2717 MRAPs for "Homeland Security?"

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

good call - dont the USMC have 4000 odd up armoured humvees to get rid of as well?

3. Very bizarre solution though - I'd love to see the user requirement document outlining the rational for this purchase.

The only reason I can think of, and this is very tenious, is that the US give are trying to get the most out of their original investment in using these vehicles in a different role now the in-theatre need is drawing down.

Can't be cheap to run though and there are the reconditioning cost too. Makes you think it would be best to gift them to the host nation rathet than drag them back home?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. Call me cynical, but I think cost savings are perhaps the most unlikely reason for this incredible arming of "homeland security" forces that are Law enforcement personnel and NOT members of the military.

5. Indeed - a crazy situation

6. I have the truth, the US Government is planning on subverting its 60m-odd citizens with armed force. Go back to sleep you ******* loons.

7. Very erudite. Just a minor quibble--it is more like 300m of us. I will also sleep when I get sleepy.

8. If I had to drive through downtown Detroit during a riot or storm a compound full of Branch Davidians then I'd want one of these.

Most of the "outrage" is manufactured for partisan political purposes. If Bush had bought these we'd see the same arguments from the other side.

Let's face it, the US is approaching peak tinfoil. The sooner they all speak Spanish or split up and dump Jesusland the better. I miss the old America, the one that was free.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Fair shout, they are subverting their 300m-odd citizens. Wibble.

10. Is it black heliportable?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Perhaps but 2717 of them?

12. The border with Mexico is long and drug prohibition related violence is continuing to leak North. Snark aside, my money is on that as the driver. Imagine Mexican cartel levels of violence in US cities, you'd want that class of vehicle.

Increasingly US security commentators - well, those with low levels of partisan tinfoil - are sounding quite grim on the subject. And absent legalisation the money to be made from servicing US drug habits is so good no end is in sight. And with the Mexicans having to tacitly tolerate the trade to preserve the integrity of their nation state it's not going to get any better.