29 Commando Regiment RA

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by JayCam, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this regiment does any kind of familiarisation visits or such like? I am climbing the ladder to a career as an officer and thought that 29 Cmdo Rg would be a great choice of arm for after Sandhurst but I would like to find out more!

Cheers,

J.

2. Try the RN RM site.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

4. I have been on the website. Thanks for that. I must have missed that link somehow. I thought it might just be the RM or RA familiarisation that you go to.. my mistake. Typical arrse response to a bone question lol.

J.

5. 29 Cdo is a Gunner Regiment - you therefore should do a Gunner Fam. You would then choose Gunners as your choice of arm and ask to go to 29 Cdo when at YOs (unless the process has changed).

If there is space, if they are taking YOs that time and if the other 10 or so YOs on your course don't want to go as well (4 people applied for 2 slots on my YOs), then you may go to 29.

As to whether they run a fam visit purely for that Regt, go to the RA website and look for 29 Cdo Regt RA. They live in Plymouth in a big castle by the sea (most of them). Contact them direct (if the site gives you that option).

6. Thanks that was the info I was looking for! Planning to do a gunners fam visit after my AOSB Briefing, cheers!

J.

7. Speak to your careers office 29 do fam days but not for ruperts but it will get into the hallowed walls of the citadel and once you go there you wont want to serve in any other regt!

8. Absolutley correct there meiktilaman............no other regiment comes near it...I was there 68 to 73, now living back in Plymouth, some good tours in Singapore as well

9. Thanks for the comments. I think 29 RA will be my first choice as long as I can get fit enough during the lead up to Sandhurst. Sounds like a fantastic regiment indeed!

J.

10. Well Jaycam, you need to be fit and really fit, you need to plod along and not give up when it gets a little bit tough on your legs and the rest of yor body...JFDI