29 Commando life

Hi,
I was just wondering the chances on joining this unit after phase 2 training and what daily life is like. Probably a bit of an open question, I was discharged from Royal Marine training a few months ago after 6 months and it grates me every day. I got given 2 years to potentially return but I can't see myself waiting that long due to my training records not being very good (Mainly down to bad luck and my own personal failings. I experienced a huge drop in fitness after 5 weeks due to becoming ill with a throat infection hence I failed gym tests numerous times, which also affected my performance elsewhere and as a result my reports are a bit shi**)I'm currently seeking employment, and I believe If I were to rejoin I'd have a hard time explaining my previous records hence my plan to go for the army first, gain valuable experience, and ideally get commando trained, hence my unit preference.
Many thanks!

Hi,
I was just wondering the chances on joining this unit after phase 2 training and what daily life is like. Probably a bit of an open question, I was discharged from Royal Marine training a few months ago after 6 months and it grates me every day. I got given 2 years to potentially return but I can't see myself waiting that long due to my training records not being very good (Mainly down to bad luck and my own personal failings. I experienced a huge drop in fitness after 5 weeks due to becoming ill with a throat infection hence I failed gym tests numerous times, which also affected my performance elsewhere and as a result my reports are a bit shi**)I'm currently seeking employment, and I believe If I were to rejoin I'd have a hard time explaining my previous records hence my plan to go for the army first, gain valuable experience, and ideally get commando trained, hence my unit preference.
Many thanks!
Who's to say you'll get through Phase 2 Training?

Is there anything in life you haven't failed at so far?

I'm not a Gunner but an ex-Spr. 24 Cdo Engr Regt certainly used to take people directly from Ph2. There was a pre-AACC run by the Regt to improve fitness levels and then off to Lympstone for the course itself. Fail and it'll be off to anywhere else.

However, and I imagine 29 are the same, there is no guarantee that you would spend the rest of your career within 3x. The Corps' post people around to suit. When 24 Regt was formed to reinforce 59 Sqn (not strictly correct but you get the idea) there was a general trawl for Cdo trained Spr's across the Corps. Not a few Planties and MT types got a bit of a shock when they realised they were going to have to cast off their pasties and squeeze into their phys rig again.

The route to 3x through the Army is every bit as physically and mentally demanding as RM recruit training. In some ways harder. Even if you've only just passed Ph2 training you will be seen as a trained soldier and expected to behave accordingly, self discipline rather than that imposed by a training team. Given your history, only you know if that's for you.

I get that you may not have anything better to but that is unnecessary.

I'm not a Gunner but an ex-Spr. 24 Cdo Engr Regt certainly used to take people directly from Ph2. There was a pre-AACC run by the Regt to improve fitness levels and then off to Lympstone for the course itself. Fail and it'll be off to anywhere else.

However, and I imagine 29 are the same, there is no guarantee that you would spend the rest of your career within 3x. The Corps' post people around to suit. When 24 Regt was formed to reinforce 59 Sqn (not strictly correct but you get the idea) there was a general trawl for Cdo trained Spr's across the Corps. Not a few Planties and MT types got a bit of a shock when they realised they were going to have to cast off their pasties and squeeze into their phys rig again.

The route to 3x through the Army is every bit as physically and mentally demanding as RM recruit training. In some ways harder. Even if you've only just passed Ph2 training you will be seen as a trained soldier and expected to behave accordingly, self discipline rather than that imposed by a training team. Given your history, only you know if that's for you.
Appreciate this, thanks.