29 year old Chinese language graduate wondering about the posibility of fast-trackin

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Rodimus_Prime, Aug 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Just had a chat to local recruiting sergeant today. Ive just completed a Chinese language degree (2:2) but I am however already 29 years old. The recruiting sergeant said that normal officer training route was no longer an option (as have to already be at Sandhurst by 29th birthday), however he told me about an older applicant he knew who had lived in Moscow for a year and learnt to speak Russian who applied to be a regular soldier and is now being fast-tracked to be an officer in the Intelligence Corps. I was wondering with my degree (and already having previously lived in Beijing for two years, once in 2002 as an english teacher and once in 2007 as the year abroad part of my degree) how likely is it if I applied to be a regular soldier and expressed an interest in the Intelligence Corps that I would be fast-tracked to becoming an officer?

(Alongside having a degree in Chinese language I am also able to speak, read and write Mongolian to an intermediate level)

Thank you

2. You couldn't be 'fast tracked' as a 29-year old Regular soldier, you could only hope to have a blisteringly fast progression to WO2 and then secure a Late Entry Commission. That would imply being something pretty special. I'd be minded to take the anecdote of matey boy with the year in Moscow being destined for stardom on that basis with something of a pinch of salt; even this many years down the road, the Corps isn't short of Russian speakers with considerably higher-level qualifications than 'a year living in Moscow'!

On the other hand, as a person with a proven language aptitude (not, alas, in a current target language, as far as I know), there are a number of hugely interesting things you could do in the Corps as a Junior NCO, assuming you could wrap your brain round yet another alphabet and yet another deep grammar.

3. msr

msr LE

Have you thought about the TA Linguists Pool? They would rip your arm off if you speak Chinese.

National TA Units - British Army Website

Providing you pass the board, I believe you would go straight in as a Captain.

msr

4. Glad_Its_All_Over you hit on something I was thinking myself. It took me four years of studying, 3 years on top of a year studying in China to acquire a reasonable level of fleuncy, I was wondering how a guy that had just lived in a place for a year could become so crash hot at the language that he was in such high demand.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I would be very tempted to write to the Int Corps and see what they say. I know of people who have gone to Sandhurst over age so anything is possible. You could also try the RAF who are more relaxed about age anyway.

6. I didn't see Chinese on the list, but then again they are looking for Arabis speakers. ;-)

7. msr

msr LE

It's not very impressive is it? But in their defence, they are probably not responsible for that page..

8. Got any leadership skills?

9. Why do you feel the need to be an Officer. Frankly you will probably have a much more interesting time in the Int Corps as a soldier than you will as a junior Officer.

10. Hi in response to questions asked here. What leaderships skills/experience do I have? well at secondary school I was Form football and Rugby captain for 3 years each, and whilst teaching in China I had to control classrooms of 50+ students of various english abilities, who being teenagers didnt always want to be there (which I think requires some leadership abilities). I also have a lot of project management experience from organising exhibitions, from conception to unveiling, whilst working at an art gallery. Why do I feel the need to be an officer? well perhaps Rebel is right, I dont necessarily have to be, but would be nice to be in a higher position of leadership, plus the extra money would always be a bonus, as well as when it comes to leaving the army (whether rightly or wrongly) having been an officer is more appealing to potential employers than having been an uncommissioned soldier.

11. I've noticed no disadvantage in my professional career after leaving the Army for not having been an officer. Mind you, Burger King aren't that choosy, in any case.

12. aye, they take some on to meet EU quotas don't they?

13. It certainly worked to my advantage. Lots of competition to be the Angus man, I had to fight the enormous Slovak who had the gig before me. Luckily, he wasn't looking out for the old dill pickle trick, as taught me by Whiskybreath.

14. That's what I told the officer selection board, when they asked me why I wanted to be commissioned. I said, "it would be nice and the extra money would be a bonus".

Mind you, I retired as a Warrant Officer ...

15. RAF will let you commission up tp 36, you have to be a WO1 to get an LE commiccion in the Corps due to the previous DInt