250,000 rounds per insurgent?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rajaz, Sep 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Independant.
    By Andrew Buncombe in Washington. Published: 25 September 2005

Full article here: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article314944.ece

US forced to import bullets from Israel as troops use 250,000 for every rebel killed
    US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand. As a result the US is having to import supplies from Israel.

And I thought I was a crap shot.

Question: Is that 250,000 rounds fired by each septic?

2. Waaaaaah!

3. I'll take that as a yes, then.

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Nice attempt at a double-wah.

5. Cuts - Thankyou.

Rajaz - You are either a bit dim, or very intelligent doing a good job of pretending to be a bit dim.

A standard cyclic rate of automatic fire for an infantry rifle would be about 300rds/min. However, that doesn't take account of the need to change magazine, or the fact that, contrary to popular belief, even the American's do not spend all day long firing on automatic. Even if they did, they could not reasonably be expected to fire more than say 100rds/min for very long, and at this rate of fire it would take them 2500 minutes (or 41 hours 40 minutes) of continual firing to get through this many rounds. And this, then, takes no account of the weapon overheating, needing cleaning, or the fact that unless the insurgents are big fans of the film Zulu and really can't wait to get their hands on 70 virgins, the soldier will at some point have to move and go and find some more insurgents somewhere else.

Given the statistics, which do you think is the correct answer?

6. Well, as long as they are firing them at the insurgents.........they're not firing them at us.

7. Bits

I choose "very intelligent doing a good job of pretending to be a bit dim".

However, although I was attempting a bit of levity after a fine Sunday lunch and a few beers, I obviously accept your superior knowlege in these matters.

8. ... and they said that the A Team were crap shots!

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I think this measures up pretty well with the normal rate of rounds expended per hit.

The concept of aimed shots is pretty tricky in a firefight, let alone accurately aimed ones. Also, most ammo goes on 'keeping heads down' rather than being fired at anyone directly.

Typical cheap shot by the Independent, which knows sod all about these matters.

And which employs that cnut Fisk.

10. There's lies, damn lies, statistics, and a wah in there somewhere.

Since that'd be 1/4 million expended by all septics per insurgent - wah confirmed!

Another lazy Sunday afternoon thought: are kosher bullets rimless or full jacket?

11. Playing on the dcct last week ( a gucci sat range ) fired 700 rounds got 7 kills maybe i should think about sniper training :lol:

12. Coffee on monitor - Well in Woody :D

Is that 250,000 rounds of 5.56 , or 7.62 or 20mm etc? That's a lot of rounds, Iraqi scrappies must be driving around in Mercedes.

13. Sounds like my last apwt

14. :D :D

15. I can't remember where I read it and I can't find it any more on the Internet, but I distinctly recall seeing somewhere that there was a total expenditure of 90,000 rounds per insurgent. That's why I'm a bit surprised at the sudden leap to 250,000 rounds.
    The figure stuck in my mind because I also wondered if they meant ALL rounds, i.e. 9 mm, 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm, 50 BMG etc, since there was no calibre breakdown in the report.
    If I can find it again, I'll post it.

MsG