29 Nov 19: London Bridge sealed off amid reports of gunfire . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
PERSEC fail.

Which coming from somebody who has set their profile to:
"This member limits who may view their full profile. "
is a bit ironic.
Use fake details?

Use a temporary email account to set one up.
I often use my general managers details when setting stuff up.

On a totally unrelated note, I hope he enjoyed his free tena for men sample.

And the butt plug catalogue.

Slime

LE
If only. All it would have took is one passing car with dodgy steering and brakes.
It could have changed the course of history.
If only indeed. But as Labour were voted out in ‘79 the UK’s niche ‘dodgy vehicle building’ capacity started to dwindle. :)

Thank you

I worked in That London mid 80s till the early 90s, can distinctly recall little plastic police "sentry boxes" at various key points in town.
They were and still are City Police not Met.

I don't believe that it's as adult as that: he has woven himself a small universe whereby he 'wins' whenever he pokes 'gammons' (whatever they are) and shows them up for the closed-minded and reactionary closet Nazis that they are.

That his strategy is to automatically gainsay whatever pops up next is neither here nor there: he 'wins' . . . hahaha.

Apparently.
Does it also annoy some people?

I don't believe that it's as adult as that: he has woven himself a small universe whereby he 'wins' whenever he pokes 'gammons' (whatever they are) and shows them up for the closed-minded and reactionary closet Nazis that they are.

That his strategy is to automatically gainsay whatever pops up next is neither here nor there: he 'wins' . . . hahaha.

Apparently.
Spot on sir.

longhair

Clanker
Most interesting comments this morning, from one Hanif Khadir (Sp?) a former Al Qaida recruit now apparently on the deradicalisation programme in S London - ‘Today’, Radio 4, at 1h 53:00 in, for 5mins.
He details measures that should have been in place and people on the programme can not be trusted: “by nature and by default, these individuals are devious and manipulative ... they don’t trust you, so why should you trust them ... “
It’s worth listening to.
Relevant 5 minutes available here: Uploadfiles.io - interview.mp3
( Link expires end of December 2019 - still looking for a free, anonymous, media file host ...)

The automatic release of prisoners having served half their sentence was introduced in the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 by Labour.

This was abolished in 2012, but anyone sentenced between those dates (e,g Khan) would be automatically released at their half way point without parole board or probation service being involved.

You’re a police officer, are you not more constrained by the law than criminals are?

This article suggests that automatic release at the halfway point is still current and has not been rescinded by The Tories over the last 9.5 years.

IPP was abolished in 2012.

Am I missing something?

My point being that 'sophistication' should not come into sentencing.

If I carry out a mass casualty attack alone with a rented Transit or generate the same outcome with multiple accomplices, complex explosive devices, good compartmentalisation and coordination I have still effected a mass casualty attack.

I'm suggesting that victims and their families really don't care how "sophisticated" the attack is and that a lower level of "sophistication" engenders a lower sentence is a disgrace.
So your object all sublime
Is to make the punishment fit the crime?

Other than the fact that the current government is obeying a ECHR finding . Then no mate.
That doesn’t answer whether the automatic halfway release matter is still in force as suggested by The Guardian article or rescinded in 2012 as stated by Dingerr.

Which ECHR finding are you referring to?

Other than the fact that the current government is obeying a ECHR finding . Then no mate.
Actually it was a UK High court that first deemed it to be illegal. The government (Blair's lot) had introduced IPP for terrorist offences in 2001 after the WTC bombings. They then increased it for certain other crimes in 2005.
The UK high court said this was against the human rights of the sentenced. The first high court ruling was in relation to child offences after the Bulger killing and the second one was after an appeal by the lawyers of some multi-killer.

Labour appealed to the House of Lords (our highest appeal court then as we had no Supreme Court). The Law Lords upheld the decision and the government then appealed to the ECHR who, after about 7 years, upheld the ruling of both the high court and the House of Lords.

So, yes, it was eventually a ECHR finding which simply agreed with the previous UK system.

(Of course, none of those courts from the high court through the House of Lords up to the ECHR mentioned the human rights of the victims in any of these cases - and @PhotEx seems to think it was a EU supreme court (there isn't one) instead of the ECHR which is not a EU body).

That doesn’t answer whether the automatic halfway release matter is still in force as suggested by The Guardian article or rescinded in 2012 as stated by Dingerr.

Which ECHR finding are you referring to?
My understanding from following the news is that the ECHR ruled in 2008 that IPP sentences were against the human rights act. Happy to be proven incorrect sir.

I worked in That London mid 80s till the early 90s, can distinctly recall little plastic police "sentry boxes" at various key points in town.
The "ring of steel" around the City of London, situated at chicanes built into roads at major entry points.

They were not permanent, and only very rarely manned.

ETA: beaten to it by @Joker62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads