29 Regt RLC Posting

Discussion in 'RLC' started by zom757, Aug 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I might be getting posted to 29 Regt RLC next year (AGC). Can anyone give me any useful stuff on the place? Do they deploy a lot etc?

Cheers

2. 29 are, along with 24 Regt, one of The Corps' two recently reformed Postal, Courier and Movements Regts. 29 PC & M Regt is (apart from two of its (better) sub-units (88 and 80 PC)), based in South Cerney near Cirencester in Gloucestershire and in addition to running the JAMC, the Regt provides support to deployed ops and other UK Defence activities worldwide. Its sub-units are among the most heavily deployed in the British Army.

The 29 Regt detail on the army.mod.uk website is well out of date.

3. Depending on what job your doing, RHQ don't deploy and the sqn clk's only go if the whole sqn deploys rather than large elements. Top place though, I would go back tomorrow if offered the chance.
    If your married, the qtrs are OK and new ones are being built. Tesco extra just down the road, but no buses to and from camp so self drive or taxis!!

Local nightlife is bearable, with cheltenham and swindon not far. You will end up in the rock one night in Ciren, but guarantee you don't go twice!!

Enjoy :)

4. [quote="Dragstrip] 29 PC & M Regt is (apart from two of its (better) sub-units (88 and 80 PC)), based in South Cerney near Cirencester in Gloucestershire.[/quote]

80 PC is the best Sqn in the Regt!! but it is based at South Cerney. Its 81 and 88 that are elsewhere, they are yet to qualify to enter 80's stomping ground!!

5. 80 PC is the best Sqn in the Regt!! but it is based at South Cerney. Its 81 and 88 that are elsewhere, they are yet to qualify to enter 80's stomping ground!![/quote]

Ah yes, quite right; it's 81 and 88 that are poorly placed and not 80. However, I do have to pick you up on your 'best Sqn' assertion. Everybody knows that, these days, 80 Sqn blows!

6. So I've heard, pity that as 80 was the Sqn to be with. but hey ho, it wasn't 'cos i left was it? :p

7. It might have been. Probably something to do with all of those skeletons in your cupboard!

You're right though, not so long ago 80 was definately the unit to be in. I'm not sure but they must have been well up there in the list of most widely dispersed/deployed sub-units in the Army. When I was there I think we were in about 20 different places at once.

I have to say that the new cyclical structure for the ex & ops sub-units has great potential. Hopefuly we will embrace the concept fully with better support from APC and with 24 & 29 Regts' RCMOs being brought to the fore as principle G3 members of RHQ staff (after all, when you have a unit whose mission is simply to 'provide capability at readiness', in support of activity that is principally manpower led, the RCMO is King). Indeed, with a trade the size of PCS, there is no good reason why our people cannot be managed effectively as individuals rather than by reliance upon an inappropriate hands-off process that has been designed to handle much larger and, dare I say more complex, trades such as Driver 110.

8. you is an officer int you?

I agree.

9. Tangent post...Does the OC of 80 Sqn have the initials PS ?

10. but the Sqn cat is called Jim

11. Was there today, there is a lot of building work going on, looks nice and clean though, plenty of wide open spaces.

12. True, assuming you're talking about Cerney, it is a nice camp and is getting better with the new builds that are going on. A bit remote for some tastes though; Cirencester's close-by but the nearest big towns, Cheltenham and Swindon, are about a light year away. Plus you're bang on top of the Cotswolds Water Park (or whatever it's called).