29 commando, 7 para?

AS my first job choice i picked gunner crewman and i was looking at the light gun, i see on the army website there are 2 regiments, 29 commando and 7 para. i was wondering how hard it is to get into either of these two? is it a case of being picked by them or applying yourself to do it? (forgive me if it's a daft question) i'll be asking my recruiter on Wednesday but i might as well ask here as well.

P

PrinceAlbert

You can ask to be posted to either regt. You then have to pass P coy, or the AAC course depending.

AS my first job choice i picked gunner crewman and i was looking at the light gun, i see on the army website there are 2 regiments, 29 commando and 7 para. i was wondering how hard it is to get into either of these two? is it a case of being picked by them or applying yourself to do it? (forgive me if it's a daft question) i'll be asking my recruiter on Wednesday but i might as well ask here as well.
You can apply direct, a Brucie bonus is that you get bags of extra PT at phase 2 giving you a fighting chance of completing your chosen course and not peaking too early.

Dont do what my pal did and decide on a 'normal' regiment with the self assured promise that you'll crack the course later after a tour or 2, he turned into a knacker and embarrassed himself early on at 29.

You can apply direct, a Brucie bonus is that you get bags of extra PT at phase 2 giving you a fighting chance of completing your chosen course and not peaking too early.

Dont do what my pal did and decide on a 'normal' regiment with the self assured promise that you'll crack the course later after a tour or 2, he turned into a knacker and embarrassed himself early on at 29.
And additional phys in Phase 1 if you go to Harrogate, well Albertous Junior did when he was there a few years ago, dont know about the adult Phase 1 establishments. If you go for it do yourself a favour with the lidded DS and put 29 or the badged donkey-wallahs as your first choice regiment. I may be a touch biased but pass the AACC and you can get your wings without P Coy, the reverse is not true, i.e. pass P Coy but you still have to do the AACC for your dagger.

Step back and watch the 29 v 7RHA bun fight commence!!! 29 will win obviously.

And additional phys in Phase 1 if you go to Harrogate, well Albertous Junior did when he was there a few years ago, dont know about the adult Phase 1 establishments. If you go for it do yourself a favour with the lidded DS and put 29 or the badged donkey-wallahs as your first choice regiment. I may be a touch biased but pass the AACC and you can get your wings without P Coy, the reverse is not true, i.e. pass P Coy but you still have to do the AACC for your dagger.

so if i do the aacc i get wings too? so in general i'm better off going for the 29 commando route?

Step back and watch the 29 v 7RHA bun fight commence!!! 29 will win obviously.
so after doing the aacc you get wings too?

Your not even in yet, you might find out that you're a complete biff.. baby steps grasshopper...
yeah i know, i just really want 29 commando or 7 RHA, i just want to gather as much info as i can, like i say though I'll be asking my recruiter on Wednesday.

so if i do the aacc i get wings too? so in general i'm better off going for the 29 commando route?
If your job within 29 requires it yes you will get your wings up. In the old days when there was not such a backlog of loading on the Basic Parachute Course you could do the jumps and get your wings up anyway. A different story nowadays so Junior tells me.

I think the AACC is considered the same as P Company (arduous sp? course). Meaning you dont have to waste time doing it.
Unfortunately for our winged "friends" the reverse is not true and they have to do the All Arms to wear the green lid, posting from 29 to 7 its change of lid and BPC no worries and no P coy. Posting from 7 to 29 and its the delights ofr Oakers then Lympstone.

Unfortunately for our winged "friends" the reverse is not true and they have to do the All Arms to wear the green lid, posting from 29 to 7 its change of lid and BPC no worries and no P coy. Posting from 7 to 29 and its the delights ofr Oakers then Lympstone.
However, most transferees, certainly officer types from 29, have undertaken P Company as a matter of course, Jim Phillipson for one, its expected they crack the course but if I'm rightly informed some don't. A few BCs and BSMs have undertaken full transfers from 29 with the course being completed, a mate of mine, Matt, a lad whose missus lived in Plymouth went to 29 from 7th as a lance jack in 1997, binned it off, had a bit of time outside and joined the Royal Marines, strange career path but there's a lot of politics involved, he was given a lot of stick so fucked them off during beat up. These courses mean everything to those involved, like it or not its a right of passage.