.280/30 making a start

ugly

LE
I'm wondering if starting at 30 grains is too low?
The message that started this: " the 6.5x47 Lapua round that round starts at 31.7gr of CFE223 for 2428fps with the 150gr bullet.."
If I'm struggling to get 2100 fps at 29 grains what would 32 grains or even 34 grains get me?

I'm wondering if starting at 30 grains is too low?
The message that started this: " the 6.5x47 Lapua round that round starts at 31.7gr of CFE223 for 2428fps with the 150gr bullet.."
If I'm struggling to get 2100 fps at 29 grains what would 32 grains or even 34 grains get me?
It’s on that list I have sent you buddy. Not sure what the septic is trying to do.

ugly

LE
Waste time and money, do you have a better starter load?

@clayp1g has and he keeps sending me the download. I really should save it:roll:
It’s on that sheet bud. I have sent it to the septic in the last two weeks have a look. I even highlighted the powders we have.

ugly

LE
38.1 grains as a maximum load. If I load fifty cases that gives me ten five round group steps. That gives me only 36.1 grains as a starting point. CFE223 is a smooth flowing ball type powder that meters easily and also doesn't take up too much room.
I could load 100 rounds in two batches of fifty, I use five round groups to get an average MV and ME for each group. I would prefer to use ten round groups but I'm not Rockefeller! I think I'll quickly check my bullet stash!

38.1 grains as a maximum load. If I load fifty cases that gives me ten five round group steps. That gives me only 36.1 grains as a starting point. CFE223 is a smooth flowing ball type powder that meters easily and also doesn't take up too much room.
I could load 100 rounds in two batches of fifty, I use five round groups to get an average MV and ME for each group. I would prefer to use ten round groups but I'm not Rockefeller! I think I'll quickly check my bullet stash!
If you're looking for pressure signs, then one of each will do initially.

ugly

LE
Right a quick check gives me 250 ish of the 150 grain sierra match kings, 200 158 grain Groms and about 3 or 400 160 grain speer soft points. There are also a large ish number of 120 and 140 grain bullets kicking around in 7mm.
I also have about 3 pounds of cfe223 available!

ugly

LE
I'm less looking for over pressure than under if you get me! The max load @clayp1g has posted earlier will be fine, I expect if I start at 35 grains and look also for a stable load that gives a good group then I will have achieved my aim. It needs to be over 2600 fps if possible and over 2000 ft pounds of ME to fit into that category!
I can predict bullet drop on my sierra load program so it may allow me to have two different point blank sight settings or even a happy middle ground. I've managed that before with .303 and having a mag full of 123 grain and a mag full of 150 grain bullets.

ugly

LE
I could just load ten cases with the maximum and it may just work, however that takes away the fun of the testing!

I'm less looking for over pressure than under if you get me! The max load @clayp1g has posted earlier will be fine, I expect if I start at 35 grains and look also for a stable load that gives a good group then I will have achieved my aim. It needs to be over 2600 fps if possible and over 2000 ft pounds of ME to fit into that category!
I can predict bullet drop on my sierra load program so it may allow me to have two different point blank sight settings or even a happy middle ground. I've managed that before with .303 and having a mag full of 123 grain and a mag full of 150 grain bullets.
Just a reminder that load is for a 140g pill

ugly

LE
You know what I suspect thats the next trick, load up about 20 rounds and run them through the chrono, the sums afterwards will be as revealing as the visual inspection of the primers.

Ive only just butchered him, I would have left him hanging for longer but the shepherd wants the chiller for real ale and it cant be that cold.