28 Year Old Looking to Join up.

marcg868

Swinger
Hello,
Basically I'm 28 currently working in the NHS as a Healthcare Assistant after two deferalls from Army Application in the past. I applied when i was 18, got all the way to the week before selection and then ended up having a motorcycle accident, Fracture Pelvis, Fracture Tibial Plateau. Applied again at 24 got deferred on my Medical due to Heart Murmur. Retracted my application.

Had the Heart Murmur looked into by Bupa, aswell as other tests due to Hypertension. Heart Murmur was benign and Hypertension was due to poor diet, lack of fitness at the time and smoking.

After 4 years the desire that ive had since School to join the Army is still here and I'm looking to make an Application around september time as 12 months will have past since i Fractured my leg Mountain biking.

But enough rambling, how long realistically would i be able to stay in the Army if i joined at 28/29? Would i get a full 20 years service?

Also I'm looking at three Roles, Combat Medic, IT Systems Operator, and Communications System Operator. Now I cant find any information on the It Systems Operator regarding phase 2 training etc and what are the major differences between It Systems Op and Comms System op.

Ideally My 1st choice would be Combat Medic, as i have a Healthcare Background at the moment. But exploring something different also.

Help Appreciated.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
After all the accidents/health issues you've had in civvy street, do yo really think the army is a goog place for you to be?

I got bored reading what you want to do but think you'll probably electrocute yourself or some bystander. You will definitely have an ND on a range or on tour that i can feel in my bones.

You sound like you've done well so far why do you need to still scratch that itch? Is it the uniform, split up with the missus no job. Just seems a bit late in life to do basic. You need to go to the careers office.

L

lumpy2

After all the accidents/health issues you've had in civvy street, do yo really think the army is a goog place for you to be?

I got bored reading what you want to do but think you'll probably electrocute yourself or some bystander. You will definitely have an ND on a range or on tour that i can feel in my bones.

You sound like you've done well so far why do you need to still scratch that itch? Is it the uniform, split up with the missus no job. Just seems a bit late in life to do basic. You need to go to the careers office.

Who shat on your sugar puffs this morning?

If you haven't got anything positive to say, why don't you shove off and play in the Naafi?

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Who shat on yours? Anyway they get to soggy.

Apologies if my reply was to unhelpful and unwanted so to clarify.

1. 28 seems ( to me ) a little old to join the army without any previous ties.

2. The OP should be clear in his own mind about why he is asking this question. A huge commitment and life change.

3. The OP needs to go to a careers office to get the correct answers to his questions and then make up his own mind.

4. The chances are that further accidents will happen. So please take care within the armed forces.

5. I have no idea reference the job specs apart from I.T. or Communications systems operator seems a worldaway from combat medic. ( ref point 2.)

6. Can the OP perhaps join a T.A. medical / field hospital unit. To get a feel and possibility of an ftrs/S type engagement and sign on after.

Again i will say a huge life change at 28 ( in my opinion ).which is what brought me to read this post. Hence the OP should not make a rash decision if indeed they have experienced a pot hole in they're road through life.

I hope this is of some help and doesn't make anybody's cereal go soggy.

marcg868

Swinger
Yes a lot of injuries the leg and pelvis break were something I could not avoid, car ran red light and plowed straight into me. Second time was just a unfortunate accident.

Wanted to join the Army since I was young, ideally I'd like to combine my experience in healthcare but I'm considering other options also.
My reason why I'm thinking of a career change is I think working on major Trauma patients in the Army is a he'll of a lot more exciting than the mundane dailly ward work on a general medicalward.

Also the Salary is a lot better in the Army than it is in the NHS

The other roles listed are just options.

CQMS

LE
Our military adventures around the world are drawing to a close so if you want to join to work on major trauma patients think again. You'll be dishing out pills on a sick parade if you're lucky.

Go NHS if you want to be a medic, go Army if you want to be a soldier.

Go for it. Unless you try you won't know.

marcg868

Swinger
That's the whole point. Combine both army and medical. Did consider the reserves but I'd ratherit be full-time.

You're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions - that's the nature of a random Internet forum - Google "Sciolist" - but the decision is yours to take. As has been noted, you're more likely to see major trauma in A&E.

U

UkSam1990

T/A would give you best of both worlds. Something to consider but if your heart is 100% on regular then do it. Dont live to regret.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

marcg868

Swinger
Definitely agree with what your saying Harry. Reserves is a good idea but really want to join full time if I can. It's a seriously irritating itch that needs to be scratched. Even if I'm only in four years or longer. I don't want to hit fifty and think, I wish I'd of followed it through. Wanting to join feeling s have not gone away.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Watching world cup aswell as this so bear with me. As stated it was your age that interested me.

What you've said sounds admirable. I would also say that work within a medical unit sounds up your road.

I am by no way an expert, as you can see by my knuckles being already rapped for not being helpful. I think being some sort of systems operator would be very boring for someone who sounds to be very practically competent in helping face to face those who need your aid.

Again have you considered the T.A. field medical units. Your experience would of no doubt be a great help to you and them. This would give you all the inside information plus a number, pay and the possibility of full time engagements with the regular army, which i know, you could then extend by signing up for your relevent commitment.

You would have to speak to the careers office or a friendly Admin Officer for end of service dates but theres all sorts of people extending their service in different posts.

In my day they were always screaming out for medics. No pun intended.

Either the T.A. or straight in for a full time you'll need to be physically fit. This should be a personal thing at your age, that your doing anyway. Jogging 3 miles and incorporatig press ups and sit ups. You dont have to go mad but i should say you should be doing this at least 3 times a week. If your fitnes is squared away it does make training a shit load easier. You can spend more time polishing and cleaning things instead.

Good luck in your endeavours.

I'm 28 and in turbo clip these days.....

marcg868

Swinger
Wouldn't say I'm majorly fit at the moment but I could probably get my 1.5 mile time down to understand 11 minutes in a month or so. Pressups 40 in a min so far, situps not exactly counted but I do them a lot.

Not ran for a while but mountain bike 20/30 miles 4/5 times a week and swim 50/60 lengths twice a week.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
The thing on the fitness is that either the TA or regs will build up your fitness levels during basic. The fitter you are the easier phisically and mentally the training should be.

I joined the inf in 89 and was already fit before hand. Which helped in that i didnt get stressed about the fiz but looked forward to it. Apart from the ungodly hour you did it. This helped me recovering quicker and getting my kit sorted etc.

Also different arms / corps etc have differing fitness standards, which im sure you can get from official sites if there are any pre entry standards.

As for major trauma i agree that less ops less chance of you dealing with it. People still break things, get heat exhaustion, blisters, pneumonia, blisters, bites, blisters, std's, and blisters.

I think that doing the sick parades and giving out biff chits is the job and no different at keogh barracks or Helmand province. Hopefully the major trauma would be few and far between. Our RAMC use to do our first aid training and were with us everywhere we went as intedral part of the unit.

If you go in you will be older than most of the recruits, so be prepared for two things:

1 you will (should) be a lot more mentally mature than the rest of the guys. They will annoy you a bit, and seem silly at times. You will also probably end up as a bit of a father or older brother figure. It's an added responsibility.

2 young people can (should) be staggeringly fit with amazing recovery rates, you will be less fit and take longer to recover. You will probably balanced that by the mental and physical stamina that you develop in your late 20s.

Go for it, you will have a ball.

marcg868

Swinger
About the being older thing, I kinda get used to these young uns giving me orders. Our Ward Sister is 25 and a lot of the nurses a good 5/6 years younger. But then again I can offer my life experience to them.

Hopefully as you say I can offer support and advice to younger lads in basic training.

Used to be really fit and healthy, but smoking and living the comfy life means I need to improve my stamina.

Latest Threads