.280/30 making a start

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No, it wasn't my intention to use any previous material from lectures. I was going to simply refer to the late Tony Edwards work as well known throughout the association.
I was hooping it was accepted by the audience. The lecture is about resurrecting the cartridge for general use both sporting and target!
The only let down so far is lack of medium and long distance testing, we have managed to get range time back as far as 300m but need 500, 600 and eventually 900 yards/metres for some testing.
Are you going to get time before do you think?

no worries, I'm in the process of trying to get it from Kew. i'll make it available to @ugly if successful

ugly

LE
no worries, I'm in the process of trying to get it from Kew. i'll make it available to @ugly if successful
You are a star, I will after the lecture put up my notes and link to the lecture.

ugly

LE
The HBSA lecture is now tomorrow evening. Hmm no nerves yet, I have the presentation, spread sheets and notes all ready, I have also put together a small collection of bits for folk to touch and see!

I have my best heckle lines worked out mate. You will be fine.

ugly

LE
20:00
HBSA Lecture topic = Resurrecting the 7mm Mk1z or .280/30
WhenMon, 21 May, 20:00 – 21:30
WhereLondon Bridge Range (MRPC) (map)
DescriptionSpeaker = Ugly

I have been working for three years on getting the .280/30 cartridge up and running again and I have quite a bit of research and notes available for a lecture. This is in part similar to the West Brothers works but sadly without an EM2 rifle to test the ammunition.
more details» copy to my calendar
If anyone attending is misled, its at the museum of London near St Pauls Tube rather than the range at 1 London Bridge!

ugly

LE
Are you going to get time before do you think?
Sadly beaten by time and money. I will look at the next six hundred yard shoot in the club calendar!

ugly

LE
I could manage all the distances back to 1000 yards, 200, 300, 500, 600 and finally a day of 900 and 1000 are all available this year. Work means I may be able to get over for most of them unless I change jobs. I suppose I need to work out a range table for the distances and the 6x42 S&B Scope.
140 grain pill at 2700 fps.
Also just to spanner things, Clayp1g has found some better 139 grain bullets which will need testing. It may all be back to the drawing board as these should still be supersonic at 1000 yards.

ugly

LE
Well the lecture went reasonably well, the camera batteries went flat, I stopped using my notes but it seemed to go down really well. I held off naming the riflesmith or the chap that hung onto our original ammo and we had a pretty high powered audience. The Curator of the NFC attended along with the archivist, we were gifted copies of the spec for the ammo from the 1950's again the actual name of the propellant wasn't given.
I have about half an hour of the lecture on tape, I may put it up if its wanted.

ugly

LE
If I get invited back I may re do it with actual results from long range. I have been invited to a 900 yards shoot next month. What I may do is get it edited, and add in the missing bits. That or redo the lecture just to Camera.

Well the lecture went reasonably well, the camera batteries went flat, I stopped using my notes but it seemed to go down really well. I held off naming the riflesmith or the chap that hung onto our original ammo and we had a pretty high powered audience. The Curator of the NFC attended along with the archivist, we were gifted copies of the spec for the ammo from the 1950's again the actual name of the propellant wasn't given.
I have about half an hour of the lecture on tape, I may put it up if its wanted.
Please do, I'm very interested.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
Please do, I'm very interested.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Ok but what I will do is redo the lecture to a professional video recorder who can insert the slides into the video and make it look like I'm not reading from a crib sheet!

Put it up, mate, put it up

ugly

LE
Its still uploading to you tube

I could manage all the distances back to 1000 yards, 200, 300, 500, 600 and finally a day of 900 and 1000 are all available this year. Work means I may be able to get over for most of them unless I change jobs. I suppose I need to work out a range table for the distances and the 6x42 S&B Scope.
140 grain pill at 2700 fps.
Also just to spanner things, Clayp1g has found some better 139 grain bullets which will need testing. It may all be back to the drawing board as these should still be supersonic at 1000 yards.
Stop keeping us in suspenders!
Be cracking if you got supersonic at 1000 yards - "There yer have it fellas, we was robbed in the 50's and we can prove it !" - Those pills @claypig has - which ones be they ?
Be even better if you got a tap on the shoulder from a Yankee gent asking about the possibility of using your research to put it in a L129 clone. A decent rifle, driving the .280/30 and out performing the 7.62. - all do-able 50 years ago.

The pills are 139gr hornady GMX. Solids and non toxic. Good BC but fecking expensive.

The pills are 139gr hornady GMX. Solids and non toxic. Good BC but fecking expensive.
Just looked them up = ouch !
what about Hornady 139 7mm SST ? Same BC ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moon_Monkey_Spunk RLC 3
S Royal Signals 26
2 Royal Signals 43