.280/30 making a start

ugly

LE
Ive been offered free a load of 7mm bullets so I will be taking him up on that!

ugly

LE
Warning, sound quality isn't great, a few voices intrude due to location of camera and the camera is at the side of the audience. I will consider presenting this to camera studio style and properly edited

Just looked them up = ouch !
what about Hornady 139 7mm SST ? Same BC ?
I am trying to move away from projectiles containing lead. Its also the way militaries are moving, for better or worse.

You are right though to prove the concept it would prove to be a lot cheeper.

ugly

LE
Sorry, lecture delivered and been busy field testing on deer, not had a bullet recovered yet for comparison however thats no bad thing. We need to start testing the CFE 223 loads too. Been a bit busy really. I will extract a digit!

ugly

LE
I was planning to get some loads done with cfe223, I haven't done anything yet not only have I been busy with the shoot I just havent had time to work the loads up.
I must make a start as I can then work up a faster load for the 150 plus grain loads.

ugly

LE
I went out in search of Muntjac and a murder Roe Buck this morning. Bad decision, the morning mist descended at Dawn and was a proper thick pea souper. I had loaded the 120 grain GMX again. Did see a Doe so I may take the .280 out this afternoon after I have finished welding. I dont need to do a feed round, I just need to go round the farm.

ugly

LE
Indeed, however I do need to check that the 3/4 full feeders haven't been knocked over by deer or the farmer who has been hedgerow flailing the last couple of days. Also it allows me to (race about on the quad) finish welding the game rack and check on any dead birds etc oh and kill a few things but if I take a shotgun as well I wont be tempted to waste .280 ammo on squirrels.

So Uggs any more tails of the mighty 280/30?

ugly

LE
Tales indeed. I managed to mangle a Roebuck in thick cover yesterday, it took ages to clean him up. I am unsure of the entry wound as it was dark before I finished but the round deflected and exited in his rump. Luckily it didn't burst the gut but its the second one thats deflected. Both were 140 grain sierra soft points and the first one was on a muntjac. I'm wondering if it isn't stable at close ranges as the Muntjac was only 40 yards away and this buck was half of that at least.
Still I managed to recover the projectile in the hide but I'm still left wondering about how he was stood when I fired. I aimed at his shoulder but he must have been turned and showing me his backside . They can turn and look over there shoulder.
Still back out this afternoon and I'll try and get the other buck that likes the maize cover crop.
The boss has said cull them. I will make a start on the does next week.
The jacket and core of the recovered pill. Not weighed it yet
IMG-20181024-WA0003.jpg

This is the chap with the deformed antler, good to get him out of the gene pool although he has possibly already done the biz. I will see what the youngsters look like.
1540409949227.jpg

ugly

LE
Last day of the Roebuck season down here, does start tomorrow, out at 0610 temp was 4 degrees and off I went.
Weather was overcast, purple clouds breaking through the dawn light.
Off I went to the willows drive and as I walked to the edge of the cover there were three does about 60 yards away. I stopped and watched for an age but these didn't seem to have a buck with them. After about 15 minutes off they trotted to the other side of the field. I decided to have a walk around to the far side of the big house via two recently productive patches of cover crop. As I entered what would I thought be my final field there breaking from the treeline only about 140 yards of were two bucks. I was surprised but they were in the oilseed so I could only see their heads. I decided to skirt the field and have a look at them with the sun behind me.
I managed to get into dead ground and started moving back north when I just saw them on the other edge of a copse. 2 does and 2 bucks. It must be a family group that hadn't split up.
I lined up on the bigger buck and of went the safety. Trigger slack taken up and click, nothing. bolt up and down again, click nothing, drop onto a knee and open the bolt, no ejected round but there was one in the chamber that wouldn't eject.
Damn, still there is still this afternoon after feeding. I walked back to the car, unloaded the rifle less the stuck round and drove home, temp had dropped to 1 degree in those 2 hours.
The cartridge I cleared with a rod at home. The case when being formed had an issue with a deformed rim I gently ground it smooth and checked it would feed. It did but I must have hit a shallower bit and there wasn't enough rim for the extractor to grip at that angle. Its in the evidence box now!
A great mornings walk mind.

What was the origin of that cartridge out of interest?
.243?

ugly

LE
Remind me again why you chose this over the .308/243 case.

TIA
It works with no neck turning and was the original parent case for the .308! I know everyone says its a shortened 30-06 but it isn't, its actually a reformed .300 Savage and needs no annealing.
The case failed because I had one with a deformed rim which I found on resizing. It wouldn't go in the shell holder. I put it through a bit of filing and I must have taken too much off one side.

ugly

LE
The next achievable challenge is the deer numbers. I suppose it may take me a few years but 150 deer isn't out of reach.
I have put any further load development on hold until I am sure about what I want. I still believe that 15o to 160 grain loads should be achievable. I just need to find the right powder.

ugly

LE
I will be creating a new blog dedicated to this cartridge maybe over the holidays or in the new year!

ugly

LE
So Uggs any more tails of the mighty 280/30?
@ugly - anything new happening ?
Alright I can take a hint:
@clayp1g and I have been in stilted conversation with Rusty (another sceptic) who seems to be trying to reinvent the wheel over the .280.
He did however suggest a starting load for the 150 grain bullets using CFE223 (I seem to have a fair bit of this) based upon working backwards from the maximum load for 6.5 x 47.
I have copied verbatim the email I have just sent out.
"Ok, I was bored and it was only midday, I drove out to the farm with the five test loads and some 120 grain ball for a control.
I did notice that I had dropped the ball and loaded a neck turned case made from a HPS .308 case in with the others, this was fired as shot number 4 and explains the variation due to neck tension being different.
Load was 29 grains of CFE 223 in converted cases for .280/30 British topped with a Sierra Matchking 150 grain bullet. 4 cases were .300 Savage by Winchester and one sadly (my mistake) was a converted .308 case by HPS. A control round was fired using a 120 grain soft point for comparison.
1. MV was read as 2038 fps, no primer flow visible
2. MV was read as 2037 fps, no primer flow visible
3. MV was read as 2044 fps, no primer flow visible
4. MV was read as 2158 fps, no primer flow visible
5. MV was read as 2044 fps, no primer flow visible
6. MV was read as 2618 fps, no primer flow visible
I have attached pics of the case heads to view. Ignoring the round 4 the average MV is 2040 with a muzzle energy of 1385 foot pounds, far too low to be deer legal, the 120 grain load generated 1825 foot pounds, far more respectable. I will work up a load table based on 30 grains as a starting point."
Below is out Chrono:
IMG-20190523-00917.jpg

The target is only 60 feet away, its to give me a target to aim at to ensure I dont trash the chrono, Bench is a SanAngelo folding bench thats getting on a bit but ts more than paid for itself and I treated myself to a newer tripod for the chrono from Aged Concerns window display for a £5.
IMG-20190523-00918.jpg

No primer flow present and no backing out of the case, test results are fairly pedestrian.
IMG-20190523-00932.jpg

all 6 rounds including the faster 120 grain control round were tight together
IMG-20190523-00934.jpg

I will start on an increasing load for the 150 grain pill this weekend. I hope to get the Colonel out and get him shooting too.