.280/30 making a start

ugly

LE
image.jpg

well after a few goes at case forming I have bought some more toys and am fairly close to making a run of brass for Clayp1g and I when our new rifles arrive.
Today sat in the sun after a night shift I managed to anneal over 200 decent .308 once fired cases and since taking a few lessons on neck turning from my mate a certain antipodean match rifleman I have ordered the bits I need. The brass above is today's effort, hopefully now I will have a better success rate than the roughly twelve percent rate previously

The brass requires annealing at what appears to be half way down the body as we are not only setting the neck and shoulder back 8mm but also reducing the body and neck down to 7mm in places, the neck turning will be required to remove the excess brass allowing the rounds to chamber
image.jpg

The case on the left has a wrinkle on the shoulder, changing methods slightly means this shouldn't happen and the case on the right is what it should look like, below is the good case at 51mm long against the 43mm long loaded case of the 7mm Mk1Z from the EM2 or Rifle No9

image.jpg

So on we go, updates to follow!

Glad it is going OK.

If you are on the ball(!) with it now, do you still need that thin(ish) Remington Brass I mentioned?

ugly

LE
I'll let you know tomorrow is crap weather so I'm making the most of the sunshine with cleaning rifles and photographing stock to update the website

Crikey. Played that man !
so, you actually start with .308 and resize ? Was that a happy co-incidence or was the original design based on a shortened 30-06 cartridge ?

ugly

LE
It's an unhappy in the history of the cartridge event but good for us, trials showed a five foot drop at five hundred yards so the round was beefed up using the dimensions of the .30-06 case head as a base which of course had already been shortened into the T56 which became our beloved 7.62 x 51 case or .308 to those of us infused by internet experts.
We have to reduce cartridge case length from 51 to 43 mm but it's still not as radical as the 8 x 33 that FN originally proposed!

ugly

LE
Crikey. Played that man !
so, you actually start with .308 and resize ? Was that a happy co-incidence or was the original design based on a shortened 30-06 cartridge ?
The best bit is it means any .243 or .308 rifle can become a donor action!

The best bit is it means any .243 or .308 rifle can become a donor action!
As the cartridge is shorter than 5.56, what projectiles could be used to get it down from a COL of 65mm to 57.4? I've just checked that it would fit in an EMAG and a 7.62x51 case does.

ugly

LE
I suppose 100 grain bullets might but frankly I wouldn't bother, it's not about fitting into a stanag mag but about recreating a cartridge so we can get a cracking round for stalking and target shooting. if the MoD want to buy our research from us then they know where we live, they pay our pensions!

I suppose 100 grain bullets might but frankly I wouldn't bother, it's not about fitting into a stanag mag but about recreating a cartridge so we can get a cracking round for stalking and target shooting. if the MoD want to buy our research from us then they know where we live, they pay our pensions!
Sure, I just think it would be an interesting line of development.

Engage a damn good contracts lawyer before you do ! :smile:
Not that they'd attempt to shaft you, of course....

ugly

LE
They wouldn't bother with contracts just balls it up on their own and make a mess as per usual

ugly

LE
I'm hoping Varget will be useful, I'm about to acquire an eight pound tin of it

Sure, I just think it would be an interesting line of development.
Wonder if Lewis Machine Tool Co could be persuaded to run a .280 version of their L129A1...oh the irony if the SF world picked it up and ran with it....

Wonder if Lewis Machine Tool Co could be persuaded to run a .280 version of their L129A1...oh the irony if the SF world picked it up and ran with it....
Has been mentioned in another thread...

To be honest just a barrel change then sort out gas port size.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Get a straight pull built first, that should get their attention!

Get a straight pull built first, that should get their attention!
Either way - I think earlier poster had it right,you WILL need a damn good legal eagle - and maybe a brilliant Lobbyist ?

That amount of brass ( your first post ) will keep you out of trouble for a good while ! Best of Luck mate.