29 Nov 19: London Bridge sealed off amid reports of gunfire . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arts funding stops terrorism apparently. Who knew eh?

The average criminal, let alone hardened offender or fanatical terrorist must just take one look at these people and see a massive flashing sign on their heads saying mug.
I strongly suspect graphic facilitator's were amongst the first people to be placed on board the Golgafrinchan Ark Ship B.........

As I understand it, it’s the automatic release at the half way point that could have been changed by the government in power for the last 9.5 years.

Johnson is campaigning on doing just that if he is elected. I understand that IPP or whatever it is called, is outside the control of the govt.
They did change it, but the law is not retrospective and could not be applied to him as the change came after he was sentenced. The Home Secretary no longer has a say in these things following rulings in ECtHR.

Except that you did: << say that Police numbers had absolutely no impact on the deadly events of Friday 29th November>>
Nope.

This is what I said:

1575392648188.png

... I said, after that comment.

1575392544900.png

This is simply not saying the number of Police numbers had an impact on the events.

Not the times of the comments.

You snide little liar.

And?

The presence of Police on London Bridge that day would have had little or no bearing on the initial events of Friday. The murders of the two civilians took place inside Fishmongers Hall: the only death outside that venue was that of Khan.
I mention that I thought there used to be a Police presence on the bridge. You seem utterly certain that Khan would not have been deterred from entering the premises if that presence had been maintained.

You seem utterly certain he would not have been deterred from travelling with a large knife and a fake bomb vest by the simple presence of increased Police numbers.

I suggest it as a possibility. You cannot possibly state otherwise with certainty.

Did I mention you're a snide little liar?

The privatisation fiasco with the Probation Service that cost £500 million and impacted on offender management is worthy of discussion.
True enough though, again, as the part-privatisation of the PS was focused on low and medium risk offenders, I'm not sure how that would have impacted on the events of Friday 29 November.

. . . still, that's probably of little comfort to serving Police Officers who deal with society's casualties on a daily basis: then again, in my (limited) experience many, many years ago it made you grind your teeth a touch when the little darling coughs to 80+ other offences as TIC.

Last edited:
PERSEC fail.

Which coming from somebody who has set their profile to:
"This member limits who may view their full profile. "
is a bit ironic.
OK, I’ll accept you are rubbish and do indeed need your mother to wipe your backside.

They did change it, but the law is not retrospective and could not be applied to him as the change came after he was sentenced. The Home Secretary no longer has a say in these things following rulings in ECtHR.
We still have an automatic release scheme at the half way point, are you sure that it has been changed?

Johnson is campaigning on changing in to 2/3 if he is elected.

unicorn77

War Hero
I've not said they had.

Not that you can be so certain, now you come to mention it.

IIRC there used to be a permanent Police presence on tbe bridge a few years ago during the Republican terror campaign.
I used to walk across London Bridge during rush hour from 1978 to 1984, which, as I understand it, was during the terror campaign, and I never saw any police. However, as I was heading south in the morning and vice versa in the evening, all I did see was a wall of people moving as if joined at the hip, seemingly oblivious of the lone salmon swimming upstream unless they were deliberately trying to trample me. And that was before they had mobile phones to occupying them.

Hope that helps.

No need to fake anything.

Corbyn you say, a bridge, an anti semite and a terrorist.......all on a bridge in London you say......

Easy peasy.

View attachment 434440
If only. All it would have took is one passing car with dodgy steering and brakes.
It could have changed the course of history.

I've not said they had.

Not that you can be so certain, now you come to mention it.

IIRC there used to be a permanent Police presence on tbe bridge a few years ago during the Republican terror campaign.
Was there? Really? I don't think so old chap.

Misterio

Old-Salt
Apparently, when Death Row was kicked and 25 years sentences imposed, a good few did themselves in.....one in under 4 hours. Unlikely a large number of them can or will do 25 years..so it's a living death sentence.
Seems reasonable.
Saves us a pretty penny.

We still have an automatic release scheme at the half way point, are you sure that it has been changed?

Johnson is campaigning on changing in to 2/3 if he is elected.
The automatic release of prisoners having served half their sentence was introduced in the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 by Labour.

This was abolished in 2012, but anyone sentenced between those dates (e,g Khan) would be automatically released at their half way point without parole board or probation service being involved.

You’re a police officer, are you not more constrained by the law than criminals are?

I used to walk across London Bridge during rush hour from 1978 to 1984, which, as I understand it, was during the terror campaign, and I never saw any police. However, as I was heading south in the morning and vice versa in the evening, all I did see was a wall of people moving as if joined at the hip, seemingly oblivious of the lone salmon swimming upstream unless they were deliberately trying to trample me. And that was before they had mobile phones to occupying them.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

I worked in That London mid 80s till the early 90s, can distinctly recall little plastic police "sentry boxes" at various key points in town.

That's the issue;

"If i'm elected"

It should be done now, immediately, no debates, no election nonsense.

Now

He's putting a political campaign above the safety of those he serves.

Treason imo.
Trouble is, I think that such legislation needs to be passed to amend an active Act of Parliament: that, of course, requires a sitting House.

At one time an Order in Council (passed by the Privy Council) might have been sufficient* to amend that ruling, though it would still need to be enacted as a separate Act to become Statute Law.

*have to admit that I'm on dodgy ground, here, as it's been a while since I've needed to care about such things

Was there? Really? I don't think so old chap.
Hence "IIRC".

As mentioned in my last, I can recall little plastic boxes at various key points. I think you indicated you used to travel over this bridge daily - I'll take your word for it, obvs.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thank you

I worked in That London mid 80s till the early 90s, can distinctly recall little plastic police "sentry boxes" at various key points in town.
IIRC, they are on the boundaries of the City of London. They form part of a chicane to slow vehicles down for when "The Ring of Steel" was in operation and vehicle checks are in operation. There are still a few around, Barbican, Moorgate and Ludgate Hill to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads