29 Nov 19: London Bridge sealed off amid reports of gunfire . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would simply require the withdrawal from the European Union.
Its the ECHR that prevents us from having the death penalty. All members of the EU are required to be signatories of the ECHR. Leaving the EU wouldn’t change our position on the ECHR, that would require a definitive politic process. We would also have to repeal the Human Rights Act 1998.

The HRA 1998 is considered by many to be an important constitutional act and also entrenched making it difficult to repeal.

ACAB

LE
Its the ECHR that prevents us from having the death penalty. All members of the EU are required to be signatories of the ECHR. Leaving the EU wouldn’t change our position on the ECHR, that would require a definitive politic process. We would also have to repeal the Human Rights Act 1998.

The HRA 1998 is considered by many to be an important constitutional act and also entrenched making it difficult to repeal.
Absolute crap, as I will prove tomorrow.

Absolute crap, as I will prove tomorrow.
AFAIA, Protocol 6 of (part of) the ECHR prohibits capital punishment, except for in times of war or events leading up to war.

Protocol 13, however, removes even the wartime get out clause.

ISTR, that states do have the ability to withdraw, territorially fully or in part, from the ECHR by giving some period of notice.

AFAIA, Protocol 6 of (part of) the ECHR prohibits capital punishment, except for in times of war or events leading up to war.

Protocol 13, however, removes even the wartime get out clause.

ISTR, that states do have the ability to withdraw, territorially fully or in part, from the ECHR by giving some period of notice.

ARTICLE 1

Abolition of the death penalty

The death penalty shall be abolished. No one shall be condemned to such penalty or executed.

It would simply require the withdrawal from the European Union.

Did you know, the EU still have the Death Penalty, or 'Use of Lethal Force' on the books for crimes such as 'Civil Disorder'. Makes you wonder what they worry about, does it not?
You really are making things up now, aren't you.

The sad thing is, you probably believe the shit you come out with.

In 2012, Latvia became the last EU Member State to abolish capital punishment in wartime. As of 2019, in Europe, the death penalty for both civilian and military crimes has been abolished in all countries except Belarus (which is not in the EU, by the way).

A

Last edited:
I know a few people who go out on the streets at night supporting people who live on the streets and those who find themselves in a bad way. These volunteers have all been aware of the kinds of risk they run and they have received some training in what to do and when discretion is the better part of valour. But they still go and do stuff I wouldn't want to, and they do it because they think it's the right thing to do for one's fellow humans.

I'd call them courageous, both physically and morally.

I imagine that most in the rehabilitation business are also aware of what their 'clients' had done and the potential dangers, but they still do it because they think it's the right thing to do for one's fellow humans.
I've moved your last para into second place. In that order, I'd agree with you. However, I'd say there's quite a difference between "...people who live on the streets and those those who find themselves in a bad way..." and trying to treat bars tards who are trying to kill you with the same compassion. It's called survival.

The para I've moved into third place, I'd agree with if we lived in an ideal world. When bars tards are trying to kill you, that is far from an ideal world. Just my opinion.

I see that the Daily Mail identifies Extinguisher Man as a former heroin addict out on licence for manslaughter, having had 'his life turned around' by Jack Merritt.

Bloody do-gooder.

She was a public servant (in the correct sense) and was murdered by an XRW nutter, but the reaction to her death was not sufficient to reverse 60+ years old policies and see the death penalty restored - and a good thing too. It serves no purpose and is barbaric.
100% of those executed do not reoffend. There is the purpose.

When you have incidents such as the murder of Lee Rigby and these most recent murders, quite frankly, I find the use of the term "barbarism" offensive when used in opposition to them forfeiting their lives as a direct result of their own barbaric actions.

Judicial hanging vs what happened to Fus Rigby is in no way comparable on any sensible scale of barbarism.

Thinking back to PC Blakelock; he was hacked to death with machetes. If stringing the culprits up is thought to be barbaric, then I'll wear that hat all day long.

100% of those executed do not reoffend. There is the purpose.

When you have incidents such as the murder of Lee Rigby and these most recent murders, quite frankly, I find the use of the term "barbarism" offensive when used in opposition to them forfeiting their lives as a direct result of their own barbaric actions.

Judicial hanging vs what happened to Fus Rigby is in no way comparable on any sensible scale of barbarism.

Thinking back to PC Blakelock; he was hacked to death with machetes. If stringing the culprits up is thought to be barbaric, then I'll wear that hat all day long.
It doesn’t matter what you or I think, capital punishment will not be returning to the UK any time soon. If you think it should, raise a petition.

Good riddance. For terrorists who intend to go as martyrs, capital punishment offers no disincentive; indeed, quite the opposite.

But it will never be reintroduced in the UK.
Good riddance? Shamefully nasty in CA for no reason. This forum is kept to a higher standard than the others.

I have long noted that those in possession of weak arguments, less-than-worldly experience, blinkered vision, or worst of all, possessed of a Dunning-Krueger constrained view (or indeed all four), often resort to snide, personal attacks. That is all fine, but on Arrse, that is not cricket in CA.

Good riddance? Shamefully nasty in CA for no reason. This forum is kept to a higher standard than the others.

I have long noted that those in possession of weak arguments, less-than-worldly experience, blinkered vision, or worst of all, possessed of a Dunning-Krueger constrained view (or indeed all four), often resort to snide, personal attacks. That is all fine, but on Arrse, that is not cricket in CA.
Ok, how would the theoretical introduction of capital punishment in the UK have deterred last Friday’s attack? Or Fus Rigby’s, given that you cite it?
Or the Manchester bombing, or the previous London Bridge attack, or the Westminster attack...did it deter Timothy McVeigh?

Ok, how would the theoretical introduction of capital punishment in the UK have deterred last Friday’s attack? Or Fus Rigby’s, given that you cite it?
No further debate; I have stated my position.

Had you remained within the realm of reasoned debate, I would have been willing to engage. Sadly, this hasn't been the case. Goodnight.

Or the Manchester bombing, or the previous London Bridge attack, or the Westminster attack...did it deter Timothy McVeigh?
In that theoretical model it would have prevented last fridays attack.

It turns out he had a previous conviction for plotting terrorism , so would have been strung up, and deservidly so.

Wouldn't have been able to do it again.

And I think this is the point.
Never mind deterrence, never mind the fact they want to become a martyr. Hang them before they have another go, and save some innocent lives in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads