and can pull whichever they choose. It's down to you to find someone with knowledge of AFCS legislation to challenge their decisions if you believe them to be wrong. Veterans UK has to follow the legislation, but how they interpret that legislation can at times be faulty.

Some of your questions can actually be answered by veterans UK, try writing to them and see what you get back. Keep copies of all correspondence sent and received.

I'm one who is on the long road with vets uk what dun N dusted stated about vets uk is correct I no of plenty of people who are on the same path they hold all the cards the only time you will get your voice heard is at a trybunral but it's a long ass wait I'm pushing past 6 years just to get a reconsideration and that will be another 7 month.

Latest Threads