29 got my assmement date, still trying to decide.port op, air dispatcher or army air corps soldier

Can't decide what to have as my first choice,driver port op,air dispatcher or air Corps soldier/ground crew. Any one give me advice on what is the best option/career move and what has more chance of promotion.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as 'the best option' the only person who should really have a opinion is you, because nobody here cares about your life half as much as you do. So research them all and make your own choice on that. Promotions ect im sure someone could give advice there.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thank You for your answer, it's very hard to decide because they all have the pros and cons. I have my family and children to consider as well. Even though my wife knows what is going to happen and how much strain will both be under anything got to be better then stacking shelves in a supermarket. Just wanted to know what would be the most exciting role and best prospects for us all.

Well, if it was me going through a corps trade ect, id pick the one that was most appealing, then apply for a chance to serve with the air assault brigade so as a chance to push yourself that bit harder and take it from there.. As known, the brigade seems to be pretty static in Colchester, so for a family this may provide abit more stability for your family. Just a suggestion on how id play it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thank you mate that's helped a lot, with port op your based at marchwood Southampton and not moved very often and your rarely get deployed that much.but the air assault brigade looks very excting. Cannot wait for my assement now I have put so much work into my fitness and basically changed my whole life around because of it.

Thank you guys, I go up the 5th of Feb so I am now going to up my running even more. Last week I ran 18k in 1:20:49. I'm going to get plenty of hill running in to strength my legs.also hit the squat rack lol

Even though my wife knows what is going to happen and how much strain will both be under anything got to be better then stacking shelves in a supermarket.
There's knowing she and the kids aren't going to see you for potentially months at a time and then actually experiencing it. Still, if she has family and friends nearby to support her while you're away.

I'm on course with several AAC atm and they seem to get some pretty decent postings from what they've said as they're attached / supporting all sorts of various units located everywhere. Sounds alright!

Thank you mate that's helped a lot, with port op your based at marchwood Southampton and not moved very often and your rarely get deployed that much.but the air assault brigade looks very excting. Cannot wait for my assement now I have put so much work into my fitness and basically changed my whole life around because of it.
Marchwood barracks is quite good :)!

There's knowing she and the kids aren't going to see you for potentially months at a time and then actually experiencing it. Still, if she has family and friends nearby to support her while you're away.

I'm on course with several AAC atm and they seem to get some pretty decent postings from what they've said as they're attached / supporting all sorts of various units located everywhere. Sounds alright!
That's why port op is a good option as it is still in Southampton where we live. But she gets that I want to experience a lot more that's why, aac is so appealing and I know that I will get to see the world doing that job. Where as port op I have been told you don't get posted away very often. But if any one can tell me what marchwood and port op is like?

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Have a look at 17 Port and Maritime Regt RLCs Facebook page. I`m sure you could get some pointers there.

I was there in 1978 - 79 at the REME Wksp. I suppose it might have changed a bit now though.

Have a look at 17 Port and Maritime Regt RLCs Facebook page. I`m sure you could get some pointers there.

I was there in 1978 - 79 at the REME Wksp. I suppose it might have changed a bit now though.
Thanks for the help mate spoke to a lot of lads on fourm and I now have a nco giving me a lot of info. I was wandering does any one know if there is anything the same for the air core as these are my two choices and I cannot decide.

If it was not for those brave men & woman shelf filling you could not buy your shopping?
Some have done the most ardous course known to mankind just to get the job!
Hope you come to my stores for your kit as i have a nice pile of crap i'm trying to get rid of.
And all have your name on it, now!

cheers guys passed selection and got a 9:40 run time my job choices have been taken out of my hands now as due to eyesight no aac gutted. so looks like it will be port op after all. thanks for all your help and advice so far this only the begging of the fun now :)