29/30 yrsold, missed officer recruitment - too old for soldier?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by BeardyNerd, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

I've been puzzling over this recently and haven't managed to come to a conclusion so I thought I'd ask some of those in the thick of it.

I have recently finished my PhD, am 29 now and 30 in Sep, I've decided academia is not for me and instead after, much discussion with a mate in the Commandos, opted to apply as an officer in the Intelligence Corps. However, I'm too old. This is still a career path I am very keen to pursue and was told by the guys at my Army recruitment centre that I could still join the Int Corp as a soldier up until 33.

Now, I was hoping to get some some personal, unofficial input regarding this: do you think that join the Int Corp as a soldier at 29, soon to be 30, is too old? I know I will be one of - if the - oldest person there, but I'd like to get a bit of insight as to what others may actually think about it, from both the view of a joining solider and as a more senior soldier?

Thanks in advance,

2. You won't be the oldest person there - get yourself fit and there's no reason why your experience should be any different from the younger recruits.

Best of luck!

3. Appreciate the quick response and vote of confidence! Fit won't be a problem as I'm somewhat of a gym nut! Soldier vs Officer starting pay could be but that's another issue.

Thanks again, you've definitely nudged my down the 'signing up' path, or "Nut up and sign up, you'll love it" as my commando mate said!

4. I concur with Zero_Over, age shouldn't be a problem, especially in the Int Corps. Go for it, you may only regret it if you don't.

As a possible alternative, the RAF take officers at later ages than RMAS do. You could take a gamble on joining as a Crab, become an Int Offr and apply to transfer to the Int Corps after a couple of years. The world is your shellfish.

5. BeardyNerd, I had the same issue to some extent. I did serve when I was younger left to further my education. After gaining my A levels and my degree I went back to the AFCO in very blunt words they said "To old for RMAS" (Im 29) so I have signed up as a soldier. So far past BARB, Taster day, interviews, and have now been given my ADSC date for the 11th of October. There are a few of us "Oldies" around buddy

6. There are phase 2 trainees in the signals who are over 30 so don't worry about age. With your intelligence you should get a trade where you promote to LCpl from training and then with your maturity you should report well and promote fairly quickly so you won't be too far behind on pay - ish

7. Join the Royal Navy as a CT.

8. msr

msr LE

Or commission into the TA

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not being overly familiar with the ins and outs of things, is enlisting in the TA and then converting to the regulars not an option?

10. Too old to use the search function. Shame.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.