25pc of Services helicopters are out of action

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Sep 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [C]www.telegraph.co.uk

2. Even if they were all working what are we supposed to use to support Op Herrick?

3. Never heard "broken down" as a no fly excuse much in the past...................really!!!!

4. So of that nice big figure they've quoted how many are:

- Training aircraft ie, Griffins, Squirrels, etc?

- SAR aircraft which don't deploy?

- Shipboard aircraft (RN Lynx and Merlins)?

- Knackered Chinooks that haven't got the correct instruments to fly on Ops due to some Abbey Wood pen pusher not dotting the i's properly.

Its great when papers quote these huge figures but if they just opened up their 'Janes Big Book Of British Helicopters' they'd see that the number of aircraft assigned to JHC is a lot lower than 569.

Of course that wouldn't sell papers so why let the facts in the way of a good story eh?

5. Yes, obviously its a new system that over-shadows the usual D, P and C states.

6. I would echo the Stacker's comments. The required operating fleet numbers and actual aircraft numbers are two very different things. Count the Gate Guardians at RAF bases.

90% of statistics are made up?

7. To be honest I'm not that interested as to how many helicopters we've got in total. What I am interested in is the fact that there are far too few at the sharp end. I won't go into exact figures, but the amount of airframes that are currently in Iraq, supporting a major operation with road movement becoming increasingly dangerous, is absolutely criminal.

8. What gets to me is the fear that the MOD will set some arbitary target as to the number of airframes to be kept 'flyable' at any one time.

I'd rather that flights got canned because an airframe wasn't safe to fly and needed servicing than I ended up in one which got stacked.

Actually what I'd like to see is a political commitment to purchasing the required new airframes, and everything else which is required to keep an army functioning on operations.

9. Does this figure include Gate Guardians, Museum displays (Cosford, Hendon, aren't these airframes still on charge as opposed to being SoC?) , Ground instructional airframes at Culdrose, Halton and Cosford etc?

Or is the Government about to return to charge the Scout JW last flew back in 19-Longtime? :D

10. The figure is not set by the MoD, but by the "customer". It's laid out in a Customer Supplier Agreement.

Therefore if you're RAF, then blame Strike Command, etc.

11. 25 % down Well done the maintainers, in my time 75% availabe would have been good, Very Good.
    johm