28 Days Later

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Soldier_Why, Nov 22, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Just watched the film '28 Days Later' - not a bad film on the whole and a couple of gory scenes which always seems to please me in a film these days. What did piss me off though was the absolutely toss way in which the British soldiers were portrayed. OK they were the bad guys (sort of), but they were the most unconvincing soldiers I have ever seen on screen (and I include all those crap SSVC shorts in that statement).

The only moment that made me smile was, in the middle of all the destruction and the end of civilisation as we know it, the mad Major comes down for dinner in his Service Dress! I couldn't help but compare it to that British classic 'Carry on Up the Khyber' where they all insist on carrying on with the Officer's dinner party whilst the whole building is being blown to bits.

6 out of 10 for 28 Days Later I think.
  2. Agree with you Soldier Y. Good film, only ruined by the squaddie scenes. Good the way London was portrayed as a deserted city ! Eerie! Again, 6/10.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Yeah, good film. Mrs H didn't like it so thumbs up on the violence scale, kinda a pity that soldiers had opted to murder blokes so they can shag birds only 30 odd days into the 'terror' - I'm sure that it would have taken a bit longer on the eastern front... still, plot aside twas a reasonable movie.

Do dislike the 'soldiers all look the same therefore act the same' crap that we get tarnished with. Mind you, all sailors are a bit gay don't you think?
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Best part was the actual burning of Manchester, apparantly did £12 worth of damage!
  5. 28 Days Later was good, but have you seen Dog Soldiers? Now that's funny!!!
  6. There isn't 12 quids worth of property in Scumchester. Unless you're talking about the Coronation Street sets.
  7. I heard that the fires caused £12 worth of improvements!!
  8. They had to re-film a lot of the deserted London sequences, because at some point, a bunch of drunk clubbers decided to start shouting and jumping around while they were filming! :lol:
    Obviously not that deserted then!
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

They ask the director why he burnt Manchester- he said no real reason- just because he could!
  10. Its one of the best British films i've seen in ages.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

in that case, go see Love Actually, surprisingly little of hugh Grant (though actually I quite like him) and lots of Brit actors and stuff, written by the same chap that did 4 Weddings (is it Tony Curtis?). Its an excellent British movie.
  12. No..because everyone lives in London..I hate the "Everyone in the UK lives in London" Type Yank films!

.....I'll go see it anyway :?
  13. The Yanks like it because they think that Hugh Grant is the definition of English! They like the floppy-haired, nervous looking, "Oh... I...err...didn't realise there was anyone in here."
    Plus, they think that by watching Brit comedy, they're more intelligent, because we don't rely on slap-stick for humour. Whether they actually get the joke or not is a completely different story!
  14. Did someone say Hugh Grant!!!!
  15. Yeah, Mr. Happy and I mentioned Hugh Grant? Why? Does he make you go weak at the knees? :)