29 Dec: 2XFrench Foreign Légionnaires killed by ANA soldier in RC EAST

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by fantassin, Dec 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A WO1 and a Sgt belonging to the recce Pn (GCM) of the 2°REG (FFL Eng Rgt supporting the FRA Mountain Bgde) have been killed by an ANA soldier in Jangali yesterday morning.

The killer was wearing an ANA uniform and he shot both NCOs in the back before being "neutralized". The two NCOs belonged to TF Tiger and they were supporting the ANA during an operation in the Jangali pass area.

2 French soldiers killed in Afghanistan attack - CNN.com
  2. RIP lads.

Was the killer an ANA soldier or just wearing the Uniform?
  3. Official report says "wearing ANA uniform". To me it's just a way of not painting all the ANA soldiers with the same brush at the time when transition is the key word and nobody want to alienate our Afghan friends....

Local intel says INS have been wearing ANA uniforms fot a while in the area where the incident took place but considering the distances had they been INS they would have been spotted before getting within firing range.
  4. Mort pour la France. RIP
  5. Enemy "neutralised" - nice one, fantassin!
    Nevertheless I am extremely sorry to hear this news, so alien to some of the folk who post on here but in some cases have never been anywhere. Mort pour la France - RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RIP brave allies
  7. RIP.
    Fair play on killing the bastard off as well... too many times reports are of ANA blue kills and getting away.
  8. Dormez bien mes amis.
  9. It's has been confirmed that the cnut who killed those two FFL NCOs was an ANA member; the two Légionnaires had set up their position close to an ANA post during an Op in which they were supporting an ANA unit.

The killer simply walked out of the ANA post and opened fire on them, killing them both.
  10. There's a brief biography (in French) of one of the two Legionnaires here: L

Edit: I don't know what I've done wrong, as the link is only showing as the letter L? It does still work though, and links to an article on the French Army's website.
  11. The identity of the second NCO has been revealed: sergent Damien ZINGARELLI (2e Régiment étranger de génie), a Frenchman who, just like his brother, had joined the Foreign Legion. He had completed 8 years of service in the 1er REC and 2° REG when he was killed.
  12. Legio Patria Nostra, mes freres. Bonne courage, vous deux..
  13. Some new infos on that murder: the culprit was an ANA soldier who was looking for an opportunity to kill some coalition soldiers on that day; he had shaven and was wearing a white garment under his uniform in preparation for his future death.

He probably targeted the two NCOs because they had removed their flack jackets and were busy digging foxholes, probably thinking they were safe in close vicinity of an ANA position. Their rifles were close at hands but they were shot in the back and had no time to act in self-defense.